PDA

View Full Version : The use of bodyfat while bulking

LuNa
05-21-2009, 01:21 AM
I have been in doubt about something. I have a pretty high bodyfat % (no calculations, used the mirror) so i was wondering do i still have to consume more than maintenance to gain muscle? So i am not especially talking about weight, just muscle. I understand that if you want to gain weight you have to eat more, however will my body use any stored bodyfat to feed my muscles if i eat at maintenance? I guess this would relate back to loosing fat and increasing muscle at the same time.

Thanks!

VikingWarlord
05-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Your body won't use fat to build muscle since fat is fat, not protein.

It is possible to recomp by eating right around maintenance and training hard. It's a painfully slow process but it does work if you're patient enough.

LuNa
05-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Your body won't use fat to build muscle since fat is fat, not protein.

It is possible to recomp by eating right around maintenance and training hard. It's a painfully slow process but it does work if you're patient enough.

Yeah, of course. Thanks a lot!

samadhi_smiles
05-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Viking is right - it won't build anything with the fat, but the fat can be used as energy if you eat right at or SLIGHTLY below maintenance. You then must focus on getting good protein in so your body can have something to maintain and even build muscle mass.

You should look up 'carb cycling'