PDA

View Full Version : Westside Barbell ME Bench *Video*

Travis Bell
05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Here's video from today's workout.

We used doubled purple bands today which add a little over 200 at the top.

The reason we did bands instead of straight weight is for a couple reasons, but the biggest being it helps you work on technique for touching. As the bands get lighter towards the bottom, the weight becomes less and less (duh right?) which forces you to improve your technique to make it touch. This way, when we head towards these weights (750+) straight weight, touching is a piece of cake.

The other thing is that the bands really work the lockout at the top.

Usually lifters will develop speed off the chest and use that momentum to help them get to lockout. With these bands, they really seem to kick in all of a sudden and take your momentum out (or at least partially).

One thing that popped into my head today is lifters don't think about why they are doing a particular ME exercises. I spend a good amount of time watching video and figuring out how to best attack my weaknesses in my next workout and I really think this is a huge part of my progress in the gym. If you don't know why you are doing said exercise, either come up with a reason (so you can replicate this exercise when you hit the same problem down the road) or drop it and find one that makes sense.

Now...here's the video

h6JoMy29xUo

WESTSIDE BARBELL
"Often Imitated. Never Duplicated"

DrDudley-Robey
05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Great Lifting!

MarcusWild
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
That video is impressive. I agree with what you said about this exercise. I got away from doing it for some stupid reason even though it was working. I started doing more reverse band, and it doesn't work as well.

Erik 23
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Good lifting Travis you are right in the way you think.I love how you figure out where you need work thru a max effort excercise thats something i need to really look at i kinda just been picking a excercise for the day and doing it i need to really look at what i need to hit.

In your opinion are the purple bands best for a Max effort Bench? reason i ask is because you said that you feel that these take the momentum out of the movement right away.

Travis Bell
05-20-2009, 09:16 PM
That video is impressive. I agree with what you said about this exercise. I got away from doing it for some stupid reason even though it was working. I started doing more reverse band, and it doesn't work as well.

Each has it's different purpose. Reverse bands are excellent for putting heavy weight in your hands. That 585 is 785 give or take at the top. 785 is a number I can easily bench right now so it's not really an overload, rather the doubled purple bands work on speed, technique and lockout

The reverse bands are good for overload, still make you focus on technique near the bottom (since they do make it lighter at the bottom) but they actually increase speed instead of slowing you down and allow you to lift more.

Good lifting Travis you are right in the way you think.I love how you figure out where you need work thru a max effort excercise thats something i need to really look at i kinda just been picking a excercise for the day and doing it i need to really look at what i need to hit.

In your opinion are the purple bands best for a Max effort Bench? reason i ask is because you said that you feel that these take the momentum out of the movement right away.

Don't even focus on what weight you need to hit, rather look at your weaknesses and focus on improving them, regardless of the weight used. If your weaknesses get stronger, your overall press will in turn get stronger.

As for the bands, it depends. Sometimes doubled purples can be too much for raw lifters depending on the quality of their technique and strength level. Some people will be better suited to the doubled minis, monster minis or the like. I would start with the doubled minis and go from there. 200+lbs of tension (the purples) feels like a ton more than 200 lbs because it's forcefully pushing down on you

Cyrus Ford
05-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Man you can see the tension from those bands. Strong!

Erik 23
05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Each has it's different purpose. Reverse bands are excellent for putting heavy weight in your hands. That 585 is 785 give or take at the top. 785 is a number I can easily bench right now so it's not really an overload, rather the doubled purple bands work on speed, technique and lockout

The reverse bands are good for overload, still make you focus on technique near the bottom (since they do make it lighter at the bottom) but they actually increase speed instead of slowing you down and allow you to lift more.

Don't even focus on what weight you need to hit, rather look at your weaknesses and focus on improving them, regardless of the weight used. If your weaknesses get stronger, your overall press will in turn get stronger.

As for the bands, it depends. Sometimes doubled purples can be too much for raw lifters depending on the quality of their technique and strength level. Some people will be better suited to the doubled minis, monster minis or the like. I would start with the doubled minis and go from there. 200+lbs of tension (the purples) feels like a ton more than 200 lbs because it's forcefully pushing down on you

Ok thanx for the response travis ima shoot you a pm pretty soon your making so much progress man you are definately doing something right.

kingkong51
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM

I beat I can handle it raw travis

MarcusWild
05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Travis,

I agree with your points. Everything has a time and place if you train for long enough. I need more speed in a shirt, so benching against bands is better for me.

Hazerboy
05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I bet I can handle it raw travis

LOL kong you crack me up. Was that an open challenge?? I'd love to see a vid of that in about a week, you're stuff is always pretty inspiring.

Travis Bell
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I beat I can handle it raw travis

Handle what? The purple bands raw? I'm sure you could. You're a stronger raw bencher than I am and I've used the purple bands raw

Hazerboy
05-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Handle what? The purple bands raw? I'm sure you could. You're a stronger raw bencher than I am and I've used the purple bands raw

...I think he was just jiving you, though I could be wrong..

Travis Bell
05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
...I think he was just jiving you, though I could be wrong..

LOL He was, but I was trying to egg Rob (kingkong) into doing them

Clifford Gillmore
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
One thing that popped into my head today is lifters don't think about why they are doing a [/I]
[/SIZE]

See, this is why I suck! Another great vid Travis, always much appreciated to see what you guys are doing :)

kingkong51
05-21-2009, 05:02 AM
I need to bring my butt to westside. You think Louie can watch a video of my deads and help me with my weaknesses?

KoSh
05-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Travis,

Aren't bands more detrimental to a raw lifter?

Seems to me, most raw lifters struggle at the bottom of the lift and are better at the lockout. The bands make it light at the bottom of the lift so you're never working on your strength in that portion of the lift but you're increasing your strength at the top tenfold.

Seems to me bands and such are awesome for guys who lift geared and not so much for those who don't. Any info you're willing to share here will be awesome. I looked into getting bands (as a raw lifter) and I thought twice about it because of the issue above...

Travis Bell
05-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Travis,

Seems to me, most raw lifters struggle at the bottom of the lift and are better at the lockout. The bands make it light at the bottom of the lift so you're never working on your strength in that portion of the lift but you're increasing your strength at the top tenfold.

Seems to me bands and such are awesome for guys who lift geared and not so much for those who don't. Any info you're willing to share here will be awesome. I looked into getting bands (as a raw lifter) and I thought twice about it because of the issue above...

People always assume a raw lifter is weak off the bottom. That isn't always true.

The other thing is raw lifters need to develop speed as well.

Couple years ago, I got out of my shirt and did nothing but raw work. I cycled mini bands, monster minis, purples and reverse green bands and my raw bench went from 450 to 515 in about 5 months.

You can still build your power off the bottom by using things like cambered bar bench and DB bench.

Also, don't worry, there is still plenty of tension at the bottom LOL. They don't just let off. It's just that when you are heading up, it really kicks in harder

Rob Luyando
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Nice work Travis.

WillNoble
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Thats some crazy band tension

ACaslow
05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
awesome video... and awesome exercise. Looks fun.

Darracq
05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Travis,

You would think that ,but i used to use bands a lot and i am weak at the bottom but it still got me stronger than free weights do. It builds your stretch reflex and gets you used to heavier weights.

Brian C
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Went up easy Travis ;) Awesome

Eric Downey
05-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Thats some heavy stuff

jp2
05-21-2009, 10:39 PM
simply amazing. Just curious..... how often do you guys train shirted vs raw?

Brian Hopper
05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
That exercise is worth trying!!!!!!!!!

BFGUITAR
05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Wow that is ridiculous! Great job!

Travis Bell
05-22-2009, 11:12 AM
simply amazing. Just curious..... how often do you guys train shirted vs raw?

We train in our shirts about once a month

Thanks for all the compliments guys!