PDA

View Full Version : A good artice... on T-Mag??!

WillNoble
05-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Tate/Green put a really good one up, some really great free coaching and info...

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dave_tates_sixweek_bench_press_cure

Auburn
05-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Green knows what he's talking about, he's built for show.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515KdxTlEbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I did like the article, though, as I do everything Tate has put out there.

Clifford Gillmore
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Very good article, good find will.

WillNoble
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
yeah it was sent to me, I was pleasantly surprised... I fired off a few copies to the casual lifters who work for me, they came with some very good questions over the course of today.

Hazerboy
05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Aw you beat me to it. I saw that yesterday night. Tate has some great stuff, I really liked what he had to say about "pulling" the weight off the pins, as well as his breakdown of his groove -- elbows break first, push towards the face. I think he said he used to teach benching in a straight line though he likes this better.

I'm wondering though what some other bench experts on here have to say about tates advice though? its always nice to get a second opinion.

KarstenDD
05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Bench advice? From Dave? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WillNoble
05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
He may not be the best bencher of all time, but the advice is solid...

Its more advanced than 99.999% of what your average t-bag reader actually gets exposed to...

Oh I forgot, I guess they're called "T-Muscle" now... Man, TC is a marketing GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!11

KarstenDD
05-21-2009, 06:30 PM
I just like making fun of Dave.

WillNoble
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
the beginning of the video is hilarious... 3 f-bombs in 20 seconds

WillNoble
05-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Dh3t6T-nqP0

Reko
05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
unpossible!

chris mason
05-21-2009, 08:06 PM
That is a nice article and video! Good content!

MNRob
05-21-2009, 08:43 PM
For non competition types, is it ok to be benching without such a big arch as Dave demonstrates, while doing everything else (to the best of ones ability)?

KoSh
05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Holy ****. Watching that video, my bench form blows.

Gotta fix that tomorrow...

KarstenDD
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Holy ****. Watching that video, my bench form blows.

Gotta fix that tomorrow...

It'll take a lot longer than that.

KoSh
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
It'll take a lot longer than that.

I exaggerated slightly. I'm not that bad.

Gotta work on some things. And yeah, it will. But the process can begin tomorrow.

Kenny Croxdale
05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Tate/Green put a really good one up, some really great free coaching and info...

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dave_tates_sixweek_bench_press_cure

Tate's a smart guy. Dave provide some great information. However, the problem with most novice and intermediate lifters is they perform too many warm up sets.

Performing 8 sets with only the bar (as Tate mentions in the interview) makes little sense. Very little warm up is provided. And working with such a small load is not effective in develop technique.

One of the interesting points of the training video is Tate demonstrating that the bar needs to be driven back toward the head in bench pressing (6:35 maker on video).

Kenny Croxdale

Sensei
05-22-2009, 08:48 AM
[COLOR="Navy"]Tate's a smart guy. Dave provide some great information. However, the problem with most novice and intermediate lifters is they perform too many warm up sets.I don't know about that Kenny. IMHO, most of them perform too many warm-up reps, not sets.

Performing 8 sets with only the bar (as Tate mentions in the interview) makes little sense. Very little warm up is provided. And working with such a small load is not effective in develop technique. Working w. the bar is to get the blood moving and practice the movement pattern - I never felt it was a waste.

One of the interesting points of the training video is Tate demonstrating that the bar needs to be driven back toward the head in bench pressing (6:35 maker on video).
That is very different than the stance WS (and Tate) used to have.

Travis Bell
05-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't know about that Kenny. IMHO, most of them perform too many warm-up reps, not sets.

I was just going to type the same thing but you beat me to it.

Working w. the bar is to get the blood moving and practice the movement pattern - I never felt it was a waste.

I've always felt I am stronger when I warm up properly. Typically I can go farther in my ME workouts

Yeah, we don't do that raw (at Westside) , but in the shirts, because we touch low, you have to press it back a little so as to keep the bar over your triceps and be able to lock it out quickly.

When we bench raw (which is a lot) we don't tuck quite as much, so we don't touch near as low and then don't really need to press it back over the face. I'll have to get some video from the side because I don't think I do, but maybe in fact I do it unconsciously near the top.

WillNoble
05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't know about that Kenny. IMHO, most of them perform too many warm-up reps, not sets.

Working w. the bar is to get the blood moving and practice the movement pattern - I never felt it was a waste.

I was just going to type the same thing but you beat me to it.

I've always felt I am stronger when I warm up properly. Typically I can go farther in my ME workouts

Yeah, we don't do that raw (at Westside) , but in the shirts, because we touch low, you have to press it back a little so as to keep the bar over your triceps and be able to lock it out quickly.

When we bench raw (which is a lot) we don't tuck quite as much, so we don't touch near as low and then don't really need to press it back over the face. I'll have to get some video from the side because I don't think I do, but maybe in fact I do it unconsciously near the top.

QFT. you both beat me to the punch

Kenny Croxdale
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Sensi,

Excellent point, I agree. Let me revise my statement to yours, Most peform too many warm up reps, not sets.

[QUOTE=Sensei;2144981]Working w. the bar is to get the blood moving and practice the movement pattern - I never felt it was a waste.

Let's say you can bench 300 or 400 lbs. How much of a warm up is performing 8 sets with a 45 lb bar going to provide for you?

Performing 8 set with the bar provides very little warm up. It amount to Tate's complaing about lifters "performing arm swings" for their warm ups.

A much more effective method is a progressive warm up, which taxes the muscles and gets more blood pumping.

Another aspect of the warm up is to acclimate your central nervous system to the work ahead.

Also, one of the problem with practicing the movement pattern with the ultra light load of the bar is the firing sequence of the muscles groups is completely different compared with one maximum bench press.

As Dr Tom McLaughlin noted in his research, to effectively develop one's technique, a lift need to be performed with loads as close to one maximum as possible. Doing so, trains the central nervous system more specifically to the firing sequence of the musles in a max effort lift.

Research indicates that the best technqiue in a lift is to perform singles with loads in the 85 and preferable 90% of 1RM range. Ironically, this method one of the staples of the Bulgarian Weightlifting program.

Yes, it is.

Kenny Croxdale

Keith
05-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I exaggerated slightly. I'm not that bad.

You mean my bad?

Great video and article. Tate ****ing rules. Thanks for the post.

KoSh
05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
You mean my bad?

No. I don't. But thanks for the incorrect correction. :)

Keith
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
No. I don't. But thanks for the incorrect correction. :)

You missed it. Did you watch near the end of the video?

KoSh
05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
You missed it. Did you watch near the end of the video?

Good call... I did. Freakin' Tate. Hah.

My bad :)

vdizenzo
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Dave rules, Kenny? Sorry, had to do it. I'm biting my tongue. It's the best I can do.

Sensei
05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Let's say you can bench 300 or 400 lbs. How much of a warm up is performing 8 sets with a 45 lb bar going to provide for you?

Performing 8 set with the bar provides very little warm up. It amount to Tate's complaing about lifters "performing arm swings" for their warm ups.

A much more effective method is a progressive warm up, which taxes the muscles and gets more blood pumping.

Another aspect of the warm up is to acclimate your central nervous system to the work ahead.

Also, one of the problem with practicing the movement pattern with the ultra light load of the bar is the firing sequence of the muscles groups is completely different compared with one maximum bench press.

As Dr Tom McLaughlin noted in his research, to effectively develop one's technique, a lift need to be performed with loads as close to one maximum as possible. Doing so, trains the central nervous system more specifically to the firing sequence of the musles in a max effort lift.

Research indicates that the best technqiue in a lift is to perform singles with loads in the 85 and preferable 90% of 1RM range. Ironically, this method one of the staples of the Bulgarian Weightlifting program.

Kenny Croxdale[/COLOR]
Kenny,
Come on - you are knitpicking it to DEATH. I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole article, nor did I watch the video. But, no one is going to do eight sets of singles, doubles, triples, WITH THE BAR and then jump straight to their heavy sets.

You're right that the work with the bar is really no different than doing some calisthenics or bodweight squats to limber up. It's not going to totally screw up your CNS. I'm not really understanding why you feel they are somehow NOT practicing technique with heavier weights...

I'd watch the videos, but I'm actually trying to do some work at the same time here.... I'll get to it later.

Sean S
05-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Dave didn't say to do 8 warm-up sets with the bar all the time. He used an example one time where his training crew needed to do 8 sets with the bar to get warmed-up well. His point was to not just come in and do one warm-up set and jump to a max weight. His point was to do whatever you need to do to get warmed-up properly.
Remember that a large part of his audience for this video is not experienced lifters. We've all seen the people with a 225 lb. 1RM who come into the gym and within 2 minutes they have two plates loaded up and start trying to grind out a max.

Kenny Croxdale
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Dave rules, Kenny? Sorry, had to do it. I'm biting my tongue. It's the best I can do.

VD,

Dave's a smart guy, as I stated in my post.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
05-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Kenny,
Come on - you are knitpicking it to DEATH. I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole article, nor did I watch the video. But, no one is going to do eight sets of singles, doubles, triples, WITH THE BAR and then jump straight to their heavy sets.

Sensi, where I recommend peforming "singels, double and triples, WITHTHE BAR and then jumping to" heavy sets?

You're right that the work with the bar is really no different than doing some calisthenics or bodweight squats to limber up. It's not going to totally screw up your CNS.

It'S not going to do anything to help you, either. Why do anything that doesn't help?

I'm not really understanding why you feel they are somehow NOT practicing technique with heavier weights...

Technique is more effetive developed when near 1RM/max loads are utilized.

I'd watch the videos, but I'm actually trying to do some work at the same time here.... I'll get to it later.

I understand. However, it hard to comment on it with reading the article or watching the video. Something you usually do.

Kenny Croxdale

bill
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Start with just the bar and work up to a 5-rep max effort, using 5-10% jumps in weight. That's what is in the routine for floor press warm ups. I like the fact that Tate doesn't try to complicate lifting.