PDA

View Full Version : deloading

mike95763
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I was reading an earlier post and came across this:

Deload grrrrrrrrr. Most lifters don't have to think about deloading until they have trained heavy for five years straight. A deload for someone in the beginning stages of heavy training is if they have a wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. on a training day and have to skip it. When I hear/read about some guys deloading I want to puke. Get strong--then deload! That's the truth and I'm just the ********* to say it.

I deload every 3-4 weeks (usually working up to sets of 5 in the 80% range rather than a 1RM), not really because I want to, but because if I don't my training goes backwards. I can usually have 2 weeks of solid ME efforts, working up to a 1RM for my squat/deadlift, but then if I try to work up to a heavy single for a 3rd or sometimes 4th week in a row my lifting will suck. Also for bench I don't progress nearly as much if I don't replace an ME day with an RE day every few weeks. I have been training in a powerlifting style for only 6 months or so. I am curious now if perhaps I am doing something wrong or if perhaps I am an exception to what Vinny wrote. What are your thoughts on deloading? Who should do it and how often, and what do you consider deloading?

Sean S
05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
You've already figured out what works best for you, so don't worry about it too much. He's right about the fact that deloading becomes a more important variable when you get much stronger.

Pete22
05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't deload often, but the week before a meet is always a deload for me. I'm still fairly new to powerlifting training, but I feel like my body and mind just need to scale it back for a week every 8-12 weeks.

dropshot001
05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't deload often, but the week before a meet is always a deload for me. I'm still fairly new to powerlifting training, but I feel like my body and mind just need to scale it back for a week every 8-12 weeks.

that's probably a good base to go off of

MarcusWild
05-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I deload after every 3 weeks. That usually means it's just a week of training raw, no bands, and no chains. I'll work up to a heavy set of 3 or 5 instead of a 1 RM. I think some people wouldn't consider it a deload, but it helps and is less intense than my normal training.

Granted, I've been wearing gear less often for ME movements lately, and I feel less need to deload.

vdizenzo
05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
I was reading an earlier post and came across this:

I deload every 3-4 weeks (usually working up to sets of 5 in the 80% range rather than a 1RM), not really because I want to, but because if I don't my training goes backwards. I can usually have 2 weeks of solid ME efforts, working up to a 1RM for my squat/deadlift, but then if I try to work up to a heavy single for a 3rd or sometimes 4th week in a row my lifting will suck. Also for bench I don't progress nearly as much if I don't replace an ME day with an RE day every few weeks. I have been training in a powerlifting style for only 6 months or so. I am curious now if perhaps I am doing something wrong or if perhaps I am an exception to what Vinny wrote. What are your thoughts on deloading? Who should do it and how often, and what do you consider deloading?

Are you varying your ME exercises?

mike95763
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Vinny, I have been varying my ME exercises to some extent. I mostly just change ROM or switch things up between bands and straight weight. I think it is probably just me. Last week I put on a squat suit for the very first time and worked up to pretty easy 635 and I could barely get out of bed the next day. I don't really ever get sore from squatting, but I feel so fatigued the day after that it is hard to function at work. If I go up to a heavy single 3 or 4 weeks in a row it takes me at least a week before I feel normal again. Right now I am planning on doing heavy squats only every other week just because it seems that the less I squat the better my bench goes and right now that is my biggest weakness. Thanks for the comments everyone.

vdizenzo
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Vinny, I have been varying my ME exercises to some extent. I mostly just change ROM or switch things up between bands and straight weight. I think it is probably just me. Last week I put on a squat suit for the very first time and worked up to pretty easy 635 and I could barely get out of bed the next day. I don't really ever get sore from squatting, but I feel so fatigued the day after that it is hard to function at work. If I go up to a heavy single 3 or 4 weeks in a row it takes me at least a week before I feel normal again. Right now I am planning on doing heavy squats only every other week just because it seems that the less I squat the better my bench goes and right now that is my biggest weakness. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Periodization may be the way to go for you.

Detard
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I only do a true deload the week before a meet or if I'm feeling really burnt out. Usually about the 6th week though, I use some higher reps and lower weight to give my body a break from the heavy loads.

MarcusWild
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
In my experience, lifts in full gear are far more taxing on the body than raw lifts. I swear a fully geared squat on ME day takes more than it gives. I'd rather work up sometimes on DE day in briefs. On ME day, I stay raw or briefs only, and it seems to help me feel much better overall.

HP666
05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm curious as to what your program looked like/what you were doing before you started PL 6 months ago. You mentioned that on a regular week you work up to a 1RM; let's say it takes you 8 sets to do that, how many reps are you doing in set 1? Are you doing doubles, triples, singles only? I think your problem may be the lack of laying down a proper foundation before you started doing heavy weights for small reps. And I'm not knocking your strength or ability or anything like that, so don't be offended. But I've seen it before first hand. A guy wants to do Westside so he just jumps into doing max weights right away and gets good at doing doubles or singles with say, 550, but never did any ground work/foundation laying work/building fundamentals they like to say in other sports, so when I put 350 on the bar and tell him to do 10 he falls apart, or can't walk the next day. I can take you on the basketball court and let you shoot 3 pointers all day, you're gonna get good at it, but if you can't do a lay up you're not gonna be a very good basketball player. I think you may want to take a step back and do a lot more repetition work with sub maximal weights. I can't recommend enough to read Matt Rhodes' article "Getting Ready To Powerlift". http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm Just my $.02.

mike95763
05-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm curious as to what your program looked like/what you were doing before you started PL 6 months ago ... A guy wants to do Westside so he just jumps into doing max weights right away and gets good at doing doubles or singles with say, 550, but never did any ground work/foundation laying work/building fundamentals they like to say in other sports, so when I put 350 on the bar and tell him to do 10 he falls apart, or can't walk the next day...

It is interesting you mentioned this because I was thinking something like the opposite. Before starting powerlifting I did lots of high rep work and cardio stuff. I used to do periodization stuff where I would increase the weight every week in squats doing sets of 20. In October 08 I could do 315 for 20 reps but my 1RM was 335, which I would sometimes get and sometimes fail on depending on the day. By April my raw max was 507, and now I can do well over 600 in a single ply suit. I still do rep work sometimes on my light day where I will do 315 to 365 for sets of 10. I was thinking that maybe my squat in particular went up so fast my body didn't really have time to adjust to the heavier weight. So now I can do the heavy weight but my CNS still isn't used to it so it takes a while for that part to recover. But that is just speculation and I truthfully have no idea what I am talking about.