PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic needs help gaining weight

photogman
05-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Just a little history....53 years young... 5'10" 180 lbs. my best bench was about 355, but that was about 10 years ago when I was 43. I was routinely benching 330 about 6 years ago before I had a bout with kidney cancer and lost 1/2 of my right kidney. I am diabetic which is controlled with medication and not requiring insulin. I have a bicuspid aortic valve which will need replacing in about 2-3 years the cardiologist tells me. I have a 4.4 cm aneurysm on my aorta which will need repair. The drs. tell me not to lift anything heavy for fear of rupturing it and checking out. It's hard to stay away from lifting, having been involved in it for awhile.

I am trying to get up to about 190 or 195, but not having much luck...I have started lifting light again (too heavy according to doc) working up to 220 on my bench routine. Since I had cancer I try to eat healthy eating mostly organic (costly). My concern is taking in more calories but watching closely my carbohydrates so my blood sugar doesn't go up. I have 2-3 separate smoothy drinks a day (1/2 banana, 1 cup of organic strawberries, 1 1/2 measures of whey protein powder, and fat-free milk). I was eating only bison, organic chicken breasts, wild-caught sockeye salmon from Alaska, but now have started eating also some herring, sardines, and some lean beef (not too much). I do upper body 1 day, legs next day, rest 1 day, and repeat. Not a scientific workout by any means. I used to carry about 205-210, but that was before my surgery....also, since my surgery I've had a hell-of-a-time staying warm. It seems like I'm cold all the time. Anyway, sorry to bore you with all my background, but I thought it may aid in somebody giving me some good advice. Oh yeah, I had back surgery for a microdiscectomy on L4-L5 a few years back so most of my heavier leg work is on a 45 degree sled. Thanks for any help you can be!

snmcgr
05-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I am a diabetic, as well, however, I am a type 1 diabetic, which does change some things. I happened to come across your post also looking for advice on weight gain, as I quit powerlifting about a year ago and have lost about 20 lbs. of body weight. I doubt I have any good advice for you on gaining weight, it sounds as though you know much more than me, however, you may try adding a couple of tablespoons of olive oil after meals. One tablespoon is 120 kcal (with zero carbs and a great dose of healthy fats) so over the course of the day 10 tablespoons would give you an extra 1200 kcal. You can also add it to your shakes but I always hated that. It may be one way to jack up your caloric intake without your blood sugars going crazy. Just a thought if your not already doing it.