PDA

View Full Version : Bench question....

SoreFoot8343
05-13-2009, 12:28 AM
What is the difference if your head is on the bench vs. picking it up off the bench at time of the hand off? How and where does this make a difference? I'm just courious...
Thanks

MarcusWild
05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't think it changes things at handoff. Now on the way down lifting your head can make it easier to touch in a shirt. The trick is to still stay up on your traps so your arch doesn't flatten out.

Rob Luyando
05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
There is really no advantage to lifting your head up during the decent. I have a habit of doing it more so i can see my bar placement which can be critical with equiped lifting. The legendary Bill Crawford recomends keeping your head down the entire lift. Either way as soon as you press make sure your head is back down.

DrDudley-Robey
05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
I disagree Rob - in a closed back ( like a kitatna) when you lift your head on the way dow it slightly loosens the chest plate and can make it a little easier to touch the putting the head back down on the press will tighten the chest plate just a hair for more pop off the bottom. In an open back with deep scoop neck line like a Boss, metal ace or SD Phenom it is not a great diffrence.

SoreFoot8343
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
ok thanks guys :) I thought there was something more than just being able make it easier to touch..

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I disagree Rob - in a closed back ( like a kitatna) when you lift your head on the way dow it slightly loosens the chest plate and can make it a little easier to touch the putting the head back down on the press will tighten the chest plate just a hair for more pop off the bottom. In an open back with deep scoop neck line like a Boss, metal ace or SD Phenom it is not a great diffrence.

Whats your bench? If you keep your arch tight and form solid your shirt shouldn't loosen up at all.

Travis Bell
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I agree. If you're shirt is loosening when you raise your head, you're probably also rolling your shoulders forward or something weird. I raise my head too and my shirt doesn't loosen at all.

Xellarz
05-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Aaaactually...I thought raising your head up did impact bench performance. Here's a very short little blurb about it that was posted on here a little while ago:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118372&highlight=tonic+neck+reflex

Also, here's a similar thread. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119228&highlight=tonic+neck+reflex&page=2

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
That is one person's opinion. I don't agree or disagree with it. I stated the reason I lift my head is for bar placement only. But before I press my head is slammed back down. It doesn't change the performance or the tightness of the shirt if you do it with proper form.

chris mason
05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, I will take the word of the competition 940 and 750 benchers who commented in this thread :).

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Well, I will take the word of the competition 940 and 750 benchers who commented in this thread :).

Thanks Chris! I might as well do a post giving a little bit of my background to some of the newer guys that don't know this old dog. Yeah I think i will. First thing in the morning.

vdizenzo
05-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I have just started to lift my head while lowering the weight. I feel a huge difference already. I can touch lower and easier. It feels like when I slam my head back I am able to press harder.

bencher8
05-14-2009, 06:55 PM
oh jeeez, now we are gonna have to listen to Rob talking about himself? This will be a 3 page thread before he gets done with that process...just a bunch of Rob Luyando posts..lol

another thing...how sad is it that people might not know who he is? Hes only been taking a break for what 6 months and everyone has forgotten?

Rob Luyando
05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
oh jeeez, now we are gonna have to listen to Rob talking about himself? This will be a 3 page thread before he gets done with that process...just a bunch of Rob Luyando posts..lol

another thing...how sad is it that people might not know who he is? Hes only been taking a break for what 6 months and everyone has forgotten?

I will try to keep it to a two page minimum. And here I was going to give you some big props.

Bigswole
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
It's ok everyone can tell the truth. The reason everyone lifts there head so the camera angle is perfect for the big bench picture. We need to find he guy who started this head lifting thing and tie him up because i do the same thing and absolutely have no idea why.

Rob Luyando
05-15-2009, 01:21 PM
It's ok everyone can tell the truth. The reason everyone lifts there head so the camera angle is perfect for the big bench picture. We need to find he guy who started this head lifting thing and tie him up because i do the same thing and absolutely have no idea why.

That only works if the photogragher is elevated off the ground. A true bencher's boiler would block the head shot even if its lfted up.

SoreFoot8343
05-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Im gonna go with what Vinny says.... I'd love to work out and go thru Vin's routine with him. A girl like me with some bench knowledge could be dangerous :) hehehe

Bigswole
05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Very good point. Rob head up or down your a very impressive bencher and will be seeing you at the olympia this year. Oh! and i'll make sure the camera man gets a ladder so smile pretty.

evilxxx
05-15-2009, 03:00 PM

+1!!

lately I been doing it to even with the empty bar just to make sure the bar comes down to the same place on every rep...

Rob Luyando
05-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Very good point. Rob head up or down your a very impressive bencher and will be seeing you at the olympia this year. Oh! and i'll make sure the camera man gets a ladder so smile pretty.

Won't be there competing but a very good chance I will throwing some Iorn around in the MHP booth with Kennelly

vdizenzo
05-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Im gonna go with what Vinny says.... I'd love to work out and go thru Vin's routine with him. A girl like me with some bench knowledge could be dangerous :) hehehe

You are welcomed to come join us on a Friday for bench. Hope you can m make it one day.

robchris
05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I know it'll get you 3-red lights in the USAPL... I still do it in training though!

(I speak from experience):redface: