PDA

View Full Version : Box Squats *VIDEO*

Captain_Crunch
05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I have been training with mostly gear for the past few years and have started training raw the past few months. This is my heaviest weight I've used for raw squats and will try a single in a few weeks. Any advice on raw training is welcome.
JMQHfV2IZHo

Keith
05-17-2009, 10:27 AM
****ing beast! Great effort, dude!

rctriplefresh5
05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
strong posterior chain dude.

Travis Bell
05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd really recommend squatting to a much lower box, but that is still quite strong

mosley1990
05-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Wow. Very inspiring. Glad tomorrow is de lower day :D

Ben Moore
05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I'd really recommend squatting to a much lower box, but that is still quite strong

This - especially if you're competing raw. It's easy to cut it high if you don't have the feel for it.

Great effort though man!

Captain_Crunch
05-17-2009, 12:45 PM

I know the box is high it's 16". I wanted to start at 16" just to get used to the stress on the hips with the higher box. Will eventually work down to 15" and then 14".

slashkills
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Beastly stuff man!

Travis Bell
05-17-2009, 12:55 PM
I know the box is high it's 16". I wanted to start at 16" just to get used to the stress on the hips with the higher box. Will eventually work down to 15" and then 14".

I wouldn't do that.

Just go straight to the 14" box. It'll take you a few weeks to get the hang of that low of a box. Trust me, your hips are going to be all over the place.

Going heavy off higher boxes (for raw lifters) only stresses your hips out earlier because of the much higher weight you are using.

Captain_Crunch
05-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't do that.

Just go straight to the 14" box. It'll take you a few weeks to get the hang of that low of a box. Trust me, your hips are going to be all over the place.

Going heavy off higher boxes (for raw lifters) only stresses your hips out earlier because of the much higher weight you are using.

Thanks for the advice Travis. Makes sense when I think about it. I'll go straight to the 14" tomorrow. Set's of 10 - 15 though so the weight will be down on 2 counts.

Brian Hopper
05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Looked Strong!

chris mason
05-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with Travis, and great lifting!

themayor
05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
what type of mono setup is that?

Captain_Crunch
05-17-2009, 07:46 PM
what type of mono setup is that?

It is home made out of stainless steel. Loosely based on the Crepinsek safety power hooks. It can bolt into any rack with 2" hole spacing.

vdizenzo
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
No doubt very strong. I agree with Travis all the way. Also, watch that wide stance raw. You can really mess up your IT bands. I don't know how well box squats translate into full raw squats. Maybe someone with more experience on the subject can chime in.

Ben Moore
05-17-2009, 09:01 PM
No doubt very strong. I agree with Travis all the way. Also, watch that wide stance raw. You can really mess up your IT bands. I don't know how well box squats translate into full raw squats. Maybe someone with more experience on the subject can chime in.

As long as your using the box as more of a guide and not relaxing onto the box they work pretty well.

WillNoble
05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice work man.

The advice you have been given is the reason I love this board. Some of the best lifters in the world taking time out of their day to help a fellow lifter... /WBB/ = awesome

Captain_Crunch
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
As long as your using the box as more of a guide and not relaxing onto the box they work pretty well.

Thanks Ben. I'll try this tomorrow.

Stew
05-17-2009, 11:59 PM

Being a current raw lifter and just adding box squats to my training, could you and others remark a bit on this?

Other questions for raw box squatting:

1. Depth. How far below parallel should one aim?
2. Stance seems obvious, don't go very wide. Shoulderwidth or thereabouts, yes?
3. You mentioned using the box as a depth gauge. I'm assuming touch and go rather than truly sitting on the box? Why the difference? All I've read from Louie et al says breaking the eccentric/concentric is the reason for box squatting. Does this not apply when not wearing a squat suit?
4. Trying not to overthink here, but should the shins still be beyond vertical? I guess the question would more be how far back should a raw box squatter be sitting?

I appreciate any responses and thank everyone in advance.

Jesse Hernandez
05-18-2009, 12:25 AM
why is going wide bad for raw lifters? I mean.... even in gear its gotta be bad, if in fact its messing up hips for raw. I mean...800 raw and 1200 geared, either way wide would mess them up, but why?

Ben Moore
05-18-2009, 04:37 AM
why is going wide bad for raw lifters? I mean.... even in gear its gotta be bad, if in fact its messing up hips for raw. I mean...800 raw and 1200 geared, either way wide would mess them up, but why?

I don't think he meant it's "bad" necessarily, but it can tear up the hips faster without the support of briefs. My stance in briefs and raw are completely different. Just MHO

Lones Green
05-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Right. You can even throw on some very loose briefs for the hip protection, and they won't give you too much on your lifts.

vdizenzo
05-18-2009, 06:42 AM

I wish I had the fancy technical reason, but I don't. It just is what it is. Everyone here seems to be in agreement. Perhaps you should do both and come back with your opinion. I guess you were one of those kids who had to touch the stove to find out it was hot.

Travis Bell
05-18-2009, 07:24 AM

No, wide stance doesn't have as much an effect on geared, especially multiply. In fact, that's really the best way to make a suit work for you, pushing your knees way out and standing wide, but raw, you don't have the extra support in your hips

Rob Luyando
05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
OK first off this guys is a beast! Since Travis and I have already come to the conclusion that we train different I am going to disagree with him.

As for the 16 straight to the 14 I don't see the harm in 16 to 15 then to 14. He stated he was going to do each height a couple weeks. Just like board work it will strengthen his hips at diffent stopping points.

As for the squating wide raw and hip strength. It will definately take is toll on your recovery time. I have been squatting wide raw the last 12 weeks and my hips are sore as hell. But nothing a good recovery plan can't take care of. For me I am doing it becuase at the end of 16 weeks when I start cheeting with equipment I don't want to have to change up my form.

vdizenzo
05-18-2009, 08:57 AM
As for the squating wide raw and hip strength. It will definately take is toll on your recovery time. I have been squatting wide raw the last 12 weeks and my hips are sore as hell. But nothing a good recovery plan can't take care of. For me I am doing it becuase at the end of 16 weeks when I start cheeting with equipment I don't want to have to change up my form.

The advice on watching width is because he said he is squatting raw now. I have never seen a raw competitor use a wide gear like stance in competition. That stance will take too much of a toll over time. If you only plan on running it for a limited amount of time I guess you can run with it. I just don't advise it.

Travis Bell
05-18-2009, 09:31 AM
OK first off this guys is a beast! Since Travis and I have already come to the conclusion that we train different I am going to disagree with him.

As for the 16 straight to the 14 I don't see the harm in 16 to 15 then to 14. He stated he was going to do each height a couple weeks. Just like board work it will strengthen his hips at diffent stopping points.

The difference here though is he's not wearing gear, so the board thing might not be the best comparison would it?

Do you train that way with your raw work right now? (for bench) Go down a board each week?

Exactly, we do agree here, squatting wide will take a toll on your hips. So if you were to keep squatting raw, would you not move your stance in or am I misreading that?

Wait, are you saying Rob Luyando is going to do a full meet?????????:eek:

MarcusWild
05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I noticed that about Rob's comments too. He mentioned something about liking the Ace squat suit in another thread. This will be interesting to watch.

I agree on going narrower raw vs. wider in gear. If you look at Sam Byrd's squats, he's definitely narrower when raw. That's probably a good example, since he's great at multi-ply and raw squatting. I wouldn't rule out using some wide stance raw squats as an accessory to build hip strength. I just don't think you want to do the bulk of your raw squatting wide.

Captain_Crunch
05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Did squats today and was supposed to do sets of 10 - 15 but just worked up to 500 x 6 . I lowered the box to 14" and tryed to just use the box as a gauge but as you can see I still sat on the box a bit. I moved my feet in a complete foot width on each side as well. Alot more stress in the quads with the closer stance and trying to not relax at the bottom. I've done box squats for so long and only really free squatted with full gear I feel weak supporting the weight at the bottom and not sitting on the box. I'll squat again on Friday with the same set up and on the following wednesday go heavy with the new set up and hopefully go 600+.
CCzaB7qePt4

SELK
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice Squatting!

Nice job on the raw work, its a real bitch training raw after being in the gear for a while. I bet when you do go back to the gear you are going to be far stronger, ive found thats the case with me at least.

Jesse Hernandez
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I wish I had the fancy technical reason, but I don't. It just is what it is. Everyone here seems to be in agreement. Perhaps you should do both and come back with your opinion. I guess you were one of those kids who had to touch the stove to find out it was hot.

Aren't we all at one point?

ChickenLegs83
05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Did squats today and was supposed to do sets of 10 - 15 but just worked up to 500 x 6 . I lowered the box to 14" and tryed to just use the box as a gauge but as you can see I still sat on the box a bit. I moved my feet in a complete foot width on each side as well. Alot more stress in the quads with the closer stance and trying to not relax at the bottom. I've done box squats for so long and only really free squatted with full gear I feel weak supporting the weight at the bottom and not sitting on the box. I'll squat again on Friday with the same set up and on the following wednesday go heavy with the new set up and hopefully go 600+.
CCzaB7qePt4

Solid lifting, brother. :thumbup:

What is your goal for your raw squat?

Travis Bell
05-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Much better squatting man!

If your hips keep bothering you, move your stance in just a tad and see if that helps. but as it is, you are looking quite strong!

Rob Luyando
05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
The difference here though is he's not wearing gear, so the board thing might not be the best comparison would it?

Do you train that way with your raw work right now? (for bench) Go down a board each week?

Exactly, we do agree here, squatting wide will take a toll on your hips. So if you were to keep squatting raw, would you not move your stance in or am I misreading that?

Wait, are you saying Rob Luyando is going to do a full meet?????????:eek:

My raw becnhing is the more full range and then diferent board hieghts depending on my weak points.

As for the raw squating with wide stance I am doing a 16 week cycle before I go back to being a cheater. Thats all I am saying. I don't know if I will compete again let alone full power. But deep down I am just a gear whore.:hello:

vdizenzo
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Wow, nice squatting there. Another great way to guage your depth is to put some foam on your box. This way you know where your depth is without having to actually sit on the box.

vdizenzo
05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
My raw becnhing is the more full range and then diferent board hieghts depending on my weak points.

As for the raw squating with wide stance I am doing a 16 week cycle before I go back to being a cheater. Thats all I am saying. I don't know if I will compete again let alone full power. But deep down I am just a gear whore.:hello:

Rob, you rock! You're still here for a reason. Hey, you may never compete again, but it's clear you love this sport. Thanks for sticking around and helping us all out.

chris mason
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I 2nd Vincent's statement to you Rob.

Captain_Crunch
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Wow, nice squatting there. Another great way to guage your depth is to put some foam on your box. This way you know where your depth is without having to actually sit on the box.

Thanks Vincent. I'll give the foam a try next squat day and see how it works. From the way things felt today I need to work on squatting without sitting on the box to strengthen the bottom position.

Rob Luyando
05-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Vincent I don't mean to bust you out on how old you are but when I was a youngster in the sport I went to you on more than one occasion for advice. I love to lift its in my blood. As long as I am able to I will. And I like this board and majority of the posters so I hang out here.

vdizenzo
05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Vincent I don't mean to bust you out on how old you are but when I was a youngster in the sport I went to you on more than one occasion for advice. I love to lift its in my blood. As long as I am able to I will. And I like this board and majority of the posters so I hang out here.

Rob, I have those emails saved. You went from a guy asking me how to bench, to now the man who offers me advice. You don't find that in many other sports. Very cool indeed.

I'll be one of those guys you see on the platform at 70. This sport is in my blood.