PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Bench Day 1

Andre518
05-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I just started my 5/3/1 program Monday and really like it and can feel it each day. Today was my 1st day doing bench press in this program and I was a little disappointed in myself. I only hit one of my full sets on my assist bench sets. This how today played out

Warm up
125lbs x 5 got it
155lbs x 5 got it
185lbs x 3 got it

Work set
200 x 5 got it
230 x 5 got it
265 x 5 or more I only got 6

Assist work I did a bench press pyramid down
235 x 10 got 9
235 x 10 got 5
200 x 10 got 8
170 x 10 got it
170 x 10 got 9

Dumbbell Rows
60 x 10
60 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10
40 x 19
I got all of them

I'm looking for some advice on the pyramid should I stick with these weights for the month and keep track to see if I improve or should I go lighter and get the reps? I was pissed with myself that I couldn't hit all my reps today and would like to know what would be the smartest move for next week so that I progress at the best of my potential. Thanks guys.

gatorman2k6
05-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and from my calculations your training max for this cycle was 310-315, right? Well, first off, did you make sure to take 90% of your actual max? If not, you will stall fast. Second, it looks like you are doing the Boring But Big accesory template. If this is the case, you shouldn't have used 235lbs. You are supposed to use at most 60% which would mean for a training max of 315, you would use 185 and stay there or work your way lighter. But, be careful because he says in the manual to start your first BBB cycle with around 40%. This early, you shouldn't be missing reps. I hope this helps, but if you didn't buy the manual, go ahead and buy it because it is only 20 bucks and well worth it.

Andre518
05-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah I did my training max of 310 and the reason I went wit 235 is I seen the example Jim used for the pyramid down he used the weight he ended his work set with and went down from there. The way I thought you would do 60% was if you were doing just a plain 5 x 10. Thanks a lot that really helped out. That may explain why I am SO soar from my military and dead lift days. I pyramid down from my end weights. I did buy the book and I had it printed and put together at my job. Best 20 bucks I spent in a while.

Jeff Garvin
05-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I had the same problem with my squat, that I wasn't hitting my required reps and I actually when back and forth with Jim through emails about this and what I was doing wrong was using my 90% of my competition max and not an acutal max. Difference being using knee wraps and adrenaline.

If this is your first cycle then you should def. be hitting the requirement reps. Leave you ego at the door and drop the weight even more if you have to. This was my problem for my first 2 cycles and I had to go back and re-do everything. I would say drop the weight for the assisted work and possible even for the main 5/3/1 lifts. Drop it all about 5-10lbs. This is the advice Jim gave me for my squats and I just did it with all my other 5/3/1 lifts.

gatorman2k6
05-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah I did my training max of 310 and the reason I went wit 235 is I seen the example Jim used for the pyramid down he used the weight he ended his work set with and went down from there. The way I thought you would do 60% was if you were doing just a plain 5 x 10. Thanks a lot that really helped out. That may explain why I am SO soar from my military and dead lift days. I pyramid down from my end weights. I did buy the book and I had it printed and put together at my job. Best 20 bucks I spent in a while.

It's all good, I'm just glad to hear that you have the book because there have been a lot of threads/ Q and As on Elite where people ask questions that are clearly written out in the manual. Good luck with the program and remember it is a lengthy process. I'm enjoying it though.

geoffsherman
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I am on my 6th wave and here are my recommendations from what I have done:
- You are doing too much warming up. If your work sets start at 200, I would do 5 x bar, 3 x 135, and get into it
- I wouldn't start playing with the pyramids until you are a little farther along and used to the reps. The BBB would be a great accessory for now if you are looking to build mass. Otherwise, you might want to do something like Seated DB Press, Incline DB Press, or CGBP depending on where your weaknesses lie

Andre518
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I am on my 6th wave and here are my recommendations from what I have done:
- You are doing too much warming up. If your work sets start at 200, I would do 5 x bar, 3 x 135, and get into it
- I wouldn't start playing with the pyramids until you are a little farther along and used to the reps. The BBB would be a great accessory for now if you are looking to build mass. Otherwise, you might want to do something like Seated DB Press, Incline DB Press, or CGBP depending on where your weaknesses lie

Thanks for the tips right now I'm losing weight SLOWLY I'm 260-265 but trying to get as strong as possible and get down to the 242 class. I have until October to lose the weight. I would like to compete in PA in the 242 class.

Darracq
05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I would drop the ass bench and do something with dumbells, like incline db, or floor press with dumbells.Thats a ton of benching the other way.