PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the carpet press:

sobrinoc
05-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok guys, here's my question:

1) What is the purpose of the carpet bench?

2) How do you make one? Just buy whatever carpet and roll it up? Is there a specific type of carpet one should use?

Thanks!
Christian Sobrino,
Novice Powerlifter from Puerto Rico

P.S. Paul Anderson use to floor press 1000 pounds naked lying on an egyptian carpet.

Trainwreck
05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Carpet pressing is just like board pressing except with a rolled up carpet instead of boards. Lots of people do this with foam rollers. The purpose of a board press is to train specific ranges of the pressing motion in order to increase your overall power...this means a bigger bench.

slashkills
05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
P.S. Paul Anderson use to floor press 1000 pounds naked lying on an egyptian carpet.
...?

Lones Green
05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
It takes some of the stress off the shoulders and pecs.

jbrin0tk
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
...?

I'm assuming it was supposed to be a joke.

SELK
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
also it can teach you to speed up the eccentric because you know you are going to get a little weight taken off at the bottom (as its transfered to the carpet). The speeding up of the eccentric really helped me.

A carpet works, I used a bunch of towels duck taped together and it worked well.

Travis Bell
05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Ok guys, here's my question:

1) What is the purpose of the carpet bench?

2) How do you make one? Just buy whatever carpet and roll it up? Is there a specific type of carpet one should use?

Thanks!
Christian Sobrino,
Novice Powerlifter from Puerto Rico

1) it takes stress off the pecs and shoulders and will allow you to work on more the top half range of motion of your bench. It's different than boards because it compresses on your chest

2)Yep, just roll up some carpet. No specific type.

Most likely one of the weirdest first posts we've had here in the PL section.

Whatever floats your boat though I guess

sobrinoc
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys!

Sorry for the Paul Anderson joke, lately on powerliftingwatch.com or youtube.com someone always would all of the sudden say how Paul Anderson squatted 1200# RAW so I got the habit of posting random Chuck Norris facts about Paul Anderson in every post. Going to have to stop doing that :P

mattdunkin
05-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks guys!

Sorry for the Paul Anderson joke, lately on powerliftingwatch.com or youtube.com someone always would all of the sudden say how Paul Anderson squatted 1200# RAW so I got the habit of posting random Chuck Norris facts about Paul Anderson in every post. Going to have to stop doing that :P

Hell yeah,that crap has been driving me crazy-if I hear someone comment on some other lifter's lift saying "Paul Anderson squatted..." I will pay to find where they are and strangle them!Funny as hell,man-I think I saw a few of your posts on plingwatch but as of late,they probably got deleted unless the comment was pro you know who or a certain fed n%t swinging!

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Steal your wife's floor matts from her car and get a roll of duck tape. Or just do what big benchers do and use boards.

Bigswole
05-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I,m with you on that one Rob. I train with Jesse K. and if i came in the gym with some rolled up carpet he'd probably laugh me out of the gym.

AJ_H
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
when speed benching, I believe that some benchers also put carpet under their shirt to stop it smashing up their ribs.

Guido
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd assume this carpet pressing isn't much different than doing presses off foam blocks. Just a different medium, right?

Bigswole
05-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Correct.