PDA

View Full Version : Clean bulk my a$$

vdizenzo
05-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Ok for 18 days I have been eating very well. I am eating all the right foods. Eggs, lean beef, chicken, cottage cheese, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, veggies, fruits, whole grains, natural peanut butter, milk. I have also been very consistent with my Nitrean shakes and other supplements. I am up over 5500 calories a day and I have not gained a lb.

Now I am the first to tell people to sack up and eat more. Well, I can't. I'm close to tapping out. It's hard to eat anymore relatively clean calories. I am eating all day long. I have a few last ideas before I go down the chocolate lead path to Drake's Cakes. I can increase my nut intake (ok, insert joke here), add olive oil to my shakes, and or drink Gatorade during the day.

Sorry for the rant. Clean bulking sucks. Those words should just not go together.

Pimpstick
05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Vinny,

Do you feel better when you eat clean? My last bulk I was taking in around 4k calories a day, a far cry from your 5,500, but even still if I ate McD's 4x a day I'd feel like ****, especially upon waking up in the morning.

vdizenzo
05-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I feel great, I just can't gain weight.

tnathletics2b
05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Vinny,

You are a pro and know your stuff, no doubt about it. But, I have discussed weight gain problems with several MD's and there is a school of thought that every person has a biological limit for a healthy weight limit. For example, there is a guy in my office who runs marathons and weighs 230 pounds. Has weighed that for years- runs 70-80 miles a week, eats freakishly healthy, but he can't lose a pound. 230 is just, well, his weight. Maybe you have hit your biological limit of healthy weight?

Just throwing it out there- good luck with your goals!

vdizenzo
05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Vinny,

You are a pro and know your stuff, no doubt about it. But, I have discussed weight gain problems with several MD's and there is a school of thought that every person has a biological limit for a healthy weight limit. For example, there is a guy in my office who runs marathons and weighs 230 pounds. Has weighed that for years- runs 70-80 miles a week, eats freakishly healthy, but he can't lose a pound. 230 is just, well, his weight. Maybe you have hit your biological limit of healthy weight?

Just throwing it out there- good luck with your goals!

Intersting post. My heaviest was 328.5. I was by no means healthy, but it shows I can get my weight higher than my current 305. I was eating lots of fast foods and sugars. I know people promote clean bulking, but it's harder than you'd think. I am pushing maximum density here. I guess sometimes dirty bulking is a necessary evil. I am trying not to go there.

ehubbard
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
EZ-E, that's our nickname for you Eric. I would have eaten the cookies but you forgot the milk. I think Glenn needed them more than I did. He looked like he was wasting away. Eric, it was cool working with you. I hope you take some of the advice on consistency and patience. You have very good potential. It's up to you now.

It's been 17 days Vin. I thought this was applicable.

T o m m Y
05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
olive oil in shakes is a good idea..

rctriplefresh5
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Ok for 18 days I have been eating very well. I am eating all the right foods. Eggs, lean beef, chicken, cottage cheese, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, veggies, fruits, whole grains, natural peanut butter, milk. I have also been very consistent with my Nitrean shakes and other supplements. I am up over 5500 calories a day and I have not gained a lb.

Now I am the first to tell people to sack up and eat more. Well, I can't. I'm close to tapping out. It's hard to eat anymore relatively clean calories. I am eating all day long. I have a few last ideas before I go down the chocolate lead path to Drake's Cakes. I can increase my nut intake (ok, insert joke here), add olive oil to my shakes, and or drink Gatorade during the day.

Sorry for the rant. Clean bulking sucks. Those words should just not go together.
fruit snacks help me out alot. i usually get up to 3600 calories and 200 grams of protein after eating all of my 3 meals a day, but then i just need a calorie bump so ieat one box of fruit snakcs and that brings me up to 4200 calories they have no protein, but i already hit my 200 gram of protein requirement so its all good. plus i remember you posting a thread asking about taking in 100 grams of additional protein and people said it would be a waste anyways beacause youre body cant digest it.

ZenMonkey
05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Have you thought about carb cycling? It might be easier in your shoes to maybe do some sort of recomp then bulk using a carb cycle.

KingJustin
05-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Vinny, after being a huge fan of the clean bulk for a couple years, I'm starting to doubt it now.

It's ****ing hard to gain weight eating clean once you reach a certain point. I was able to go from about 185 to 215 over a couple years eating clean and my body fat never got above 10%. But, right now at 215, I really have trouble adding any extra calories while still keeping my bulk clean. I've been sitting at this weight for about a year and a half and I've done nothing but maybe dropped 1.5% body fat.

Anyway, you probably know all this, but there's a couple things I've been thinking about trying that might work for you, too...

#1 - I carb load like crazy after a workout. If I do 2 workouts in a day, that means more carbs. So I've been thinking about splitting up my workouts.
#2 - Just add more protein all day. Have like 4 extra protein shakes. These things don't fill you up, so even if you think you're eating a lot for a meal, just add one of these at the end with milk and you've got an extra 800 calories a day.
#3 - Same thing with olive oil as you mentioned.
#4 - Carbs in the morning if you're not doing that already.
#5 - If you're going to start eating some dirty calories, do it post-workout. I always gain .5 lb if I eat like normal, but add a foot long Quiznos sub.
#6 - Be consistent. If I have a good few weeks where I'm really focused I can gain 3 or 4 real pounds, but I usually get too busy and I don't make time to eat too often afterward. Eating dirty > not eating in those instances.

Auburn
05-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I have no experience with being that heavy, so I'll stay away from any recommendations other than to say that I think olive oil is a better idea than nuts. In this instance, nuts don't translate as well from the bomb calorimeter to the body. Digestion inefficiencies and maybe some other factors seem to keep nuts from providing as much energy as one would assume just going off the nutrition label. That, and they will provide more satiety and a higher TEF than straight oil makes the olive oil seem to be the superior source of extra Calories.

Brad08
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Olive oil works like a champ. Toss a few tablespoons in your shakes and you've got an easy 500-1000 extra calories of healthy monounsaturated fats.

Some people say olive oil helps their joints too.

thegreatone
05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Olive oil works like a champ.

Haha! So does ice cream.

Cricket_Fire
05-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Olive oil works like a champ. Toss a few tablespoons in your shakes and you've got an easy 500-1000 extra calories of healthy monounsaturated fats.

Some people say olive oil helps their joints too.
My roommate 1st year of college started doing shots of olive oil first thing in the morning hahaha

teeroy
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Just curious. Are you taking body measurments? I doubt this is the case, but probably would be good to rule it out. That is, what if you are currently at a stage where you are loosing fat but gaining LBM?

Rob Luyando
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Vincent e-amil me on this topic I had a secret.