PDA

View Full Version : How much Dextrose is too much Dextrose?

samadhi_smiles
05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I started out taking 30 grams of it (with milk) and 40-50 grams protein. Now I have upped the dextrose to 50 grams (in orange juice) and 50 grams protein. I feel much better. Is this enough for me to just keep doing it. Is 50 (or I guess more like 70 with the orange juice) grams of carbohydrates too much? I love the better pump from more carbs (I'm guessing a better insulin spike?). Don't want to be doing myself a disservice with it though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Seeing as muscles' primary source of energy is glycogen, I don't think you're doing yourself a disservice. Is this your pre-work out drink?

samadhi_smiles
05-20-2009, 03:04 PM
post workout sometimes I sip a little bit of it before I lift though for some energy (if I haven't had a lot of carbs recently).

samadhi_smiles
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
holy **** I experimented with 100g of dextrose today. 50 grams of dextrose + 50 grams of protein a half hour before workout. Then 50 grams of dextrose 50 grams protein after workout. Its an hour or so after workout and my muscles are pumped. Its ridiculous, it feels so good. Visibly larger than they usually are.

I've been really staying on protein every day but now I think I'll have to focus on getting good amounts of carbs in too. This feels great!

samadhi_smiles
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
wow ok I think 100g might have been too much. Shortly after my insulin spike I got like crazy energy, I think I might have gone hyperglycemic (opposite of what people with insulin deficits get). Might want to back it down in the future :whazzup:

MadScientist
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Split it dextrose and maltodextrin 60/40 and 50g protein

Holto
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
wow ok I think 100g might have been too much. Shortly after my insulin spike I got like crazy energy, I think I might have gone hyperglycemic (opposite of what people with insulin deficits get). Might want to back it down in the future :whazzup:

That crazy energy is the 'other' hormone your body uses to regulate blood sugar; adrenaline.

The solution is to drink more water when that's happening. IMO, this is a very good sign that your body is sensitive to insulin.

samadhi_smiles
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
yeah I think you're right. You know what it felt exactly like an adrenaline rush, more sustained but exactly that feeling.

MS, I'll experiment with maltodextrin soon.

Tom Mutaffis
05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
A maltodextrin / dextrose mix may stabilize things a bit as they break down at different rates.

I have done 50-60 grams of dextrose pre-workout without any issues, 100 grams may be too much though. It really depends on the person (size, overall diet, insulin sensitivity, etc.)