PDA

View Full Version : Maxing tips?

cwoodrb105
05-10-2009, 04:13 PM
This is it, finally. Week 19 of my football workouts and lifting is over after this week and spring practice starts. Anyway, in four lifts we have the opportunity to get on "the wall." Awards are Comet, Iron Comet, and Super Iron Comet. Week 8, we had a max week and my four lifts totaled 910. This time though, I'm actually striving for Super Iron Comet, which is a total of 1075 or more.

Here's what I can get...

Bench - 235
Squat - 405
Power Clean - 210
Push Press - 185

Total = 1035.

So, obviously I need to somehow add an extra 40 pounds on these lifts. Are there any tips out there to really add some more weight to these lifts? I'd appreciate some useful tips!

barbell01
05-10-2009, 04:44 PM
how long do you have?

joey54
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
This is it, finally. Week 19 of my football workouts and lifting is over after this week and spring practice starts. Anyway, in four lifts we have the opportunity to get on "the wall." Awards are Comet, Iron Comet, and Super Iron Comet. Week 8, we had a max week and my four lifts totaled 910. This time though, I'm actually striving for Super Iron Comet, which is a total of 1075 or more.

Here's what I can get...

Bench - 235
Squat - 405
Power Clean - 210
Push Press - 185

Total = 1035.

So, obviously I need to somehow add an extra 40 pounds on these lifts. Are there any tips out there to really add some more weight to these lifts? I'd appreciate some useful tips!

Add 10 lbs to each lift. That is 40 lbs right there.

Jesse Hernandez
05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Use an arch on your bench and theres 10-20lbs, and throw some briefs on for squat and thats 20-40lbs right there.

slashkills
05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Use an arch on your bench and theres 10-20lbs, and throw some briefs on for squat and thats 20-40lbs right there.

He would be very lucky if the school lets him. My school wont let you in the weight room with any gear on. Unless he wears them under something.

Jesse Hernandez
05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
He would be very lucky if the school lets him. My school wont let you in the weight room with any gear on. Unless he wears them under something.

LoL I know, he'd have to hide the briefs.:burger:

Tom Mutaffis
05-11-2009, 06:53 AM
This article might be helpful in setting yourself up to hit PR's:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/powerlifting-and-functional-strength-for-athletics/so-you-want-to-hit-a-pr/

Guido
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd recommend NOT lifting at all the week before you are tested. Many people who train for football don't understand the concept of muscle recovery, so they've never lifted in a fully recovered state. I guarantee that if you give yourself a week off before you test, make sure you get a few nights of sleep beforehand, and eat well the few days before the testing, you will blast through your PR's no problem.

Brian Hopper
05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd recommend NOT lifting at all the week before you are tested. Many people who train for football don't understand the concept of muscle recovery, so they've never lifted in a fully recovered state. I guarantee that if you give yourself a week off before you test, make sure you get a few nights of sleep beforehand, and eat well the few days before the testing, you will blast through your PR's no problem.

I agree!!! You want your body to be well rested and ready to hit PR's.

zefox
05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
LoL I know, he'd have to hide the briefs.:burger:

Why not use some old inzer briefs. The look like undies... You could get 20lbs out of them easily.

Jesse Hernandez
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Why not use some old inzer briefs. The look like undies... You could get 20lbs out of them easily.

lol... who do you know thats selling old inzer underwear briefs.... and secondly, would you wear them?

cwoodrb105
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I ended up getting it with a 460 squat. Don't have any clue how I pulled it off or how it skyrocketed that much.

Jesse Hernandez
05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
wow, very nice. Its crazy how under competition circumstances your body will allow you to do things you didnt think you can do..... Good work. Now buy some old inzer briefs and squat 500.

Fuzzy
05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
wow, very nice. Its crazy how under competition circumstances your body will allow you to do things you didnt think you can do..... Good work. Now buy some old inzer briefs and squat 500.

Agreed, competition environments bring out some scary fuzzy raging gorilla, it's unreal.

Also, not exactly related, but make sure you have a small ritual of sorts before you lift. For me, I have to tap the right side of the weight with my head etc. These little things get you in the zone a minute or so before you actually touch the bar and that increased focus can make a big difference. Too many kids just walk under the bar with alot of anger and energy and don't take the time to concentrate it.

Jesse Hernandez
05-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Agreed, competition environments bring out some scary fuzzy raging gorilla, it's unreal.

Also, not exactly related, but make sure you have a small ritual of sorts before you lift. For me, I have to tap the right side of the weight with my head etc. These little things get you in the zone a minute or so before you actually touch the bar and that increased focus can make a big difference. Too many kids just walk under the bar with alot of anger and energy and don't take the time to concentrate it.

Agreed aswell. I get really hyped up, but I always have my rituals!

cwoodrb105
05-13-2009, 04:31 PM

I actually have some rituals I recently gained. I came to realize, before I actually get into the rack, if I really stare at the weight and breathe in through my nose out through my mouth and think deep into what I'm doing, I do better. I'm actually the complete opposite of what most people would see as fired up. I get very deep in thought, quiet, don't talk while people are screaming to fire me up. It really seems to work for me, which is the opposite of 95% of the people I've ever seen max out.

Bodyguard
05-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry im a little late,but on the day of the lift, warm up with some reverse bench (be sure you have a good spot) this will stimulate your triceps and allow you to lift more, on bench of course.