PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from All in Memphis,TN Area

Big_Byrd52
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey guys, i need some help from those of you in the Memphis, TN area. i will be moving to Memphis in mid July and i need some help finding a job for my new bride and info on apartments and elementary schools.

My wife is an accounting clerk for a local bank with 7 years experience. We will take anything we can find, but want to try to stay in the finance and accounting fields. Any bank, CPA firm, attorney office... whatever. If know of anyone hiring or places to look into please let me know.

i would also like to know who is around for me to catch a good workout with when i can.

whotime
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
hey byrd i lift with 2 guys who are in the SPF and would probably like for you to workout with them, i will talk to them this week

evilxxx
05-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Have you tried Craiglist? sometimes its full of spam but you might find something good in it. Memphis being a good size city there might be some good listings for the area. Hopefully someone from the area will guide you to a good local classifieds site.

collin44
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
In terms of apartments, I would get as far outside of the City as you reasonably can. I travel to Memphis every month for work and crime is ridiculously high. We even have company policies on what can be carried in a car because we have had so many laptops, cell phone, brief cases, etc. stolen. I always stay in a suburb of Memphis just across the border in Mississippi. It is called Olive Branch and is pretty nice. It is just off of Highway 78, 15 minutes south of the airport.

Big_Byrd52
05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
In terms of apartments, I would get as far outside of the City as you reasonably can. I travel to Memphis every month for work and crime is ridiculously high. We even have company policies on what can be carried in a car because we have had so many laptops, cell phone, brief cases, etc. stolen. I always stay in a suburb of Memphis just across the border in Mississippi. It is called Olive Branch and is pretty nice. It is just off of Highway 78, 15 minutes south of the airport.

I was looking into Southaven, MS as well as Germantown, East Memphis and Bartlett. I think olive branch is a little south of of Southaven, and u say its only 15 or so minutes from downtown? Are you familiar with Southaven?

Big_Byrd52
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
hey byrd i lift with 2 guys who are in the SPF and would probably like for you to workout with them, i will talk to them this week

Theres a guy named Jeff that lifts in SPF from Memphis but i lost his number. I would appreciate the help from ur friends.

I have looked on Criagslist for housing but i have never been to memphis so i dont know where the places are or what the area is like. I am making a trip out soon, but i want to narrow the search before i get there so i dont wander into the wrong neighborhoods

SoreFoot8343
05-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Sam. Call Jesse. He's got Jeff's #. I don't think he's posted on here in a long while. I know he's close (north side of 40 above memphis) to where your looking sort of. I'm sure he's got connections for jobs/places to live :) Olive branch,MS is quiet I've been down that way with the truck they roll up the sidewalks early over there lol. I think if you say away from rt 78 in memphis and rt 240 you should be ok? I hope that helps you out a lil.

JK1
05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Ambre T. (Another SPF lifter) is from Memphis. Considering her business, she might have some inroads to good places to live/that sort of thing. I don't think she does much with this board (just the SPF board). She's competing at Nationals next week Sam, you can ask her there.

Travis Bell
05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Brent Tracy can hook you up Sam

Lones Green
05-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Brent Tracy can hook you up Sam

Cell Block would be a bit of a drive!

zefox
05-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, i need some help from those of you in the Memphis, TN area. i will be moving to Memphis in mid July and i need some help finding a job for my new bride and info on apartments and elementary schools.

My wife is an accounting clerk for a local bank with 7 years experience. We will take anything we can find, but want to try to stay in the finance and accounting fields. Any bank, CPA firm, attorney office... whatever. If know of anyone hiring or places to look into please let me know.

i would also like to know who is around for me to catch a good workout with when i can.

Sam,

I have been in Memphis for 2 years now and it isn't such a bad place (Not as bad as people let on.) I live in Bartlett and love being where I am. I currently work for the University of Tennessee and have a few connections that I am in the process of contacting to see if I can find some open positions

As far as schools are concerned, the Shelby County school system is amazing; better than Desoto County in MS. I do lots of outreach and grant work, and even the Memphis City Schools are good (White Station graduates numerous students that end up at Ivy League Schools every year.)

As far as apartments are concerned, there are some nice two bedroom units down the road from me. I can get you a list of places that are desirable and won't make you feel like you need to worry about being shanked.

I am currently working out with no partner (he totaled 2100 at 275 and left to do his pharmacy rotation in Knoxville.) It would be a privilege to catch a workout with you.

Hit me up on here or email me. I can give you my phone number and we can get you setup down here.

Let me know when you are coming down to look around and we can save you some hotel $$.

Big_Byrd52
05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Sam,

I have been in Memphis for 2 years now and it isn't such a bad place (Not as bad as people let on.) I live in Bartlett and love being where I am. I currently work for the University of Tennessee and have a few connections that I am in the process of contacting to see if I can find some open positions

As far as schools are concerned, the Shelby County school system is amazing; better than Desoto County in MS. I do lots of outreach and grant work, and even the Memphis City Schools are good (White Station graduates numerous students that end up at Ivy League Schools every year.)

As far as apartments are concerned, there are some nice two bedroom units down the road from me. I can get you a list of places that are desirable and won't make you feel like you need to worry about being shanked.

I am currently working out with no partner (he totaled 2100 at 275 and left to do his pharmacy rotation in Knoxville.) It would be a privilege to catch a workout with you.

Hit me up on here or email me. I can give you my phone number and we can get you setup down here.

Let me know when you are coming down to look around and we can save you some hotel $$.

Thats awesome man, thanks. ill send u a pm

zefox
05-12-2009, 09:38 AM

I can't send a pm back because I don't have enough posts. Pm me your email address so I don't lose this long response.

Travis Bell
05-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Cell Block would be a bit of a drive!

Well I wasn't quite referring for training, but the guy has some excellent connections for job type stuff.

I should have been a little more clear haha.

zefox
05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Well I wasn't quite referring for training, but the guy has some excellent connections for job type stuff.

True. My brother trains with Brent occasionally and he is a really great guy. Wouldn't hurt to ask Brent who he knows down here in Mem-town.

zefox
05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Getting the post count up to message you back.

zefox
05-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Sent you one back. Let me know if you got it.

Big_Byrd52
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM

thanks trav, i been meaning to call him anyways. are u guys coming down to nationals next week?

whotime
05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
hey bro the guy i was talking about was jeff and terry they are both going to be at nationals this weekend but i dont think jeff is lifting. anyway good luck.

3whitelights
05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Sam,

Dunno what you have and have not figured out already, but as far as training I've been around the block in Memphis and haven't found a better facility than Crossfit Memphis.

Before anyone jumps on me and tells me how ghey CF is, we have (almost) everything you'd ever want in equipment. Safety squat bars, bands, chains, kettlebells, bumper plates, buffalo bars, loud music, etc. It's a warehouse gym and the only thing it is missing is a cable stack but the powerlifters here make up for it with bands and other things.

Membership is a bit steep even for those not doing crossfit. For me though, I'm not willing to economize on training environment.

We have 4 regular powerlifters including Chris Moore (1000lb squatter, visits westside ever couple months) and I compete in strongman.

Your other big option is the French Riviera pool and spa. It'll run you something ridiculously cheap like 150 a year, and they are all over the place. My events training partners, HW pro-strongman Nick Brugal and William Macalister train at one (Bartlett) and don't have any problems. The environment at these things will vary from gym to gym, but like I said, they are all over the place, and most of them won't have a problem with you putting up big weights, etc. Avoid the one in Germantown though... You're best bet is to convince them to give you free passes (I still have like 20) and visit a few and find one you like.

As far as living, where I'd recommend will depend on where you work. Memphis can be tough to get through, so depending on what part of the city you'd be working in, I'd look at Olive Branch, South Haven, Collierville, Bartlett, and Cordova. Germantown is rich blood, but you might find something good.

If you need any help with anything or have any questions that I dont see here (dont check the forums much anymore) then feel free to drop me an email at steve.trippe@gmail.com.

Ambre
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey Sam! It's Ambre from SPF nationals. Just wanted to touch base with you. I'm a personal assistant and work all over the Memphis and surrounding areas. I've lived in Memphis for over 10 years and know all the ins-and-outs of this town. I also had a child in the Memphis City and County school districts, so I can hopefully help you and your wife with the schools too. The city isn't as bad as people say. There are definitely areas that aren't great, but every city has that. I've actually never experienced crime personally in the Memphis city limits, but I have in both Collierville and Germantown (and those are the nice areas). I also know of several houses for rent all over town, so seriously, let me know if you guys need any help at all.

Big_Byrd52
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Thank u so much! things have been so hectic lately i forgot i made this post. We will be coming out there the week of June 21-28 for the first time. i still have ur info and ill get in touch with u this weekend.

Ambre
06-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok sounds great. Talk to you soon!

Big_Byrd52
06-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Sam,

Dunno what you have and have not figured out already, but as far as training I've been around the block in Memphis and haven't found a better facility than Crossfit Memphis.

Before anyone jumps on me and tells me how ghey CF is, we have (almost) everything you'd ever want in equipment. Safety squat bars, bands, chains, kettlebells, bumper plates, buffalo bars, loud music, etc. It's a warehouse gym and the only thing it is missing is a cable stack but the powerlifters here make up for it with bands and other things.

Membership is a bit steep even for those not doing crossfit. For me though, I'm not willing to economize on training environment.

We have 4 regular powerlifters including Chris Moore (1000lb squatter, visits westside ever couple months) and I compete in strongman.

Your other big option is the French Riviera pool and spa. It'll run you something ridiculously cheap like 150 a year, and they are all over the place. My events training partners, HW pro-strongman Nick Brugal and William Macalister train at one (Bartlett) and don't have any problems. The environment at these things will vary from gym to gym, but like I said, they are all over the place, and most of them won't have a problem with you putting up big weights, etc. Avoid the one in Germantown though... You're best bet is to convince them to give you free passes (I still have like 20) and visit a few and find one you like.

As far as living, where I'd recommend will depend on where you work. Memphis can be tough to get through, so depending on what part of the city you'd be working in, I'd look at Olive Branch, South Haven, Collierville, Bartlett, and Cordova. Germantown is rich blood, but you might find something good.

If you need any help with anything or have any questions that I dont see here (dont check the forums much anymore) then feel free to drop me an email at steve.trippe@gmail.com.

where is the FR in bartlett? i am extremely disappointed in the gyms here. The University kicks ass, but public gyms are few and far between

Ambre
06-28-2009, 12:54 PM
There are several French Rivieras in the Memphis area. There is one on Germantown Pkwy in Cordova, but I haven't been to that one. I usually, if I have to work out there for whatever reason, go to the 24 hour French on Poplar and Highland by the U of M. The French is really cheap, but it's very un-powerlifter friendly.

Big_Byrd52
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I visted the one in Cordva today that the Nick Brugal trains at; met his training partner Brian. Went and trained at the FR on Poplar, its not as froo-froo as the name implies. I did deadlifts and didnt have any problems today. The U of M gym is big and loaded with everything, but dont know what ill be able to get away with. It would be cool to get in some real strongman training once im up here. They tell me Nick has all the toys in his garage.

Ben Moore
06-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Nicks a great guy. You'll have a great training partner in him if you go that route