PDA

View Full Version : First Week Bulking ... Concerned?

mcdonough9395
05-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey guys. So this past week was my first week on my bulk and SS. And the first time ive ever tryed to "bulk". My goal weight is 215 lbs by September which is a 32 lb increase in 4 months so i figure i should be gaining about 8 lbs per month and about 2 lbs per week. Now my concern is that i went from 183 lbs to 188 lbs gaining 5 lbs in my first week ... Is this normal to gain fast initially? Is bulking similar to cutting in that at first the initial gains will come fast like when you start a cut and lose 5 or so lbs right off the bat real quick? Should i not be worried as the gains will slow? Or should i be concerned and start cutting back on calories?

Runty
05-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Could be a number of things. If it was right after you just drank a shake or something a little could be more water weight about to get pissed out. Make sure to weigh yourself at the same time of day with basically the same circumstances, as in right when you wake up, or go to sleep, etc. If it truly is 5lbs in the first week, then I would reduce the calories until your getting about 1.5-2lbs a week.

Progress
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes. It is common to have big gains in weight at the beginning of a bulk. First of all, you really can't attribute any of those gains to muscle/fat/water or what have you, specifically, until you calculate it. Since your only (accurate) measurement is the scale and the mirror, you can only comment on general mass gain.

As long as your diet is in check and things are looking alright in the gym, you should be fine just chugging along for a 1/3 of a year.

That said, how is your diet? Have you calculated your maintenance calories and are bulking at around 20-25% over maintenance? Have you read up in the diet section about bulking/cutting advice?

mcdonough9395
05-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Could be a number of things. If it was right after you just drank a shake or something a little could be more water weight about to get pissed out. Make sure to weigh yourself at the same time of day with basically the same circumstances, as in right when you wake up, or go to sleep, etc. If it truly is 5lbs in the first week, then I would reduce the calories until your getting about 1.5-2lbs a week.

Yeah i weigh myself everyday at the same time in the same cloths at the gym right before my workout.

As long as your diet is in check and things are looking alright in the gym, you should be fine just chugging along for a 1/3 of a year.

That said, how is your diet? Have you calculated your maintenance calories and are bulking at around 20-25% over maintenance? Have you read up in the diet section about bulking/cutting advice?

Yes i have read up in the diet and nutrition section but have never heard the guideline of bulking at 20-25% over maintenance as i am certainly over that being that my maintenance is around 2800-2900 cals and right now im taking in about 4,400-4,500. I went off the guideline Chris Mason mention in his article in the stickies of 25 cals for every lb body weight. My diet is pretty solid as far as i know. Looks something like this...

Meal 1: 4 Whole Eggs / Whole Wheat Bagel / 2 Tbsp PB / 16 oz Milk
Meal 2: Nitrean with Milk / 2 Whole Grain Rice Cakes / 2 Tbsp PB
Meal 3: Turkey Sandwich on Whole Wheat Protein Bread / 16 oz Milk
Meal 4 (Pre-WO): Nitrean with Milk / 1/2 Cup Oats / Banana
Meal 5 (Post-WO): Nitrean with Milk / Dextrose / Creatine Mono
Meal 6: 1 lb Chicken / 1 Cup (Dry) Whole Grain Pasta / Salad / 16 oz Milk
Meal 7: Cottage Cheese / 16 oz Milk

Breakdown: 4,471 Calories / 380g Protein (36%) / 437g Carbs (37%) / 133g Fat (27%)

Joe Black
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't weigh yourself everyday, it's probably a bit obsessive and it's normal for your weight to fluctuate for a number of reasons. I can weigh 4bs more one day and then drop it again the next day.

I would pick one day per week where generally the situation will be consistent. Say every Monday morning of something. And just record it weekly. Doing it every day is only going to get you wondering why things are going up and down and it's the week to week progress you should be looking for.

5lbs in a week is not unusual at all though. Good job :)

rbtrout
05-12-2009, 09:28 AM
^^^Exactly. I weight myself once a week, same day right after my workout. The weight can come very quickly the first couple of weeks, just hang in there and be consistant. Great job so far, keep up the good work.

Progress
05-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah i weigh myself everyday at the same time in the same cloths at the gym right before my workout.

Yes i have read up in the diet and nutrition section but have never heard the guideline of bulking at 20-25% over maintenance as i am certainly over that being that my maintenance is around 2800-2900 cals and right now im taking in about 4,400-4,500. I went off the guideline Chris Mason mention in his article in the stickies of 25 cals for every lb body weight. My diet is pretty solid as far as i know. Looks something like this...

Meal 1: 4 Whole Eggs / Whole Wheat Bagel / 2 Tbsp PB / 16 oz Milk
Meal 2: Nitrean with Milk / 2 Whole Grain Rice Cakes / 2 Tbsp PB
Meal 3: Turkey Sandwich on Whole Wheat Protein Bread / 16 oz Milk
Meal 4 (Pre-WO): Nitrean with Milk / 1/2 Cup Oats / Banana
Meal 5 (Post-WO): Nitrean with Milk / Dextrose / Creatine Mono
Meal 6: 1 lb Chicken / 1 Cup (Dry) Whole Grain Pasta / Salad / 16 oz Milk
Meal 7: Cottage Cheese / 16 oz Milk

Breakdown: 4,471 Calories / 380g Protein (36%) / 437g Carbs (37%) / 133g Fat (27%)

At 57% over maintenance you're almost guaranteed to gain fat. That is not a slow bulk but you're surely going to reach your weight gain goal.

BigTallOx
05-12-2009, 09:49 AM

If you weigh yourself that often, you'll see big variations. Personally though I wouldn't say don't do it if that's what you want to do ( sometimes I get obsessed too, lol ), just know that there will be variations.

mcdonough9395
05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the replies guys ... and yeah i dont weigh myself everyday just the 3 days a week i go to the gym to lift. And i know throughout a week the weight will vary thats why i waited a full week to really consider and gauge my progress.

Progress ... I know im going to gain fat ive accepted that and am ready for it. I dont intend to "slow" bulk however i just dont want to overdo it and end up being 225 by September with just 10 extra lbs of fat.

I think ill hang in there and stick with it for another week and see where i am next Monday and if the gains havent slowed ill start cutting back on the cals.

Oh, and sorry if i put this in the wrong section i wasnt sure i was kind of split between weather it belonged in weight lifting or diet and nutrition.

jay24k
05-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Curious why you are bulking 2 lb per week. Unless you genetically gifted, you aren't going to even gain half that in muscle. You are just going to put on 75 percent of your weight back on in fat. You would be better to bulk at a 1lb per week since it is still difficult to add a 1/2 pound of muscle per week. That way at the end of 4 months or however long you go, you don't have that much to cut back down(if that is your plan).

diazed129
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Then good luck to you. I haven,t other thing to say.