PDA

View Full Version : RAW bench/ board work?

robchris
05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey Rob or Travis, (or other exp. bench guys)

Do you guys generally do your board work raw or shirted?

I've heard after shirt work its best to do the boards raw w/ a close-grip or at least pinky on the rings grip.

I've only competed RAW so I'm a little behind the curve on the geared training.

Thanks for your help,:confused:
Rob

bencher8
05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
well IMO, I do 4 and 5 brds raw and 3, 2, and 1 brd shirted. Of course I am an equipped lifter, so my choices are for that style of lifting. I do all my brd work before shirt, but that can be changed. Soome like to do it before their shirt work, some after their shirt work and some do thier brd work on a totally different day.....many different way to set up your training program...comes down to what you feel makes you stronger..

Travis Bell
05-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Rob and I actually train a bit differently when concerning geared lifting, but I feel that both work very well so it boils down to a bit of personal preference.

I use boards simply as a tool, meaning that I'll do them raw, I'll also do them shirted (very infrequently though)

One of the things that I really feel shot my bench up in the last year is touching at least one set each shirted workout. Only exception was my last shirted workout where I stuck to 2brds, but that was simply because I had just done a meet 2 days earlier so I wanted to give my pecs a break.

I'm also only in my shirt about once a month. Occasionally twice, but normally just once a month. I really don't feel as if I forget how to bench in a shirt and staying in it week in and week out just beats me up badly. When I take breaks, I come back feeling fresh and very strong.

After my shirted work I just go by how I feel I need to work on my weaknesses. Some cycles I tend to miss around a 1 or 2brd so I'll do those raw up to a single, other cycles I've missed more at the top, so I do lots of tricep extensor work from different angles. It just depends on more on what your particular weaknesses are as a lifter.

From my perspective, shirted training isn't nearly as complicated as people make it out to be. People just don't think enough while they are benching. They think tons before they bench (often too much) and they sure analyze the junk out of stuff after benching (again...too much) but for whatever reason, when that bar leaves the rack people just forget to simply think about what they need to do.

robchris
05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the input man! I hear what you're saying reference to where I miss on the bench. I tend to miss mid-range so I generally use a 2-3Brd.

I currently breaking in a new shirt(Titan F6) and havent been able to touch yet.

Do you think I should increase the weight or continue to work it down the bds. each week? I'm at a 3-bd. right now.( My next meet is in August...)

Thx.
Rob:nod:

Rob Luyando
05-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Travis is right he does train different. Way to much crazy stuff for me. LOL!

As for brd work when I train my high brds 4&5 i due it raw with a close grip to work the long head of the tricep harder. My close grip is one handwidth in from my compition bench. Hold the bar at lock out for a 3 count inbetween each rep do sets of 3 to 5 reps.

As for shirt work boards are great for handling more weight but you have to have technique mastered with full range motion as well. And hell yes increase weight as much and as often as you can. The more you handle heavier weight the easier it will be and the stronger you will become.

barbell01
05-13-2009, 09:51 AM
if you miss mid-range then you need to do floor presses.

robchris
05-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys! I'm benching tomorrow so I'll do 2-brd. shirted & 4-brd. raw.

Rob/ bencher8, whats the best way to break-in a new shirt??? (other than more weight)

*** Sorry, I know this theard has evoled into a shirt debate.

Cheers

bencher8
05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
add weight and work down the brds...you can do other stuff like wet the shirt and all, but the best way is to add weight and work down the brds..leave the collar up in the early going, you just want to stretch the shirt, no need ot crank the shirt yet.

robchris
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks Travis, rob, bencher8,

I took your advice tonight and did 2-bd. shirted & 4-brd. raw...

Went 275x6 w/ shirt off 2-brd. then 245x5x5x5 w/ 4-brd. raw; all with a pause. I'm currently doing the 5-3-1 routine so that was my number to hit this week.

bencher8
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
cool, nice job! be careful listening to rob, he gets a little scary sometimes lol

Rob Luyando
05-15-2009, 08:10 AM
cool, nice job! be careful listening to rob, he gets a little scary sometimes lol

IF telling it like it is with no bull attached is scary then I don't know what to tell you. I don't hold back.