PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Saftery Squat Bar and possible substitue:

sobrinoc
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with Dave Draper's Top Squat? Would it work as a substitue for a safety squat bar or is there really no comparison?

Also this is for Travis Bell or anyone from Westside. Louie mentions the "Dave Draper squat device" in one of his articles, have you seen it used over there lately or at all?

Thanks to everyone,
Christian Sobrino from Puerto Rico

Sensei
05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Maybe you should post this to Dave Draper's forum, but if you haven't, here's my take:

*Not the same at all. The Top Squat is basically a high bar squat that allows your arms to be in front of you in a little more comfortable position. It still feels like a back squat (albeit a high bar position).

Safety squat bar, to me, always felt a lot more like a front squat than a back squat unless holding onto the squat rack when doing it.

Which is better? I have no idea. What do I prefer? I prefer straight bar squatting personally, but if I was switching it up I'd do either one.

zefox
05-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Ive used both and the SSB is more functional in my opinion. The top squat can't do what the ssb does.

Pete22
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Ive used both and the SSB is more functional in my opinion. The top squat can't do what the ssb does.

Right, and I've read that the device can slide around on the bar with heavier weight. Plus you can't do goodmornings with it, I'd go with the SSB.

BigTallOx
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Safety squat bar, to me, always felt a lot more like a front squat than a back squat unless holding onto the squat rack when doing it.

This is how the SSB feels to me as well, like doing a front squat.

I haven't used a top squat, but I don't see how it could subsititue for a SSB. That doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place in training though. Personally, I'd love to try a top squat, if for nothing else, just varying things.