PDA

View Full Version : knee pain doing GHRs

Brian C
05-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I never really did GHRs since our gym doesn't have a machine, so we used the lat pulldown machine by kneeling backwards on the seat and tucking our legs under the knee rest then used a squat box to fall onto. When I did them, I felt pain in the inner knee on both legs and could only do 2 sets before having to stop. The next day the ligaments were very sore and painful. Anyone ever experience this type of pain? Could it be from weakness in the ligaments? If so, what's good way to strengthen them? I sucks since I so badly want to incorporate GHRs in my routine. Thanks guys.

Tom Mutaffis
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Can you video / take a picture of this setup?

This modified GHR that you guys came up with may be stressing the joint.

Lones Green
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, take some video. 99% sure its your setup. Sometimes if you have an old GHR the pad wears out and can jab into your knees, could be something similar

Brian C
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Ill video it next time. Its just a regular lat pulldown that we kneel on backwards and brace our legs under the knee pad. Its ghetto, but seems to work for others. I feel pain in what seems like a ligament in the inner side of the knee.(never injured it either)

Clifford Gillmore
05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I've done the same setup and never had the pain you described. Too much too soon you think?

Brian C
05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I've done the same setup and never had the pain you described. Too much too soon you think?

Yeah could be. Ligs might just not be used to this type of stress.

Keith
05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Here's my variation that really takes the stress off the ligaments that I use to experience by doing assisted body weight ones. With bands, the least amount of stress is obviously at the bottom so now I don't experience any pain or discomfort.

MwXH0GqJbrY

huskybear
05-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I like keith's set up, and need to try that...

I've had the same kind of pain too... when I did my GHR's using my feet pinned at an angle instead of my ankles being the anchor point changed everything for the better!

http://synergy-athletics.com/?p=1136 if you look at the homemade ghr setup, that's how I anchored my feet and it worked perfectly!

Hope that helps brother!

Brian C
05-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Awesome Keith. Ill give that a shot.

Thanks husky for the link. That home GHR setup looks great. Trip to Home Depot soon ;)