PDA

View Full Version : Best lower back exercise ever

BFGUITAR
05-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Pull-throughs using bands is the best thing I have ever seen for my lower back. I never knew how amazing they were until I tried them. Honestly I am starting to really like bands. No wonder you westside people are so strong lol.

Tom Mutaffis
05-20-2009, 07:18 AM
BF - How did you set this up? Were you standing on a platform? And what did you anchor them to?

I have a couple of mini bands in my gym bag, but they probably would not provide enough resistance to be worthwhile unless I double looped them.

BFGUITAR
05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I anchored it to a machine that was around in the gym. I wasn't standing on a platform but I would imagine that this would make it harder. I basically tied it the same way tat you would tie it to a rack or anything. I used these really thick green bands and they did the trick. Ive never felt a better hip drive accessory exercise. What you could do as well is maybe tie both mini bands and hold one per hand. Or if your strong enough (which you probably are) do two sets of bands per hand.

My stance was somewhat wide and my starting position involved my back being 90 degrees to the ground, head up. I push down with my legs and ass to drive my hip forwards while making sure the bands dont pull me back (hardest part). I generally held the lockout position for a bit to really get a nice feeling in the lower back.

Kenny Croxdale
05-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Pull-throughs using bands is the best thing I have ever seen for my lower back. I never knew how amazing they were until I tried them. Honestly I am starting to really like bands. No wonder you westside people are so strong lol.

BF,

One of the most unusualy exercises that really works the lower back, posterior chain, is Lawrence DeAlva's Reverse Hyperextension Bench Good Mornings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzsCHxr6jzU&feature=channel_page

DeAlva wrote an article on Reverse Hyperextension Good Mornings for Powerlifting USA, with pictures, a few years ago. Reverse Hyperextension Good Morning blast you posterior chain.

Kenny Croxdale

Sensei
05-20-2009, 10:24 AM
BF - How did you set this up? Were you standing on a platform? And what did you anchor them to?

I have a couple of mini bands in my gym bag, but they probably would not provide enough resistance to be worthwhile unless I double looped them.
Minis would definitely not be enough resistance for you Tom. I like to do pull-throughs and CV DLs (DLs off of a low pulley) w. bands. The only problem is that w. bands, the resistance at the very bottom of the movement is usually too light.

BFGUITAR
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
What is that around her neck?
It looks really cool. The motion is the same just pulling from a different place. Ill try it.

Travis Bell
05-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Pretty sure we have a video on the ALN website of AJ Roberts doing pullthroughs with bands

BFGUITAR
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Minis would definitely not be enough resistance for you Tom. I like to do pull-throughs and CV DLs (DLs off of a low pulley) w. bands. The only problem is that w. bands, the resistance at the very bottom of the movement is usually too light.

All he would have to do is stand out further and that problem would be solved I would think.

Travis Bell
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Ah, these aren't quite the same as what BF described, but still quite effective

http://atlargenutrition.com/mikesell_pullthrough.php

thewicked
05-20-2009, 12:39 PM
i've done those for awhile trav...definately an awesome exercise! Or even banded good mornings if the banded pullthrough is too much as well! builds alot of lowback stability through the reactivity of the bands!

Clifford Gillmore
05-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah, i loved em. I need to do more of them, I try with a medium band for maybe... 30 or so, 10 with a heavy.

geoffsherman
05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I just use the cable pulleys on a low loevel for pullthroughs and that solves the issues with bands. I have found these to be effective for glute activation and frying the lower back. I do 4 sets of 20-25.

Lones Green
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Haven't done em in forever...I prefer bands though

Pete22
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Wide stance pullthroughs hammer my glutes and hams, they don't quite hit my back as much as GM's or reverse hypers; I prefer doing them with a low pulley though.

robchris
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Great exercise... I do em' on DL day along w/ hyper's or SLDL.

How much weight do you guys generally use on the low pulley?

I'm usually around 10-15 rep range w/ approx. 100-120lb. :nod:

Sensei
05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
All he would have to do is stand out further and that problem would be solved I would think.
Not exactly - you pretty much need to do some partial standing far, far away from the anchor point doing a partial ROM to be effectively hitting the beginning of the movement. A combination of weights and bands helps but it's still going to have the same issues.

I'm not against the movement at all btw - I love bands for exercises like that. I'm just sayin'...

Hazerboy
05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
We don't have a glute ham raise at my gym, but I've really taken a liking to the banded "iron cross" good morning: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-joe/41-strength-training.html about halfway down the page.

I can low bar good morning around 215 for sets of 10, ~275 for one heavy set of six, and my small band + a mini or two, or my medium band plus a mini or two is VERY challenging for sets of 12.

BFGUITAR
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Not exactly - you pretty much need to do some partial standing far, far away from the anchor point doing a partial ROM to be effectively hitting the beginning of the movement. A combination of weights and bands helps but it's still going to have the same issues.

I'm not against the movement at all btw - I love bands for exercises like that. I'm just sayin'...

Can you explain this further? The starting position can be the same just holding the band further so there is already more tightness right from the start.

Sensei
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Bands have inherent (advantages and) limitations - that's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to be a killjoy.

If you want to work the bottom range of motion w. a banded pull-through, you will likely have to start at a distance far enough away from the anchor that locking it out will be a herculean effort.

BFGUITAR
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I know your not I'm just curious what you mean.
Yeh that exponential increase in tension will get you eventually. First few times I tried it I flew back from the bands and I would imagine that would only get worse as you move further out.

samadhi_smiles
05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
^ could you break the movement into two parts? Stand far away and do half reps for a set then move in and complete full reps for another set?

So superset basically of far away (to hit lower portion with tension) and then closer for the regular full rep?

Clifford Gillmore
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM
We don't have a glute ham raise at my gym, but I've really taken a liking to the banded "iron cross" good morning: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-joe/41-strength-training.html about halfway down the page.

I can low bar good morning around 215 for sets of 10, ~275 for one heavy set of six, and my small band + a mini or two, or my medium band plus a mini or two is VERY challenging for sets of 12.

The guys at my gym do these after squats, with two heavy bands, one light, and a doublemini around the knee's. Its brutal