PDA

View Full Version : Fluid build-up in muscle?

chris4beta
05-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum because I started working out again last week after about a year off, and this looks like a good forum with active discussions.

I'd like to pose a question to see if anyone else has this issue or knows what the deal is with it. This morning I had a good chest workout - no pain or other issues during the workout. Over the course of the day, my right pec gradually swelled up to the point that it is now 50% bigger than the left one.

It doesn't hurt, it just feels like it is pumped with fluid. It is alarming to look in the mirror and be so dis-proportioned! I work out alone, so I use dumb-bells for all presses, and each side was worked the same.

This has happened one time before, after doing a hard set of preacher curls - the space between my pecs filled up with fluid - almost to where it looked like I had one pec!

Luckily it went away in a day or two, as I'm sure my right pec will be semi-deflated tomorrow. Is this a common thing to randomly have a muscle or surrounding tissue fill with fluid? I tried to search the forums for this to no avail, so sorry if this is a dumb question or something fairly common.

Thanks,
-Chris

Wingy
05-20-2009, 09:57 PM
This has happened to me once also.

nockits
05-21-2009, 05:49 AM
i've never heard of this happening. if this happens repeatedly, i would go and get it checked out by the doctor. i don't think it's normal.

chris4beta
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Well, overnight some of the fluid drained from the pec to my sternum, so uni-pec is back.

I've found some other posts on this elsewhere on the web - and each of those was accompanied by intense pain and bruising at the site of fluid. Apparently the fluid is blood that swells the area to aid in healing. There was never any pain during the workout, nor is there any now. I just did some push-ups to check it out, and felt good.

I'm just going to assume that somewhere in my workout I pushed it a little too hard, perhaps going too deep on my flys, and strained something. The lack of pain tells me it isn't very serious, so I'll just lay off for a few days, wait for the fluid to drain, and just take it easy on the chest workouts for a little while.

Now I just have to deal with my swollen uni-pec bouncing around when I walk!

jpjay411
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I've got the same thing going on right now - both pecs ballooned up and now the fluid seems to be settles around mt sternum. I'm guessing this is just the last place the fluid drains from. I'm giving it until Saturday to go away.

chris4beta
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
@jpjay411 Is there any pain? Did you do a hard chest workout?

For me, it took about a week before it totally went away. It happened on Wed... Thurs-Fri the fluid was at sternum-level, and Sat-Sun it had finished down on my abs when it finally went completely away.

I think it had to do with over-working it, because after I took a week off to let it rest - I was a little more tender on the right side when stretching. Even now I'm weary to go too deep and get too big a stretch in my chest exercises, but other than that - I was completely fine with just leaving it alone for awhile.

I would say though, that if you are experiencing pain with it, to go see a doctor. I never felt any pain so I figured my body could take care of it with a little rest - but if tomorrow you can't do a push-up without pain, better to be safe than sorry and get it looked at.

-Chris

Off Road
06-25-2009, 05:14 PM
That's just weird :confused:I would be totally freaked out :omg:

Tim K
06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I've blown blood vessels in my eye on a tough, max effort bench before, but I've never experienced fluid build up (sounds like a hematoma). Any bruising associated with the swelling? If you have any type of health insurance, I would get it looked at now, while it is in its current state. Find out what the problem is and how to avoid it in the future.

Off Road
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
But it moves :omg:
We need an alien smiley :evillaugh:

nockits
06-25-2009, 10:03 PM
jesus... just thinking about it give me the creeps...

zbollman
06-26-2009, 01:30 AM
You may want to get that checked out...

Zach

Southern Beast
06-26-2009, 03:33 AM
I'd certainly call the doctor.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Have you seen a doctor yet?

d0rkyd00d
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Post pics please?

Soon after, I expect to see threads all over the intrawebz about what exercises to do to get a uniboob.

depotman
06-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Take a look here - http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/

I've found this to be a great help in finding out as much info as possible on an injury before consulting a doctor. Not saying you shouldn't consult a doctor, but finding more info is always a good thing.