PDA

View Full Version : 325x12 SLDL

Chalky Palms
05-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Back home from school, first set of my squat assistance today. Tips appreciated.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdOCv-uIckE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdOCv-uIckE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

joey54
05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't use that grip on a higher rep set.

GHOGH
05-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Maybe use a block to stand on. Get a little more stretch in your hams.

Another thing to try is stand on a bench and use dumbbells. Gets a really nice stretch.

-JM-
05-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Tips appreciated.

Get more plates dawg. **** was easy for you. ;)

Chalky Palms
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't use that grip on a higher rep set.

Are you saying you'd go double over? My grip is pretty strong but on longer sets I'd rather keep it secure.

Flynn- I've been hunting on craigs list all week, emails have been sent haha

joey54
05-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I would go double over. I use straps on exercises like this, but I can understand the mentality of those who don't. An option in that case would be the hook grip, which will be secure enough.

Chalky Palms
05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
hook grip for 12 reps...no thanks.

-JM-
05-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I would go double over. I use straps on exercises like this, but I can understand the mentality of those who don't. An option in that case would be the hook grip, which will be secure enough.

I dont think the grip matters so much when each rep is completely reset like that.

ZenMonkey
05-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Holy crap, hook grip for 12 reps of 325! That would suck. Great pulling man, super strong.

Chalky Palms
05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Zen.

Joey- What were your concerns with using an alternate grip on high rep sets? Just curious.

chris mason
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
First, very strong! You are built to pull! You should be able to be a very good deadlifter if you work at it.

Bend your knees a bit during the exercise. It places your back is a safer position. Don't use quad drive, but get some bend in those knees.

Chalky Palms
05-10-2009, 08:59 PM
First, very strong! You are built to pull! You should be able to be a very good deadlifter if you work at it.

Bend your knees a bit during the exercise. It places your back is a safer position. Don't use quad drive, but get some bend in those knees.

Thanks big guy. I have a ever so slight bend in my knees but you are right I could probably get away with a bit more. I haven't been pulling for too long but I'm probably good for 520 or so, conventional not SLDL. Thanks for the tips!

joey54
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks Zen.

Joey- What were your concerns with using an alternate grip on high rep sets? Just curious.

Seeing all those bicep tear videos with that grip. Maybe resetting the weight makes it better as another poster suggests, but I would go double over.

Chris Rodgers
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Good work Chalky!

Joey- you are nuts bro. Try the hook grip for reps with any weight and you will quickly change your mind there, lol. I I'd say double-overhand with straps is fine for stuff like this, but I have never had a problem using a mixed grip during 10-20 rep sets of pulls...both reset on the floor and tap and go.

joey54
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I've used it for reps, but I do like just using straps better. It is not the most comfortable thing in the world, that is for sure.

Chris Rodgers
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I've used it for reps, but I do like just using straps better. It is not the most comfortable thing in the world, that is for sure.

Yea, I think anything over like 2 reps with the hook and I tap out, lol.

Chalky Palms
05-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Chris, good to know I'm not just being a baby about it :)

Guido
05-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Seeing all those bicep tear videos with that grip. Maybe resetting the weight makes it better as another poster suggests, but I would go double over.You've been watching too many video's then, man. 99% of people use the mixed grip with no problem. I've been lifting for 13 years and have been to over a dozen PL meets and have only seen one tear in all that time, and it was a guy who had recently had surgery on his arm for an unrelated issue. As long as you don't try curling the weight up while pulling it's fine.

joey54
05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Could be. For a true 1 rep max I would always use that grip as well and don't see any problem with it. For multiple rep sets I will always strap up, but that is just me.

rctriplefresh5
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
that was insanely easy. looked like you could have done 405 for 5 or 6 reps. i threw on 135 and tried to some of these they feel pretty nice, but because i used to deadlift with horrific form, i am still practicing deadlifting with good form so using a stiffleg will be counterproductive

Chalky Palms
05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
that was insanely easy. looked like you could have done 405 for 5 or 6 reps. i threw on 135 and tried to some of these they feel pretty nice, but because i used to deadlift with horrific form, i am still practicing deadlifting with good form so using a stiffleg will be counterproductive

Thanks, I've done 475 stiff legged fairly easily so I'm sure I can handle 5 or 6 with 405. Just need to buy more weights.

Cricket_Fire
05-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Am I the only one who laughed at the very start when it said "Chalky Palms"?

Nice work dude

Chalky Palms
05-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Am I the only one who laughed at the very start when it said "Chalky Palms"?

Nice work dude

Lol thanks man, it was supposed to be funny