PDA

View Full Version : Squat form critique *videos*

gatorman2k6
05-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is the video of 135x5:

AtWvSqcmqIw

Here is the video of 185x3:

mgaCjD2ydfk&feature=channel

I'm not sure what to think of my form...I know my knees come forward but I have heard conflicting opinions on this since I squat narrow. I also notice that on my last rep of 185, I goodmorning the weight up. I'm hoping this is due to me taking longer in between reps and not being as prepared as I usually am, because I have gotten 10 and 12 reps with 185 before and don't want anyone to think I was lying. Oh, and I know I don't have any spotters or a good lifting area but you work with what you are given and I am working on getting some saw horses to use as spotters. Let the critiques begin!

Hazerboy
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Arch your back more. Everyone struggles with this but you always have to keep this in mind - arch arch arch.

Keep your knees out the whole time, especially when you hit your sticking point. This isn't that big of a deal but its definitely something to think about.

Other than that it looks pretty good. Your knees are fine - taller people will always have knees that go past their toes ab it, especially if you squat narrow. The point is to keep your weight on your heels.

Why are you wearing a knee wrap? Also, what are you goals?

gatorman2k6
05-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for the tips! It's a knee sleeve and I'm wearing it because in October, the doctor told me I had loose cartilage under my knee cap, so it is more for precaution. My goals are mainly to get as strong as possible and although I am doing 5/3/1 and focusing on the big lifts, I don't really plan on competing, or at least I don't at this point in time. Keep the comments coming.

Cmanuel
05-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Looks great IMO. Are you doing low bar or high bar position? Looks low bar to me due to your elbows flaring out behind you. As the above poster mentioned, don't worry about the knees. Its inevitable with a narrower stance.

gatorman2k6
05-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Looks great IMO. Are you doing low bar or high bar position? Looks low bar to me due to your elbows flaring out behind you. As the above poster mentioned, don't worry about the knees. Its inevitable with a narrower stance.

Thanks! I thought it was high bar, but I could be wrong. I'll try to get different angles the next time I squat. I'm glad to hear that my form isn't as bad as I thought it was.

=Travis=
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Keep your upper back tight and drive it into the bar, pushing the elbows down under the bar and keeping the head up helps with this. This will help with the squat turning into a GM but it doesn't look like you did that too bad. Looks good.

Ron C
05-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Aside from the iffy form, get some space between you and the bookcase, if at all possible! Get a box. It'll teach you to sit back and use the glutes, hips and hams. This is where the power comes from. You can do front squats, zerchers, lunges etc for the quads. Squatting is about the glutes, hips, and hams. Proper use of the box will allieviate the need for any knee wrap (unless there is a pre-existing injury you are protecting), b/c you don't put any stress on the knee with the 90+ degree angle of the knee when on the box.

Travis Bell
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Not too shabby gator!

Are you squatting in the library or something? LOL

Sit back just a little further and get that arch just a tad tighter, so try and not lean forward quite so much

Bigswole
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
head up chest out. otherwise good squatting and good to see no matter what the condition you still train.

joey54
05-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I didn't think the last rep looked all too bad either. I was expecting much worse the way you described it.

gatorman2k6
05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, thanks so far with all the tips! It looks like I will really focus on keeping my arch and staying tighter. The sleeve is on because I had loose cartilage under my knee cap back in October. I'll try and move my bench further out from the bookcase too(Travis, those are all my dad's books). I had thought I was leaning too far forward, so I'm glad Travis mentioned that, and I will try to work on fixing that. I figure that will be fixed with the staying tighter. Let me know if there is anything else.

Ben Moore
05-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Echo the tips above and add it wasn't too shabby man!

gatorman2k6
05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks Ben! This is why this site is so great, I can post my video and get top lifters to actually watch it and let me know what to fix. I appreciate all the help.

gatorman2k6
05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Any other suggestions? I squat again on Monday and will be sure to get videos.

Cmanuel
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Any other suggestions? I squat again on Monday and will be sure to get videos.

Yeah, keep up the good work! I wish more people in my gym squatted like you. I had this trainer the other day squatting with a client beside me in another power rack and he just stood there and said "good, good" as his client did quarter squats. WTF

gatorman2k6
05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, keep up the good work! I wish more people in my gym squatted like you. I had this trainer the other day squatting with a client beside me in another power rack and he just stood there and said "good, good" as his client did quarter squats. WTF

Thanks man! I really appreciate the compliments in this thread. I had hurt my knee due to poor form, which is the main reason why I hadn't squatted in so long. Then I decided that I wanted to start squatting again, and I better learn proper form or else I'm just going to hurt my knee even worse. This is getting me all pumped for some squatting on Monday.

Cmanuel
05-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks man! I really appreciate the compliments in this thread. I had hurt my knee due to poor form, which is the main reason why I hadn't squatted in so long. Then I decided that I wanted to start squatting again, and I better learn proper form or else I'm just going to hurt my knee even worse. This is getting me all pumped for some squatting on Monday.

This is the way to do it. I really wish more lifters operated this way. Kinda like when I first started getting serious about lifting 2 years ago, I knew my squats sucked. So i sucked it up, and reset the weights way back and focused on proper form. Big props for you for taking initiative on correcting form!

gatorman2k6
05-23-2009, 09:01 AM
This is the way to do it. I really wish more lifters operated this way. Kinda like when I first started getting serious about lifting 2 years ago, I knew my squats sucked. So i sucked it up, and reset the weights way back and focused on proper form. Big props for you for taking initiative on correcting form!

Thanks man! I was just sick of seeing people at our school's gym throw on 225 or 315 and do quarter squats, so I was determined that if I was going to squat, that there would be no question in anyone's mind that I was going deep enough.

Question, does anyone have any tips on getting my elbows under the bar? And are there any exercises or drills to help me arch more or will the elbows under help that? Thanks for the help and I just keep telling myself there is always something to improve on, but take it step by step and you'll get there.

gatorman2k6
05-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Meant to post that stuff in my journal.

gatorman2k6
05-25-2009, 04:11 PM
So, I squatted again today, but didn't get videos since I didn't squat at home. I got 185x10. While working in front of a mirror (I know this isn't always good), I really focused on getting my elbows under the bar. I also did front squats for the first time. Does anyone feel that these help them stay upright in a back squat? I think they will help me stay more upright since I have to with the weight in front of me. Thanks again for all the tips.

CrazyK
05-25-2009, 04:42 PM
The other guys pretty much covered it. I'll add in that squatting with that bookshelf right behind you could be potentially dangerous. If you could find a place with more space in case you have to drop the bar it would be better.

and lol @ the TD Ameritrade commercial in the background.

gatorman2k6
05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
The other guys pretty much covered it. I'll add in that squatting with that bookshelf right behind you could be potentially dangerous. If you could find a place with more space in case you have to drop the bar it would be better.

and lol @ the TD Ameritrade commercial in the background.

Thanks, yeah, I now work at a YMCA, so today I squatted there in their power rack. I didn't notice the commercial, you have some pretty good hearing.