PDA

View Full Version : freezing chicken and hamburger, have much effect on the quality?

wannab250
05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
since hamburger and chicken go bad so fast, you have to either use it or freeze it a couple days after you buy it. i know alot of nutrients in veggies get robbed from the freezer,

im assuming its the same for meat? how much effect will this have on meat? it would be a hassle to have to go get chicken every 3 days cause i cant freeze it lol.

Clifford Gillmore
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Errr, no they don't. The biggest problem with freezing things is everyone just chucks it in the sink to defrost it.

DON'T PUT IT IN THE ****ING SINK!

Defrost everything in a regulated tempreture of about 0-3C, so put it in the fridge. It takes a few days, and you need to plan ahead. Doing this you avoid moisture loss, bacteria growth and possible food poisoning. As far as nutrient loss goes, nadda. Veggies maintain everything, just make sure to do them in the microwave, and meat will never lose any of its yummy zinc and protein until after it has been cooked :)

wannab250
05-20-2009, 01:15 AM
lol what does throwing it in the sink do? besides un freezing it that is?

VikingWarlord
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
It allows bacteria to grow. If you thaw in a refrigerator, that's less likely to happen since they can't live at those temperatures. Alternatively, you can defrost something in the microwave and it happens faster than bacteria can grow.

That said, I thaw things in the fridge but let them sit to come up to room temperature before cooking. Makes for far more even cooking.

Freezing isn't bad. It degrades the flavor and texture of the meat but the nutrient loss is negligible, if it exists at all.

wannab250
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
awesome thanks for the info.

dd2000
05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I actually have fresh beef and chicken burgers frozen. I bought them fresh from a butcher shop. I'm wondering, how long is the meat usually good for when frozen? The burgers also came in a bag boxed. Should I vacuum seal all of them? Will they go bad if they're not vacuum packed?

Thanks

Pimpstick
05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I actually have fresh beef and chicken burgers frozen. I bought them fresh from a butcher shop. I'm wondering, how long is the meat usually good for when frozen? The burgers also came in a bag boxed. Should I vacuum seal all of them? Will they go bad if they're not vacuum packed?

Thanks

Buy a vacuum sealer, they are awesome.

WillNoble
05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
That said, I thaw things in the fridge but let them sit to come up to room temperature before cooking. Makes for far more even cooking.

Such a good gem of advice I only learned a few years ago, I wish someone had told me sooner

[QUOTE=VikingWarlord;2143661]Freezing isn't bad. It degrades the flavor and texture of the meat but the nutrient loss is negligible, if it exists at all.

agreed, that aside so many meat products we do eat day to day have been previously frozen, it is really such a minimal issue.