PDA

View Full Version : Bench shirt question

BigTallOx
05-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Since March I've been getting used to benching in a used, slightly big, titan katana. At first I liked that it was big, but now that I'm feeling more comfortable with a shirt, I'd like to get one thats the right size, possibly custom made. Prior to using this katana, I tried a titan furry, also used, but I never really liked it, and eventhough it was also big, I felt like it only compressed my chest in a awkward way and didn't give me anything off the bottom. I mention that because everybody I talk to says that you shouldn't consider a katana until you're benching 500+, and that if I'm going to get a new shirt I should get a furry or f6. So my question is, eventhough I'm not benching 500+ ( I'm getting close to doing 405 in the loose katana ), could the katana still be the right shirt for me ( maybe because with my long arms 400 puts as much pressure/torque on the shirt at 500 with shorter arms? ) A guy I train with said that it was possible that the furry felt horrible because it was big, could that be? From how it felt I think if it was smaller it would only be worse, but that's just my speculation.

Any advice will be appreciated.

MarcusWild
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Are you limited to single-ply? I think the super duper phenom is by far the best shirt for people with long arms. It has a lot of give and it's easy to touch if you tuck. I have a SDP and a super katana. The SDP is easier to touch in and has more pop.

BigTallOx
05-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Are you limited to single-ply? I think the super duper phenom is by far the best shirt for people with long arms. It has a lot of give and it's easy to touch if you tuck. I have a SDP and a super katana. The SDP is easier to touch in and has more pop.

No, I'm not limited to single-ply by the federation I've competed in (AAPF/APF), but thought I was limited to single-ply because of my experience. I've only been powerlifting for about a year, and only benching in a shirt since March.

SELK
05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I think you will be fine in a katana (not sure about super katana, ive never used one).

Ive pressed as little as 350lbs in a stupidly tight katana single ply, and ive pressed as much as 501lbs in the gm in a medium tight katana. My training parter is a 400lbs shirted presser and uses a katana as well.

If you dont jack it down, and have decent technique I think you will be fine, long arms be damned.

mike95763
05-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I think you should just keep eating and lifting to make your loose katana not loose. Unless you have a lot more money than I do (you probably do), I would hold off on getting a new shirt. You are doing well learning your technique with the looser shirt and in all honesty, at this point, even a custom katana is probably not going to give you much more than what you are already getting.

bencher8
05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
"it was possible that the furry felt horrible because it was big"

This might not help much, but in my experience any furry thats big is usually not as good as a tight one lol

BigTallOx
05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I think you should just keep eating and lifting to make your loose katana not loose.

That has been my strategy up to now.

But, if I continue eating and growing like I have been, my currently loose katana will fit right, but I'm going to have to buy all new clothes ( I can't wear my XXLT shirts anymore, and XXXLT are really hard to find, and forget finding a dress shirt with a 21" neck and 39-40" sleeves ).

even a custom katana is probably not going to give you much more than what you are already getting.

I would have agreed with you up to maybe 3 weeks ago, now I'm starting to wonder if that true or not.

BigTallOx
05-19-2009, 03:50 PM
"it was possible that the furry felt horrible because it was big"

This might not help much, but in my experience any furry thats big is usually not as good as a tight one lol

You're right that doesn't help much.

BigTallOx
05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Ive pressed as little as 350lbs in a stupidly tight katana single ply, and ive pressed as much as 501lbs in the gm in a medium tight katana. My training parter is a 400lbs shirted presser and uses a katana as well.

So I shouldn't worry that my current katana is a little loose? The arms aren't loose, but the chest plate is a little loose.

long arms be damned.

Yup, and I've got the longest of them all, lol. But, I'm going to be the best long arm bencher arround, LOL.

SELK
05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
For me, ive found the arm tightness matters much more then the chest tightness.

how jacked are your wearing the shirt now? is it still closed back? To save some cash you could even cut the back open and jack it down further.. Legal in the aapf/apf.. not in usapl/uspf.

MarcusWild
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes, in a Katana the arm tightness is most important. I've seen too many people go with a chest plate that's too small and they can't even properly setup to bench.

MarcusWild
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, in a Katana the arm tightness is most important. I've seen too many people go with a chest plate that's too small and they can't even properly setup to bench.

bencher8
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
just so ya know furry is not how you spell the name of the shirt. The shirt is called a fury....I was referring to the furry patch...but its not funny now that I had to explain it all to you...

BigTallOx
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
just so ya know furry is not how you spell the name of the shirt. The shirt is called a fury....I was referring to the furry patch...but its not funny now that I had to explain it all to you...

Oh I made a typo, sooo sorry.

scott rowe
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM
as long as your hitting pr's now stay with it a tighter one could mess up your form.

BigTallOx
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
as long as your hitting pr's now stay with it a tighter one could mess up your form.

OK, thanks. I've decided that's what I'm going to do for now. Eventually ( when I'm 350, lol ) if my current katana is still a little loose, I may think about having it altered somehow.

ACaslow
05-20-2009, 01:49 PM

I going to agree here 100%, also to what marcuswild posted above.
I have lately been using a tighter shirt and that's exactly what has been happening. I don't have an arch that's worth much, but it does exist and is better than some guys'. With this tighter shirt, I can't arch for crap, I'm basically flat back almost.

So, I'm really wondering if tighter is better? or if sometimes that perfect fit is the way to go you just have to master it a bit more?

My point to you tallox, is to spend more time in the shirt... when it's time for a NEW shirt, as in the one you have now is beat to crap, then figure out if you can afford a smaller one or the one you have used in newer material will be all that much better.

If you have no ply limits, then definitely look into the super phenom, I too have long arms and it has worked tremendous for me.

Rob Luyando
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Take your shirt to a seamstress and have them take slack out of the tricep area folding it over and putting the new seem on the center of the tricep. You will get a lot more tri-cep suport out fo the shirt.