PDA

View Full Version : Program height and weights

Ryan Hale
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I realize this has gone on for life,but can someone give me a good reason why a players height and weights are always exaggerated in programs?
For example in high school ball they always add a couple inches and 10-15 #'s to a players real or true size.
And does this go on at the college and pro level also?
Baseball,basketball,they all do this?

Thanks for the input and help.

Ryan Hale

tnathletics2b
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Ryan,

I was a college pitcher and I added 10 pounds to my weight to in an effort to be more "marketable" to pro teams. Football players do it for the same reason. High school linebacker Joe Brown wants to play at LSU so he adds an inch and 15 or 20 pounds to his stats. Difficult to tell with pads on, so who really knows if they are true or not?

Ryan Hale
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply,apperciate it.

So do you think once you get to the pro's the numbers are right on,or do they players/coaches add to them?

Ryan Hale

Sensei
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
It goes on in college and pros as well.

KoSh
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Not only that, but it's used as a tool to throw an opposing team off your scent when you scout them.

In high school, I was one of the stronger guys on the team (which at the time, was pathetic for strength) and I really weighed about 165 pounds and I was our starting center. I was 5'8.5". They had me listed as 5'10" 200 pounds. The reason for that is so that when an opposing team sees the center on film, they won't realize that by lining a nose on me I could be taken advantage of. Most teams never figured it out.

That goes on every where, at every level where they produce roster sheets that other teams view.

For that reason and for the reasons that tna listed.

schmitty199
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I guess people do it to try and make an intimidation factor to the opposing team? I was listed spot on last season, 5'10 194. But I suppose 5'10 200 would sound better?

Mike G
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I know a lot of high school coaches that lie about height and weight. They also seem very fast with their watches on 40's. Quick example, the school I have coached at has four or five kids running 4.4 - 4.5 40's. Yeah, they're fast kids, but they aren't that fast. It all goes back to Kosh's point about throwing other teams off. I don't even read rosters anymore because they are so misleading.