PDA

View Full Version : Deads

GHOGH
05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, I haven't Deadlifted in over 10 years. Last week I pulled 405. Not bad.

Anyway, I was wondering what the proper, if there is one, hieght is for doing rack pulls. And what other accessory exercises are there for deads.

thanks

HP666
05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
You can do rack pulls from wherever you want/wherever you feel it will help you the most. For some it's just off the ground, some may need more work from just below or just above the knee. Some people rotate them all the time.

barbell01
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
absolutely, do rack pulls from all sorts of heights. as far as assistance work goes, the list is endless. tons of glute/ham, sldl, rows, SQUATS, rdl, etc.......... i believe squatting and glute/ham work is the most important thing to do when trying to improve my deadlift but i train 3 lifts. some guys believe that deadlifting is the most important thing when trying to get a huge deadlift but if you are gonna pull hard every week, i would suspect your other lifts would have to be put on hold as far as making good gains goes.

MarcusWild
05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
If you can rack pull more than 10% over your max from the floor, then the pin is too high. I'd pick heights that focus on your weaknesses the most.

As for accessory exercises, there are a ton of them. Anything that works the upper back, lower back, glutes, hips (mostly sumo), or hamstrings can help. It really depends if you are sumo vs. conventional and where you miss. Then you can make sure you get the most bang for the buck on accessory movements.

I've seen guys do rack pulls above the knee with 15-20% over their max. Then they go to a meet and only get one good deadlift. The bar is glued to the floor for their 2nd and 3rd attempt. They were doing rack pulls for ego vs. having a training plan. They were obviously weak off the floor, so they should have been focusing on that instead.

jtteg_x
05-07-2009, 03:52 AM
i think the greatest tool to aide deadlifting for me were bands. reverse band, pulling against bands, speed work with light bands, bands off the rack, etc. what are your weak points? where do you seem to stall throughout the pull?

samadhi_smiles
05-07-2009, 06:49 AM
really heavy DB rows have pushed my deadlift numbers up better than anything the last little bit. But I may be an anomaly since my legs have never been the weakest link in my deadlifting.

GHOGH
05-07-2009, 05:16 PM
i think the greatest tool to aide deadlifting for me were bands. reverse band, pulling against bands, speed work with light bands, bands off the rack, etc. what are your weak points? where do you seem to stall throughout the pull?

Honestly I am not sure were my weak point is. I pulled pretty evenly all the way through. Maybe should try a little heavier weight and see were I need work.

Thanks for the advice

GHOGH
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will definetaly put it to my advantage

ChickenLegs83
05-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok, I haven't Deadlifted in over 10 years. Last week I pulled 405. Not bad.

Anyway, I was wondering what the proper, if there is one, hieght is for doing rack pulls. And what other accessory exercises are there for deads.

thanks

Heavy good mornings.

Then more heavy good mornings.

Followed by more heavy good mornings.

GHOGH
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Heavy good mornings.

Then more heavy good mornings.

Followed by more heavy good mornings.

Nice :strong:

ChickenLegs83
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Nice :strong:

:D

Bent-leg and arch-back GMs for 3-5 reps and straight-leg GMs for 6-10 reps.