PDA

View Full Version : So, is 3 months enough...

aaron_c
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Is three months really enough time to get pretty fast? I'm wanting to play some college intramurals this coming fall (flag football and basketball), but the teams my friends have are seriously good. They don't run daily or really even work hard, heck, some of them even smoke- they are just naturally athletic I guess.

Is three months, working at a program like "straight-8's" someone mentioned, enough to get me the speed I'll need to compete with your above average 18-22 year old athletically? I'm planning to do this over the summer:

M Rippetoes
T run morning, boxing afternoon
W Rippetoes
TH run morning, boxing afternoon
F Rippetoes

thanks for any opinions or advice!

KingJustin
05-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you trying to improve your speed, or improve your cardio as it relates to basketball and flag football?

If you're trying to improve your speed, you want to be doing things like 20-100m sprints, box jumps (don't go overboard), DE Squat + box jumps together, running sprints with a ~15lb vest, some plyometrics (don't go overboard), (max effort and dynamic effort) squats, (ME and DE) deadlifts (use snatch grip sometimes), cleans, snatches and glute-ham raises. It might be worth strengthening your calves and doing calf plyos. With this kind of time frame, I would do a mix of a conjugate/linear program. The whole time, you want to be doing all of that together, but early on you probably want more strength work and less plyo/speed work. As the time gets closer, you want more speed/plyo work and less strength work. But, the whole time you are doing some of everything.

aaron_c
05-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Trying to improve speed- I would think better cardio would come with it. Can you elaborate on what I should start doing 2 days a week? Boxing is to go along with my Gracie Jiu Jitsu work I've done, I just think it can be a useful skill at some point in one's life.

KingJustin
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
You are going to have to be more clear with me on what your goals are. I gave you some specific things that you should work into your training if your goal is to increase your speed.

If your goals are more broad -- i.e. get good at boxing, flag football, etc, then you'll have to be more specific. Explain to me when you want to peak on everything and I'll try to come up with something. The more broad your goals are, the longer you will need to see significant improvement in everything.

Also, have you started your boxing classes? I've done MMA and it's pretty demanding. If you're not at a pretty high level already, then doing 7 workouts a week might be too much.

And, given that you are 171 lbs, running (I'm assuming you are meaning distance) will have very little carry-over to sprint speed (which is what matters for flag football). I'm not sure what kind of shape you're in, but very little conditioning is needed for flag football, in my experience. A LOT of conditioning is needed for boxing.

aaron_c
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
The jiu-jitsu I was doing kicked my butt and I got into shape QUICK, but I stopped that around mid-December because it just costs too much; when I infer that I'm not in great cardio shape, it's in comparison to when I was doing that. I guess the main thing I'm looking for right now, over the summer, is sprinting speed- and I want to peak at early to mid August. My feet just aren't as quick as they will need to be and I'm not nearly as fast as the people who I'll be playing with/against.

KingJustin
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok. What do I need to work around? i.e. are you still going to be doing boxing twice/week? Do you get conditioning work in boxing practice?

Do you want the plan to be SOLELY to increase your foot speed, or do you also want things like improved cardio, improved upper body strength, etc?
(The more things you want to accomplish, the less each will be accomplished)

Matrick
05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like alittle too much, if you want to get fast, look at some of the stuff of Kelly Baggett or Joe DeFrancos WSB.

hellofit4
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
It's a little difficult , but you can have a try . Nothing is difficult you need put your heart in it .You also need a good training plan
Best regards https://www.revenuecents.com/upload/50/1239783018/random.gif

aaron_c
05-09-2009, 11:34 AM
As far as what to work around- I want to work on speed alone on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. MWF I'll be doing weight lifting. I'm basically going for many peoples' goal; bigger faster stronger. The stronger and bigger parts I'm improving at a nice rate, not worried about that, the speed I'm not sure what to do for.

KingJustin
05-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I would actually usually tell you to do Westside For Skinny Bastards here. But if you're making progress with SS (everyone does), then keep doing that, and I'll just steal some of the speed stuff. Changing routines is the suck. Just make sure your diet is good.

(I'm assuming you are dropping boxing)
For Rippetoe's stuff, start learning the clean. Have someone that knows what they are doing teach you. Pay them if necessary. Find an olympic lifting gym somewhere near you. Whatever. Don't learn from some loser that's doing the lifts wrong.

Since that covers 3 days a week, I'm just going to give advice on what to do for 2 of your "off" (no longer) days. I recommend using Sunday and then Thursday for these workouts.

Phase 1 - 2 weeks (optional)
Day 1 & 2: For speed work, the first thing you need to do is start running sprints. Your body probably just doesn't know how to run at this point. So for the first couple of weeks, just spend twice a week running 60m sprints. 6 sets, full recovery in between sets. This should not be cardiovascularly challenging. It would be ideal if you could run your sprints on Sunday and then any other day. If you're an OK runner, you can skip this.

Phase 2 - 3 weeks
Day 1: After that, I'd just steal DeFranco's plan for a few weeks. Sunday sprints if possible so your legs are fresh. Do something like:
10-yard sprints 10 sprints with 1 minute rest
20-yard sprints 6 sprints with 2 minutes rest
40-yard sprints 4 sprints with 4 minutes rest
Day 2: On whatever day you planned on resting, do some general conditioning work. You want to pick unique movements from what you are doing on SS and you don't want to go anywhere near failure. BUT, you do want to be doing seriously high intensity and your lungs should be very tired. So, do stuff like push-ups, sit-ups, running, rowing, tire flips, prowler pushes, sled drags, burpees, box jumps, etc. Do at least 3 of those together in a circuit. (and other stuff). Short, 15 minutes or less, high intensity.

Phase 3 - 4 weeks
Day 1: After doing this plan for a few (i.e. 4) weeks, start lengthening out your sprints. More in the 60m-80m range.
Day 2: And on the other day, rotate between cardio and plyometrics. On the plyometrics days, start doing box jump variations with significant rest in between.

Phase 4 - 4 weeks
Day 1: Do this for a few (i.e. 4) weeks, and then switch the sprint day to include a vest. You want to use a weight that is not going to change your form. Ideally, you want to add weight each week. Do a few sets there, and then do a few sets of 60m without the vest.
Day 2: Also, switch the cardio days to plyometrics. So now instead of going every other week, you're doing plyos every week. Just do box jump variations (look these up online).

Phase 5 - 3 weeks
When you're about 3 weeks out, switch both days a bit.
Day 1: On the running days, start doing running-specific plyometrics (you don't have to do too many). Kelly Bagget has a good article for this on bodybuilding.com I think. Slowly phase out the weighted vest runs, and cut down the volume on the sprints.
Day 2: On the box jump days, for every other week, do the same plyometric drills, but do a little more. The opposite week, do more of the plyos from Kelly Bagget.

One more thing that is very important: Warming up/cooling down. I can't remember whether Rippetoe gives a warm-up to do or not, but your warm-up period is a great time to improve/maintain your cardiovascular ability and increase your work capacity.

Work up to a progressively longer and more dense warm-up.
You should, at the very least, do dynamic stretches (look these up) for your full body. As time moves on, work in some bodyweight movements (push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc.), some jump rope, some agility drills, some quick Oly lift complexes, and maybe a short run/row (i.e. run 400m).

When you are done working out, you'll want to cool down and then do static stretches for your full body. I love weight-loaded stretching. That's what I would do (Look these up; may help to look up Doggcrapp extreme stretching).

ETA: Warm-up a LOT before your sprints. It's easy to pull something. Look up how to properly warm-up.

Don't do anything else than what is prescribed. This is a high amount of volume. You might even need to look up recovery methods.

coachjburk
05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
3 months is enough time, are you ever going to have to change directions in these sports - answer is yes - so dont spend 3 months running in a straight line - when in reality you probably wont run more than 10 yards at most before you have to change directions

Tom Mutaffis
05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Great post KingJustin - that program looks good. My only concern would be that 3-4 weeks may not be enough time to make any real progress? Would you suggest maybe just doing 8 weeks of two different programs, or do you think that the phases and variation would be more beneficial?

I've never done a speed camp and so my knowledge is limited in this area, although I do have some friends who run them and seem to have good results with their athletes in just doing some short term technique work (form, starts, etc.) and also in showing them how to utilize tools like a prowler.