PDA

View Full Version : Need help, a little history of me, Warning Long post

GHOGH
05-14-2009, 07:42 PM
WARNING LONG POST!!

All right here it goes. I have been lifting old school for a long time. These power lifting methods have been around for a long time but I am just learning them. Call me green but itís true. Now here is a sample of my what I had been doing for a workout, now ďif it aint broke donít fix itĒ right? Well this workout got me to my current PR on the bench of 405. So??

Day 1
Flat bench
Incline dumbbells
flye exercise
Trice pushdowns
1 other tri of many variations

Day 2
Lat pull down
Seated Row
Dumbbell or Bent over rows
Preacher Curls
Dumbbell curls
1 other bi exercise

Day3
Military Press
Front raises
Side raises
Shrugs
Some other shoulder misc.

Day 4 Off
Day 5
Leg Press
Ext
Curls
Calves.

Now I met a guy who works in my company and he used to own a Worlds gym back in the 80ís in Florida. He has also claimed to have met Louie. Any way he started talking about ME and DE and I was like what the hell? He was giving out percentageís and training and everything. Most everything he said is what all you guys talk about. So I changed my program some. It now looks like this 3 day work out MWF

Flat Bench
135x7x2
225x5
315x1
365x1
And just recently 405x1
Incline Dumbbell Flyes
100x6x3
JM or Tate Presses
Tri Pushdowns
Military Press
Another shoulder ex,

Deadlifts
135x7x2
225x3
315x3
405x1x3
Tbar rows
Pulldowns
Some biceps

Squats
135x7x2
225x3x2
315x1x2

Leg extensions
Leg Curls
Calves.

Thatís what I do at the moment. I have been trying to find something that works for me. Now here is where I am confused. You have all these variety of exercises for each lift. Letís use bench. Boards, floor presses, bands, what have you. Do you do all these the same day, use them once or twice then switch? I told you I am green but the worst question is the one not asked so please donít be annoyed just trying to learn.

Very sorry for this winded post but I had to put it out there. If you suffered through it, than thank you very much.

Thanks
Kevin :newbie:

KarstenDD
05-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Look it up. Buy it. Follow it.

bencher8
05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, what you are doing isnt a ME day and DE day...you are just training each lift heavy on its own day.

A WSB template would require a heavy(Max Effort) day for each lift and a light(Dynamic Effort) day for each lift. You will need 4 days to set it up correctly...

Generally speaking you will set it up like this...

Mon.....ME Squat/DE deads
Wed.....ME bench
Fri.......ME dead/DE squat
Sun.....DE bench

You dont have to set it up exactly like this. All you really have to know is that you need 72 hrs between workouts using the same muscle groups. For example, the ME dead is 72 hrs after the ME squat and the DE bench is 72 hrs after the ME bench. There is also tweaks you can do to provide variety or personal preference exercises. For example many do different types of good morning exercises in place of pulling.

Another principle of the system is that you wave your squat de numbers in a three week wave. The numbers vary a little, but, on de day in the squat, start at 50% of your 1rm in the first week, then 55% in the second week, then 60%, then you drop back down in the next week back down to 50%

In the bench you use 60% of you 1rm on your de day, pick an exercise and go 100+% on your ME day(this can be flat bench, floor press, rev band press, etc.)

The only max you gave us was your bench press max, so for your DE day you would use 240-245 for 9 sets of 3 reps. If you use bands you have to calculate the bands into that as well. So for example, you use a mini band that adds 30 pounds to the bar in tension, so 240-30=210...you would put 210 of weight on the bar and add the mini band.

I hope this helped clear it up some...you can find articles explaining all this on different sites on the net. You can also talk to Travis Bell on here as he trains at westside right now...

GHOGH
05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys, I will start working on a new program and let you all know how it goes. Again Thanks very much.