PDA

View Full Version : Atkins diet while cutting?

RinkerxX
05-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Anyone think its a good idea? I've used atkins before and lost like 15 lbs in 9 days.. I've never lifted and tried it. I was just looking for a good diet to try while lifting.

PatheticJoe
05-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I didn't like induction while lifting heavy but phase 2 worked well as I think any low carb twist to the Atkins plan will.

BrainDed
05-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone think its a good idea? I've used atkins before and lost like 15 lbs in 9 days.. I've never lifted and tried it. I was just looking for a good diet to try while lifting.

Going on and off the Atkins has almost killed my mother. The high intake of fat for extended periods has lead to 1 artery 100% blocked and the other she just had surgery on to get about 30% flow. She would routinely gain and lose 50 pounds being on and off the diet for 6 months at a time.

I'm no expert, but whenever I hear the atkins diet I want to choke someone. Going months with no other nutrients besides protein and fat will put you into ketosis, so you will lose weight, but there are nasty side affects to your heart from the mounds of fatty food that you dont want. Unless you enjoy having a stroke and not being able to move the left side of your body.

Junin
05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
The Atkins diet is what kickstarted my weight loss. I recommend it, especially if you thrive on a low-carb diet.

I just plain feel better on low-carb. My energy level is steady (no peaks and valleys) and I feel good all day.

However, if you are going to go the brainless route and choke down as much fat as you can stomach, then I wouldn't recommend it. The diet is more about high protein than high fat. But even more than that, its about the body's adaptation to low carbs. Ketosis isn't what causes the fat loss.

I hope you'll do some research about any diet you choose before you start it. Anecdotal advice (especially when you cannot validate someone's authoritativeness) should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Junin
05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Also, if you're looking for some reading on the subject, you can go to www.bodyrecomposition.com

There is a wealth of information available on that site (in article form, and on the forums). Check out Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, Ultimate Diet 2.0, and Flexible Dieting. They are good reads.