PDA

View Full Version : TNT diet

BFGUITAR
05-07-2009, 12:48 AM
I am thinking of trying this out. Now that I have a lot of time on my hands I can take care of my diet. Has this worked for many of you? I am mostly concerned about how it will affect my lifting. The first week seems a bit tedious but I can live with the fact that I only consume carbs before/after a workout after that.

cphafner
05-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I did it last summer. Doing it loosely this summer. I wasn't trying to lift too heavy either time, but it didn't effect my workouts. You get used to low carbs pretty quickly. It's just a simple carb cycle diet. Nothing earth shattering. I should note I never did that A routine with no carbs for 4 weeks. I would be a skeleton after that. I'm almost one anyway.

dumbbell
05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
As it's written it's 4 weeks on plan A, not just one. They say it takes 1-2 weeks to take affect and 2 more weeks to see results for the plan A. The first 2 weeks sucked for me, after that no problem. I lost an average of 2-1/2 lbs. a week for the five weeks that I was on plan A. I switched to plan B and then plateaued for a couple weeks. After that I've been losing at a rate of 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. a week. After another 5-10 lbs. I plan to switch to plan D.

I tried it after reading Chris' review of the book. I don't do the workout because I'm doing Rippetoe's but the dynamic warm-up is pretty good and I do use it.

I was doing the typical low-fat thing before and calorie counting was getting to be a chore. This works better with my lifestyle and tastes. I enjoy eating fat, I've realized.

Lucky_No13
05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
dumbbell,

I am currently doing Rippetoe's and am thinking about starting the TNT diet. Did you notice any effects on the SS progression while you were on the TNT diet? Sounds like you did good with fat loss on the diet, so that has me leaning toward trying it, but I'd like to continue strengthening while on it.

cphafner
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't think the TNT would be good for SS at all. SS is a lot of tough compound lifting. You wouldn't want to deprive the body a lot of food to help recover from those workouts. The TNT diet has a lot of low carb days. I don't think that would provide enough recovery. I would just eat a lot carbs. If you are really worried about getting too fat you can cut your carbs out at night.

dumbbell
05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I just finished my third week on SS. While my lifts are still going up, the increments are going to be smaller as of next week, on the squat anyways. I do think that being in a calorie deficit has something to do with it, but there are other factors going on as well. I have been consistently training for a year prior to this. I'm 37 years old. I'm not getting as good quality sleep as I could be getting right now due to the arrival of a son a week and a half ago. Because of all that I can't really give you a cut and dry answer in regards to my progress and the diet. Suffice it to say, that as long as the numbers ARE going up I don't mind if they're not as big. I'm hoping to get to my body fat goal in a month or two and then switch to GAINING (muscle weight) mode while still following this diet and SS. My success with this diet has shown me that I will probably always follow some form of carb cycling for the rest of my life (till I no longer give a rat's a$$ about waistlines and body fat). I think due to its ease of use and lack of too many restrictions that this plan is a good introduction to the carb cycling lifestyle.

Do I think Rippetoe's is a compatible program with this diet?
I think,in its pure form without added accessory work, that it's the perfect program for any cut. The lifts are all compound movements, the rep scheme is low without being too low, only three lifts in a given session, including an explosive movement, and you lift just three days a week using whole body workouts. Any program good for building strength is good for retaining muscle while on a cut. This one happens to be the best. I only wished I started it 20 years ago. :redface: