PDA

View Full Version : Monolift Recommendations

jonke05
05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm looking to pick up a monolift in the next couple of weeks. So far I have found about three viable candidates. Not constrained (per se) by budget, just looking for what's best...did I miss any? Any recommendations from the veteran mono users out there?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=167&m=PD&pid=2648
http://www.irondawg.com/monolift_by_irondawg_power.htm
http://www.irongladiators.com/index.cfm?page=equipment.cfm&content=Mono.cfm

Thanks much.

Kelly

ACaslow
05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
We have the: http://www.metalmilitia.net/index_files/Page528.htm

It's a very sturdy monolift, very heavy duty so it'd ideal... I like the iron gladiator one as well, it's made by "hardcore" who used to make their own batch of monolifts. I have used the elitefts one as well, it worked fine but felt like aluminum instead of steel..in comparison. It just felt slightly less tough, strong, heavy. I don't know anything about the iron dog one...

barbell01
05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
GET A MATAL MILITIA MONO-LIFT from bill carpenter, adirondack barbell # is 518-668-5393 ask for bill. he will hook you up good, band attatchments, anything you want and price is excellent. you can google metal militia powerlifting if you wanna search for pics or something.

KarstenDD
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Sandi and Zane at Iron Asylum are selling monolifts now. I believe they're only $2100 or so plus shipping. It's the same as the ones they have in their gym. It won't come with band pegs or anything but most don't, although I'm sure they would be willing to work with you on it if you really wanted to. www.ironasylumgym.com

The I've heard about the Elite monolifts feeling weaker but I've never felt that way about them. I think the "aluminum" comments might have something to do with the powder coat. I'm not sure about the Iron Gladiators or Metal Militia ones because I havent used either but I'm sure they're great. I know nothing about the Iron Dawg one.

jonke05
05-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Wow...thanks for all the additional info! I obviously have some more research to do!

JK1
05-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow...thanks for all the additional info! I obviously have some more research to do!

Yeah this thread has made me rethink the one I was looking at too.

The comments about the Elitefts monolifts concern me a bit. This isn't the only place I've heard that, but I've not paid much attention to it thinking those saying it were just being pissy. I've got 100% faith in Elitefts in selling high quality equipment, so I'd be interested in hearing experiences from those members who have that monolift or who've used it.

The pictures of the ones the McCaslins and the Militialift both make them look like absolute monsters. They look well worth the money, no frills, just functional monolift..... I like that.

Travis Bell
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
The band pegs are worth having. Every time we set up a new set of bands on the mono at Westside, it's a royal pain in the neck trying to tip it forward just enough to get the bands under it, but not soo much that it falls over and flattens the guys holding it up.

The benefit of not having the pegs though is we've attached a piece of 4x4 wood to the side to make them even tighter on the bar.

The metal militia one is very heavy duty. Honestly, I'm not sure what brand ours is at the gym. I'll have to check

Lones Green
05-14-2009, 12:05 PM
The band pegs are worth having. Every time we set up a new set of bands on the mono at Westside, it's a royal pain in the neck trying to tip it forward just enough to get the bands under it, but not soo much that it falls over and flattens the guys holding it up.

The benefit of not having the pegs though is we've attached a piece of 4x4 wood to the side to make them even tighter on the bar.

The metal militia one is very heavy duty. Honestly, I'm not sure what brand ours is at the gym. I'll have to check

I've been assigned this duty at at gym. The one we have has a very small gap under the bottom of the mono, so you can slide the bands under, but its real difficult. Trying to do that in briefs is just awful.

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
GET A MATAL MILITIA MONO-LIFT from bill carpenter, adirondack barbell # is 518-668-5393 ask for bill. he will hook you up good, band attatchments, anything you want and price is excellent. you can google metal militia powerlifting if you wanna search for pics or something.

Bill Crawford is the Metal Militia guy not Bill Carpenter! They have the same first name other then that they look nothing alike I don't know why so many people get them confused.

Melitia lift is kick ass product. "Crawford's" equipment kicks ass. I owned botha melitia lift, militia jack, and militia thug bench. Call Crawford and tell him I sent you and he will surely take care of you. May charge you double but he will take care of you. LOL!

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
The comments about ELITE FTS lifts are not true. I have sceen them used at several meets and they held up just fine.

Chris Smith
05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
We have 3 different monolifts at the Powerstation Gym. We have 2 EliteFTS monolifts--they are very sturdy, solid piece of equipment, and have used them at the last 2 Powerstation Pro-Am's. Had them for a few years, with no issues at all. We also have a Militia Lift from Crawford. Again--built very solid--great monolift. We also have a Sarden Monolift, but that guy aint around anymore--he ****ed a bunch of people on orders--took their money and didn't deliver. It is well built--probably overkill, but is a good monolift.

barbell01
05-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Bill Crawford is the Metal Militia guy not Bill Carpenter! They have the same first name other then that they look nothing alike I don't know why so many people get them confused.

Melitia lift is kick ass product. "Crawford's" equipment kicks ass. I owned botha melitia lift, militia jack, and militia thug bench. Call Crawford and tell him I sent you and he will surely take care of you. May charge you double but he will take care of you. LOL!

hahhaha, my bad, i guess i was typing too fast. stupid me! i know the diff, i just F**ked up.

scott rowe
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
just ordered one from sandi and zane and picking it up next weekend. will let you know how it is if like the one at their place u can't beat the price.

ACaslow
05-15-2009, 05:36 PM
The comments about ELITE FTS lifts are not true. I have sceen them used at several meets and they held up just fine.

what's up with you and Elite lately? Don't get me wrong, I think the world of Dave, he has a great source for me. And Jim is awesome to work with.

I think someone is looking for a new sponsor? tisk tisk ;)

Rob Luyando
05-16-2009, 10:24 AM
what's up with you and Elite lately? Don't get me wrong, I think the world of Dave, he has a great source for me. And Jim is awesome to work with.

I think someone is looking for a new sponsor? tisk tisk ;)

Al Al Al........... I call it like I see it. Elite's products are good quality. And as far as the sponsor coment. If i want a sponsor I am sure I can find one that won't jack me around with paranoia bull****! I have played with some Metal gear recently and I think I am qualified to give props to good stuff. So if you mistake my new found support for kissing someones ass you obviously don't know me at all!

Ryano
05-16-2009, 05:38 PM
If i want a sponsor I am sure I can find one that won't jack me around with paranoia bull****!

My guess is, that if ANY gear manufacturer would be glad to have you on board with them (as long as they don't know you drink that DONKEY PISS Corona).:bash:

Rob Luyando
05-17-2009, 06:41 AM
My guess is, that if ANY gear manufacturer would be glad to have you on board with them (as long as they don't know you drink that DONKEY PISS Corona).:bash:

Thanks for the vote of confidence POPs! And I don't drink often so a little monkey piss won't kill me.