PDA

View Full Version : Ymca

getting there
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
How powerlifting friendly is the YMCA? The reason I ask is that I am thinking about switching from Gold's to the YMCA. My current gym is not very condusive to lifting and the YMCA is the next closest place to where I live.

-Joe

Guido
05-05-2009, 08:20 AM
It really depends on the Y. Not all of them are as hardcore as others. That said, most of them are pretty lifter friendly and some are quite hardcore. There is a Y up in Chicago near where my wife grew up called the Leaning Tower YMCA that was a pretty reknowned powerlifting gym back in the day, and still hosts several hardcore lifters. I think Ed Coan even lifted there at one time.

getting there
05-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I am going to take a tour of the place today so we will see how that goes. I used to lift at a good powerlifting gym about 4 years ago but the place went belly up and I've been a nomad ever since. It sucks because I was lifting at that gym for almost 15 years and I've been to 4 different ones in the past 4 years.

tnathletics2b
05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
The YMCA's in Nashville have been turning into sissy gyms the past couple of years. More and more free weights get replaced by more and more machines...

The Downtown Nashville Y even got rid of their leg press. Broke my heart. :bang:

I have noticed this at some other Y's around Tennessee. Don't know where you are, but good luck and I hope it ain't a sissy Y!

bencher8
05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
tnathletics...you should try the green hills Y....while its not a powerlifters gym, it is wayyy less sissy than all the others I have been in. I train there on wed for my DE bench...

tnathletics2b
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
tnathletics...you should try the green hills Y

Thanks for the advice... I went to Belmont so the Green Hills Y was just down the street. Lifted there some- it's real nice as far as Y's go. More often than not I just played basketball there and worked out at school, but I will have to check it out!

barbell01
05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
let us know what they think of your chalk mess and yelling. if they dont give you the boot....

getting there
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Never been big on yelling but I carry my chalk around in a tupperware container and try not to make a big mess with it. One time at a gym I was asked not to use chalk because it will clog up the heating/air conditioning system because it gets stuck in the intake vents. I thought he was joking at first but apparently not. Weird.

barbell01
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
thats hilarious. clog vents! hahahaha

evilxxx
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I lift at a Ymca and never had any problems with anything , and there is alot of yelling and tossing ...but the cardio area is in an enclosed room with tv's so I don't think the people that go just to do cardio can hear anything(its loud in there anyways due to the indoor soccer field). They used to have chalk out but because of some kids wasting it and making a huge mess they don't provide it anymore...I still take my own in a Ziploc bag. The only problem I got is that they have those WIDE york rubber coated plates and you are limited on how much you can load on a bar with those things.

youngguns
05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
the ymca i lift at is pretty nice, theres quite a few curl jockeys, but other than that not too bad. i drop the weights from above my head (bumpers of course) after a clean and jerk and no one really has a problem with it. the treadmill fairies tend to look in disgust while i grunt during deadlifts, but it actually get a pretty good kick out of it. the staff doesnt seem to really care what you do unless you're breaking things or disturbing others.

Fighter_15
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I've never had a problem lifting at the Y. No one ever complains about much. They have rules on a board and one of them says that your not allowed to use chalk but I use it when I'm deadlifting and no one has ever said anything.

vdizenzo
05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
tnathletics...you should try the green hills Y....while its not a powerlifters gym, it is wayyy less sissy than all the others I have been in. I train there on wed for my DE bench...

So is it more sissy or less sissy on Wednesdays?

Rob Luyando
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
So is it more sissy or less sissy on Wednesdays?

LMAO! Remember Vicent this comes froma guy who has named his bench shirt "Sally" on another thread.