PDA

View Full Version : Power Cleans?

zbollman
05-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Hello all, today is going to be my first time doing power cleans. I'm doing Starting Strength by the way. I have looked up many videos on how to do it and there seem to be two ways that i see it done. I see the Olympic lifters throw themselves under the bar and then front squat it up, and I see other videos of the lifter exploding upward and bringing the weight to the front squat position without throwing himself under the bar. Which one should I do? Should I just try and bring it up to me until I get used to it, or should I just dive straight into getting under the bar and front squatting it up?

Thanks,

Zach

tnathletics2b
05-07-2009, 05:49 AM
My personal thought is to try it both ways and see what you like the best. Or maybe even do one way this week and the other way next week and keep switching it up. I cannot do the front squat variation as I have past wrist injuries that prevent me from laying the bar back on your fingertips like you are supposed to after the clean.

Just have it today and see what works best for you and which lift compliments your goals or workout better.

brihead301
05-07-2009, 07:03 AM
The first way you mention is a "Clean" (aka full clean or squat clean). Those are not "Power Cleans", which is the 2nd one you mentioned.

SS teaches the "power clean". Check out the book.

ZenMonkey
05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Do both/either. When the weight gets heavy enough your body/the bar will pull you into a front squat.

Auburn
05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Rippetoe doesn't teach the full clean because he thinks learning the front squat for a novice will interfere with proper back squat technique (the way he teaches it, anyway). If you plan on transitioning to the full clean later on, I think it's easiest to learn the full clean from the beginning than to try to learn a pull under after using the power version for so long. Also, the full version is certainly a superior exercise as it allows the use of heavier loads, but it might be too much if you simply want it as accessory work.

zbollman
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I didnt realize that cleans and power cleans were actually different. I'm going to do power cleans as it says to do, and I feel my deadlift would best benefit the explosiveness that the power clean would give. However wrong I may be about that, it just makes a little more sense to me as it puts all focus on the explosiveness and back.

Zach

ZenMonkey
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I didnt realize that cleans and power cleans were actually different. I'm going to do power cleans as it says to do, and I feel my deadlift would best benefit the explosiveness that the power clean would give. However wrong I may be about that, it just makes a little more sense to me as it puts all focus on the explosiveness and back.

Zach

Regarding DL & Clean carry over, check out this thread, its a good discussion
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124062

Auburn
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
However wrong I may be about that, it just makes a little more sense to me as it puts all focus on the explosiveness and back.

You get the same explosiveness from a full clean. A power clean is nothing but a light clean, and a clean is nothing but a failed power clean.

ZenMonkey
05-07-2009, 01:01 PM
You get the same explosiveness from a full clean.

:withstupi:
If not more from a full clean. Id argue that if explosiveness were determined by point value then a full clean scores higher than a power clean.

zbollman
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Well then I am wrong, who knew? Hahaha. Thanks for the advise and link to the thread

brihead301
05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't a power clean require more "explosiveness" since the bar moves a greater distance?

Auburn
05-08-2009, 07:34 AM
If explosiveness = power, then it's going to depend on loading.

Power=work/time

Work=force x change in displacement

Force = mass x acceleration

Properly loaded at max weights, a full clean will have more mass, slightly less acceleration, less change in displacement, but done over a shorter time period.

I haven't put in figures, but if each is done as explosively as possible it should pretty much even out.