PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench 5.13.09 *Video*

Travis Bell
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Here's some video of one of our new toys LOL

We made some "foam boards" a month or so ago and today was my first time useing them

I actually feel these are more difficult than actual boards because you can't relax into the boards. Whatever, it was something to do I guess

Those bands are just about brand new so they were crazy tight

Here's the video

2Qe58Bj5i9I

bencher8
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Strong Travis! Either you guys have denser foam than us or you stopped it before it went in the foam as far as it will go. I have used a 6" peice of foam with a brd under it and the bar would hit the brd before it stopped....

The foam is definately different....wit brds you feel the bar stop, with the foam it feels like it should stop, but it keeps going....kinda weird, but a good training tool lol

thegreatone
05-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Nice work! That band tension has to be brutal.

WillNoble
05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
outstanding work man, very strong out of the hole

Who is that spotting, couldnt tell, but he's a goddamn monster

KarstenDD
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Looking strong, Travis. It looks like it was a stiffer foam than say a manpon press or something like that too.

MarcusWild
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
That's pretty cool. Is that foam crazy dense or is the idea that you press it when it starts to sink into the foam? I could see how that'd force you to stay tight. A lot of people (including me) develop a bad habit of getting loose at the bottom with boards and sinking the boards into their body with the bar.

barbell01
05-13-2009, 05:28 PM
sweet! i have been using these foam rolls that kids use in swimming pools for floatys, i just tape a section on top of whatever board i choose, it's pretty slick. the rolls are like 5 feet long and like 3'' diameter, they're like 2 dollars.

MarcusWild
05-13-2009, 05:46 PM
sweet! i have been using these foam rolls that kids use in swimming pools for floatys, i just tape a section on top of whatever board i choose, it's pretty slick. the rolls are like 5 feet long and like 3'' diameter, they're like 2 dollars.

haha, I had the same idea. Only they weren't in stores yet. I need to go check again now that summer is almost here.

Lones Green
05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Awesome work Travis!

chris mason
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
That looks pretty interesting Travis! I think that in a way the foam may prove to be better than the boards. We shall see.

Travis Bell
05-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys! Training has been going exceptionally well since my last meet.

Who is that spotting, couldnt tell, but he's a goddamn monster

That's Drex Welch. Very good bencher. He's been going 850+ in the gym lately.

Looking strong, Travis. It looks like it was a stiffer foam than say a manpon press or something like that too.

Well, it's actually super soft LOL. I was cutting it before the foam stopped it
(reason I'll explain next) but I'm a dirty dirty cheater is all.

That looks pretty interesting Travis! I think that in a way the foam may prove to be better than the boards. We shall see.

Yeah I think it has some aspects that will be more beneficial than 2brd or at least different LOL

I cut them before the foam stopped it because I wanted to have to catch the weight this week. I wanted my body to be what was changing the direction of the momentum (although obviously the foam helps a little) not the boards or the foam. This forces you to still use your pecs and shoulders, just not quite as much as full range. The "2brd" foam also gives you a good gague on the distance you need to go, because the obvious question that arises is "why not just not use any boards and stop a certain distance off your chest?" but you need the foam to give you a sense of accuracy.

With that foam, if you sink it all the way, it'll go right to your chest.

Whether or not it directly translates is yet to be seen, although the last crazy idea we had (Greg and myself) turned out pretty good so hopefully this will as well.

vdizenzo
05-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Great work Trav.

mosley1990
05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Great work travis. Id hate to imagine that band tension! lol. i really like the idea of this foam board press.

Ben Moore
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Very nice work Travis! That's nutty band tension.

Brian Hopper
05-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Nice Benching!

operationblade2
05-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Fair play that was hardcore weight man!

keep it up, very impressive

Illinimeats
05-14-2009, 07:34 AM
That was cool, wish I could have been there to watch it live.

Illinimeats

Rob Luyando
05-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Nice work travis.

Bencher8 don't even think about it. If I know you you will try this and add 5 other things to it at the same time and end up getting hurt.

Erik 23
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Man im the last one to see this lol Great job Travis you are Very strong keep this up