PDA

View Full Version : bench shirts

barbell01
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
what do poeple think of their bench shirts? anybody tried the metal ace bench shirt?

Brian C
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Never tried the metal ace, but I love the new APT Apex. Easy to get on, comfortable to wear, and amazing support and pop throughout the ROM. The rear collar is scooped nice and low also and makes it easy to manipulate the shirt. With a pretty big groove, its great for both archers and non archers. Better than my Rage X imo. Im ordering a 2 ply and hear it acts more like a 3. Cant wait. I get about 120 out of the 1 ply right now.

KarstenDD
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
The ACE is VERY stiff and a properly sized one will take a lot of weight to touch and it has more stopping power than pop. It's also very thick, just like the ACE suit and briefs. Other than that it is cut very similarly to an SDP.

brock7142
05-05-2009, 06:01 PM
This is going to sound really really dumb, and I don't mean to take it off subject....

But what is a "Bench Shirt"? Isn't that just a shirt you wear while you workout?:confused::confused:

MarcusWild
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I've a big fan of the super duper phenom. It's much easier to touch in than most 2-ply shirts. That matters for us peons that bench under 800 lbs. It has a lot of pop too. The downside is they are expensive, and you have to get it super tight for it to work right.

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
This is going to sound really really dumb, and I don't mean to take it off subject....

But what is a "Bench Shirt"? Isn't that just a shirt you wear while you workout?:confused::confused:

Says the man telling all the lifters how to get stronger in the football thread...

hahahahahha

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I've a big fan of the super duper phenom. It's much easier to touch in than most 2-ply shirts. That matters for us peons that bench under 800 lbs. It has a lot of pop too. The downside is they are expensive, and you have to get it super tight for it to work right.

I know T. Bell speaks VERY highly of both the Super and the Super Duper Phenom

brock7142
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Says the man telling all the lifters how to get stronger in the football thread...

hahahahahha

I'm sorry if I don't waste a career lifting weights in the quantities that have no relevent usage outside a gym.

XD :thumbup:

All in good humor of course :wink:

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry if I don't waste a career lifting weights in the quantities that have no relevent usage outside a gym.

then quit posting in the Powerlifting section

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
back on topic, what shirt does the OP have?

brock7142
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
back on topic, what shirt does the OP have?

How do they work?

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
How do they work?

like this:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3659/dumbasst.jpg

Lones Green
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
like this:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3659/dumbasst.jpg

I love you

Rob Luyando
05-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Jeremy Frey, Josh McMillian, and Matt Kroc have all made huge gains since switching to the Metal Ace shirt. All three of them have used the Rage X and two of them have used the Super Phenom and they say their is no comparison. I should have one on the way soon

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Jeremy Frey, Josh McMillian, and Matt Kroc have all made huge gains since switching to the Metal Ace shirt. All three of them have used the Rage X and two of them have used the Super Phenom and they say their is no comparison. I should have one on the way soon

can't wait to see vids

Clifford Gillmore
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I like my shirt, well I did. I had an inzer DD closed back that was awesome to jump into once every couple of months, if I kept with it I would of gotten an easy 100-125lbs out of it. My training partner had a phenom I think, he got about 10lbs out of it, it was pretty loose - but it still cut like hell!

Travis Bell
05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Will is right, I've used the Super and SD Phenom and very much liked them both. I really enjoy the ease you can touch with depending on how you adjust them and man they are super fast shirts.

I have tried the Ace shirt on two occasions and didn't like it for either time, however maybe I just had the wrong sizing. Rob is certainly right about Kroc and Jeremy Frey, they have made some crazy gains, especially Jeremy. McMillian though, last I saw was wearing a SD Phenom, he'd just blacked out the logos

In the near future I will be trying some shirts from Titan which I am very much looking forward to. I always enjoy a new challenge

bencher8
05-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I think a lot of my shirt...I've named it sally. I woulddnt think of lifting without her...

Brian Hopper
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I think a lot of my shirt...I've named it sally. I woulddnt think of lifting without her...

LOL, thats pretty funny!

MarcusWild
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM

Don't you switch shirts every week? Whore.... :)

mastermonster
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I love my Titan Katanas! I've only tried one Metal shirt. It was a Viking Pro Bencher (2 ply). I couldn't get as much as in a 1 ply fury or F6 (hadn't tried the Katana at that time). Way, way more in the 2 ply Titans. I haven't tried any other Metal equipment to make a judgement from.

pie zar
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Never tried the metal ace, but I love the new APT Apex. Easy to get on, comfortable to wear, and amazing support and pop throughout the ROM. The rear collar is scooped nice and low also and makes it easy to manipulate the shirt. With a pretty big groove, its great for both archers and non archers. Better than my Rage X imo. Im ordering a 2 ply and hear it acts more like a 3. Cant wait. I get about 120 out of the 1 ply right now.

do you think the apt apex would make a good beginner shirt?

Rob Luyando
05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Will is right, I've used the Super and SD Phenom and very much liked them both. I really enjoy the ease you can touch with depending on how you adjust them and man they are super fast shirts.

I have tried the Ace shirt on two occasions and didn't like it for either time, however maybe I just had the wrong sizing. Rob is certainly right about Kroc and Jeremy Frey, they have made some crazy gains, especially Jeremy. McMillian though, last I saw was wearing a SD Phenom, he'd just blacked out the logos

In the near future I will be trying some shirts from Titan which I am very much looking forward to. I always enjoy a new challenge

McMilian uses an ace your thinking of Hobmeier with the Stealth shirt. I tried one on at a meet few weeks ago and the fit and material is sick. I will hit a grand for sure!

Rob Luyando
05-06-2009, 07:39 AM

OK you now owe me a protein drink as I spit it up laugh my ass off! "Sally" Just needs to grow some balls and it will work just fine.

Rob Luyando
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM

If you are looking for a good beginner shirt get a Metal Blast shirt. Its a very user friendly shirt and will give you plenty of support!

Travis Bell
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
McMilian uses an ace your thinking of Hobmeier with the Stealth shirt. I tried one on at a meet few weeks ago and the fit and material is sick. I will hit a grand for sure!

You're right! My mistake.

Looking forward to seeing you in the Ace shirt

SELK
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
The Ace shirt sounds like its good, I had a metal pro viking that I used once and preferred my rage-x.

hopefully the ace's last, ive found that for the money the rage-x is a good deal because they last.

bencher8
05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Marcus, your right...im a whore..a good shirt comes along, with a couple more pounds in her and I flip like an overdone pancake

I would tell ya'll that I cut a hole in the belly of my shirt, but I dont wanna tell you what I use it for.....you all will think less of me lol

JK1
05-06-2009, 04:47 PM

I know this is off topic, but its really nice to see this tool banned on this forum. He'll come back with variations of the Brock name. He's been a troll for at least 7 years on other forums---claiming to be a late teens, early 20's lifter in one thread, then giving stupid strength advice in another--always ending with him pissing people off, playing dumb, asking stupid questions, and then getting banned.

Thanks mods for being ontop of things.....

Back on topic: I love my Rage X--single ply. Am I reading things right that the new APT shirt is as good or better than the Rage X in terms of ease of fit and how much you are getting out of it?

My wife on the other hand is in a limbo with her shirt. She has major problems with the Rage X cutting the back of her arms and at times struggling to touch. I've heard the APT shirt doesn't cut the rear of the arm as much, but instead is rough on the anterior delts for those that have problems with it cutting the skin at all. Do those of you who've used it see this?

Thanks.

Jonah
05-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Marcus, your right...im a whore..a good shirt comes along, with a couple more pounds in her and I flip like an overdone pancake

I would tell ya'll that I cut a hole in the belly of my shirt, but I dont wanna tell you what I use it for.....you all will think less of me lol

Nah we wouldn't think less of you :D

Brian C
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM

I does take a lot of weight to touch in. It took 475 for me to touch. If your in that range, then I would say yes. The groove is pretty wide and he shirt doesnt take long at all to learn.

Brian C
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Back on topic: I love my Rage X--single ply. Am I reading things right that the new APT shirt is as good or better than the Rage X in terms of ease of fit and how much you are getting out of it?

I prefer it imho. Im getting about 120 out of the 1 ply. Its EXTREMELY easy to put on yourself. But like I said it does take some weight to touch. It still bites pretty good in your tris too,but that comes the territory.

Jesse Hernandez
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
So which is a better shirt for a Heavyweight that arches?

RageX
Apex
Super Katana

I use the RageX and love it, but im not opposed to getting a different shirt, mines 2 years old and a guy said that I have runs in my shirt across the chest, so it may be time for a new shirt. Any help is appreciated.

Travis Bell
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Really depends on your form and how you bench. Simply being a heavyweight isn't going to say a whole lot

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
05-07-2009, 01:44 PM

RageX
Apex
Super Katana

I use the RageX and love it, but im not opposed to getting a different shirt, mines 2 years old and a guy said that I have runs in my shirt across the chest, so it may be time for a new shirt. Any help is appreciated.

Just get a new Inzer Rage X!

Jesse Hernandez
05-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Just get a new Inzer Rage X!

probly the best thing huh?

vdizenzo
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM

RageX
Apex
Super Katana

If a shirt is working don't switch it. Just get another Rage X.

Jesse Hernandez
05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
If a shirt is working don't switch it. Just get another Rage X.

Well, its working, but not like it used to, before I used to get around 100lbs out of it, now im only getting like 45-55lbs. I understand it may be the shirt itself. But my friend was telling me the Super Katana is a really good shirt. So I was kinda torn, ya know?

Travis Bell
05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
If you have runs in the chest plate thats why your bench is going down

The SK is a great shirt, just a ton of stopping power so it depends on how good of a shirted bencher you are.

Jesse Hernandez
05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, im not doing less weight, im just not getting what I used to get out of the shirt, im a lot stronger raw now. and im not getting the same caryover. I mean im 1 boarding 525. But I cant competition bench 480, im getting little to no pop from the bottom. And the reason I like the idea of a Super Katana is because I arch, pretty well for a big guy.

Travis Bell
05-07-2009, 08:00 PM
arch is only one factor to consider. With the SK you need to tuck hard. If you can't tuck very hard, you're going to have a super hard time touching.

The nice thing about getting a new rage is you won't have to re- learn the shirt when you get a new one in

However if you are just looking for something different though, I think the SK would be a great choice

Jesse Hernandez
05-07-2009, 08:06 PM
May be in over my head as far as technicality of a bench shirt goes. Not sure the tuck thing, is that when you tuck your elbows? At anyrate, i'll more than likely go the way of the RageX bc like you said, I wont have to re learn it.

Brian C
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
May be in over my head as far as technicality of a bench shirt goes. Not sure the tuck thing, is that when you tuck your elbows? At anyrate, i'll more than likely go the way of the RageX bc like you said, I wont have to re learn it.

Since you know your shirt and aren't sure about adapting to another, I'd say just buy another rage x. But I switched from a rage x to an apex after the first time I used it. It is very easy to learn with a pretty wide groove. You can manipulate the collar to touch higher or lower. And it has a smaller chest plate and a more forward arm position Than the rage x with great stopping power. Its a really great shirt if you do want to switch.

douglasoh5
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Im using the ace shirt rite now and get a **** load out of it......my last meet like 3 weeks ago I hit 625....my last heavy bench day before the meet i benched 375 raw which is a pr...the shirts are really good.....i only weighed 263 at the meet...so i think you can get alot out of this shirt....j frey is geting a lil over 300 out of the shirt

Jesse Hernandez
05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Im using the ace shirt rite now and get a **** load out of it......my last meet like 3 weeks ago I hit 625....my last heavy bench day before the meet i benched 375 raw which is a pr...the shirts are really good.....i only weighed 263 at the meet...so i think you can get alot out of this shirt....j frey is geting a lil over 300 out of the shirt

Say it isnt so?!!!!

single ply?:strong:

Travis Bell
05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
the Ace is not single ply

Jesse Hernandez
05-08-2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.criticalbench.com/single-ply-Apex-bench-shirt.htm

I guess they have a single ply version.

bencher8
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I thought the Ace was a single ply...from what I have heard about it, its just a very, very thick single ply. Almost the same thickness as a double rage x...

Travis Bell
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.criticalbench.com/single-ply-Apex-bench-shirt.htm

I guess they have a single ply version.

That's the APEX, not the ACE

They are (the Ace) much much thicker than the Rage, Paul, you're thinking of the Apex as well, that is about as thick as a Rage, cut differently though and different material

Jesse Hernandez
05-08-2009, 09:45 AM
oh, nice correction! I didnt catch that, is the Apex a good shirt?

Travis Bell
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I have heard lots of good things about it. Supposed to be very easy to put on. I think BrianC has one?

douglasoh5
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
the ace is laminated triple ply shirt

Jesse Hernandez
05-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, i cant wear an ace in the USAPL or I would.....:)

Anyguys have personal experience in the Apex shirt?

Travis Bell
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Apex isn't certified for USAPL

Seems more political than anything else, but it's not allowed so you're stuck there too.

Jesse Hernandez
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Apex isn't certified for USAPL

Seems more political than anything else, but it's not allowed so you're stuck there too.

damn, I misread a quote on powerliftingwatch... I thought it said that the USAPL and WABDL were the only ones allowing it.....****.

Well, i guess its almost an easy choice....Katana or RageX. What I really want is more pop out of the bottom....guess we all do though.

vdizenzo
05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Just pick a shirt already. It's not going to do the lifting for you.

Dingus
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, i cant wear an ace in the USAPL or I would.....:)

Anyguys have personal experience in the Apex shirt?

Wear one anyways they won't notice.

Jesse Hernandez
05-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Just pick a shirt already. It's not going to do the lifting for you.

Im a college student. Money is tight, so I want to make sure im getting the best one......is that a crime?

Rob Luyando
05-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Im a college student. Money is tight, so I want to make sure im getting the best one......is that a crime?

Do you go to the bar and chase women like most college kids do? Your not gonna get any simpathy here.

If you are going to compete in single ply then I would say the Katana's results speak for themselves. But if your going Multi ply I would say the Metal Ace.
And Yes Bencher8 is a shirt whore

MarcusWild
05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Super katana is good if you can open at 500+. Any less and you won't touch with one that fits right.

Ryano
05-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Do you go to the bar and chase women like most college kids do? Your not gonna get any simpathy here.

Come on Rob. Cut the guy some slack. If I had a choice between a bench shirt and gettin' drunk & laid, I'd still be liftin' RAW!!! But, since I'm fat & 50, I don't get no booty = I got huge PILE of bench shirts. Just the fact that he's willin' to spend $150 party money on a shirt is admirable.

Jesse Hernandez
05-10-2009, 12:50 AM

If you are going to compete in single ply then I would say the Katana's results speak for themselves. But if your going Multi ply I would say the Metal Ace.
And Yes Bencher8 is a shirt whore

Actually, I have an 18month old son and a Fiancee that comes first, plus rent, plus im a full time student and play football for my university.......ect ect.

So when I get the time/cash to spend on powerlifting, I would like to make sure im getting the right equipment, ya know? Not asking for sympathy, just not looking for smart ass generalized comments either.

Ummm... I've hit a 1.5 board 525lbs in my older rageX thats in question. So I assume with a good shirt, 500 would be attainable.

Rob Luyando
05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Actually, I have an 18month old son and a Fiancee that comes first, plus rent, plus im a full time student and play football for my university.......ect ect.

So when I get the time/cash to spend on powerlifting, I would like to make sure im getting the right equipment, ya know? Not asking for sympathy, just not looking for smart ass generalized comments either.

Ummm... I've hit a 1.5 board 525lbs in my older rageX thats in question. So I assume with a good shirt, 500 would be attainable.

Don't be so thinned skinned JR! Like I recomended above if you are lifting single ply Katana is probably the best out there. Multy ply Metal Ace. Both shirts will last and you will get your money's wotrth.

If you hit a 525 to a 1 1/2 brd no reason why you cant hit atleast thatt much full range. The lower you bring the bar the more you will get out of the shirt!

evilxxx
05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Just go single ply super katana...you are lifting usapl? go to the IPF you tube page and look at all the bench videos from 2008 ,you gonna get tired of seeing katanas.

Jesse Hernandez
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't be so thinned skinned JR! Like I recomended above if you are lifting single ply Katana is probably the best out there. Multy ply Metal Ace. Both shirts will last and you will get your money's wotrth.

If you hit a 525 to a 1 1/2 brd no reason why you cant hit atleast thatt much full range. The lower you bring the bar the more you will get out of the shirt!

I'll tough'n up, I cant tell sarcasim from a computer screen! :D
I agree about the 525. I'll be purchasing the Super Katana when I get the money to do so.

Travis Bell
05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Man this thread just keeps going and going

bencher8
05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
bump lol travis I know, Im just a funny guy huh?