PDA

View Full Version : Sparing Muscle on Cut

mattburns
05-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Ok so I'm about to do my first strict cut. I have cut before but it's generally been haphazardly done and resulted in a bit more LBM loss than what I'd like. This time round I'd ideally like to keep as much LBM as possible.

What I want to know is if my following plans will help me lose fat and retain muscle.

Current Stats
Weight: 244lbs
BF: 18% (?)

Desired Stats
Weight: 224lbs
BF: 12%
= Fat loss 17.04lbs
= LBM loss 2.96lbs

Diet
Bulking (approx)-
5000 cals
200g fat
500g carb
325g protein

Current cutting (approx)-
4500 cals
160g fat
450g carbs
325g protein

This is split over 6-7 meals a day. Breakfast/Lunch are pre/post workout and are pretty high carb/protein. The rest vary but my pre bed snack is generally high protein.

Supplements
7g Creatine Monohydrate
Cod Liver Oil Capsules
25g ephedrine (starting next week)
200g caffeine (same)

Cardio
Football (Soccer) 1-2 hours 2-3 times a week
Cycling- 10 mins 2-3 times a week.

Weights
Upper/Lower trained twice each a week- 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps with heavy weights.

OK so does this look ok for now? Dropping approx 500 cals per day while keeping my protein the same/higher and keeping my fat up while dropping some carbs?

There is a lot of room for improvement in cardio but I thought it best to take it easy to start with then as I lose more I can step it up with HIIT. The eph/caff stack is to help with appetite suppression and energy when the carbs start to get lower. Is this a good idea?

My goal to get to roughly 12% has allowed me to approximate I can afford to lose 3lbs of LBM. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right this time so I don't lose all my hard earned muscle and strength gains!

mattburns
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM
:windup: Anyone?

Unreal
05-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Looks fine if the numbers are all good. I wish I could cut on that many calories.

Holto
05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I'll add that your best bet is LIFT HEAVY!

Also, way too much cardio. There is nothing magic about cardio, you can burn 300 cals on the bike or just eat 300 cals less...

Man I miss Built...

KoSh
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
If you're taking in the proper amount of protein, I doubt you'll see much muscle loss...

Mercuryblade
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I'll add that your best bet is LIFT HEAVY!

Also, way too much cardio. There is nothing magic about cardio, you can burn 300 cals on the bike or just eat 300 cals less...

Man I miss Built...

My metabolism has tanked since I took a desk job, and it's looking like I need to start up the cardio again. Eating 1200 calories a day sucks.

KoSh
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM
1,200 calories a day? Holy crap. I thought eating 2,000 was difficult...

Mercuryblade
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
1,200 calories a day? Holy crap. I thought eating 2,000 was difficult...

Yeah it really sucks. When I was in college and walked around all day between classes I really didn't have to watch what I ate when it came time to cut, just ate a bit less than usual. Now I'm tracking every almond I eat, every baby carrot...

mattburns
05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the comments.

As for the cardio/calorie intake comment I definitely understand what you mean. Part of the aim of this is also for my fitness to improve hence the cardio. I'll be at this level calorie wise for a few weeks, see how it goes, then maybe drop another 3-500 cals.

I do lift heavy too.

Mercury- 1,200 cals is insane. I eat that much in my first two meals!

Holto
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Part of the aim of this is also for my fitness to improve.

This is almost in the league of choosing bulk VS cut. If you need to improve your VO2Max, you should define a separate program for that which is neither bulking nor cutting.

I do lift heavy too.

Figured you did. My rule is to keep lifting at a minnimum, what I was lifting.

So if I normally get 8 reps on my 1st heavy set and after a week or two of cutting I start getting 5. I won't drop the weight.

tnathletics2b
05-22-2009, 11:08 AM
You will eventually lose weight, but it will be slow going. Cutting 500 calories a day is supposed to be equal to a pound a week. If you want to lose 20 pounds, that equals 20 weeks which is roughly 5 months. Seems like a while to me. Usually cutting is an 8-12 week procedure according to what I think most people do. I might consider dropping 1000 calories.

KingWilder
05-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Lyle McDonald had an article awhile back on the Maximum Dietary Deficit you could sustain to lose fat and preserve LBM

weight X body fat % = Fat Mass

Fat Mass X 31 = maximum dietary deficit (in kcal)

subtract that number from your maintenance (approx. 15-16 cal/lb depending on activity...17-18 if REALLY active) and that's the lowest you should go

obviously this will decrease as you lean out

mattburns
05-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks again for the comments, exactly what I was after.

Holto- VO2 Max is more of a hopeful by product of the cut. I'm more focussed on losing the fat but hoping to get a little fitter in the process. When I'm at a decent BF% I can focus on getting fit as possible.

Tnathletics- Yea I wasn't planning on staying at -500 cals for the whole duration, more periodically drop it down as and when I make progress.

Wilder- Cheers bro that's an interesting formula, puts my maintenance at approx 4k and the lowest I can go at about 2750 so yea I think I have a bit of room for improvement there. I just didn't want to go from bulking on 5-5500cals and drop too quick.

Holto
05-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Holto- VO2 Max is more of a hopeful by product of the cut. I'm more focussed on losing the fat but hoping to get a little fitter in the process. When I'm at a decent BF% I can focus on getting fit as possible.

I'm not sure risking significant LBM for a by product is worth is. I say this in the context of you saying you've lose significant LBM before. Some people are fine with lots of cardio.

Looking at you as a subject, you're training heavy, diet is nailed...not much else to point the finger at.

The other thing is, when you're not dieting you can do some really nasty cardio and load up on carbs before the session. Then you can really push yourself and bump up your V02M in a hurry...

Just my .02, good luck bro.

Cards
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
train the same way and the same intensity as if you were bulking, that's the key to keeping your LBM on a cut. lift heavy weights and go balls to the wall. you need to make your body think that its best solution is to burn fat and not muscle. if you drastically switch your routine to something much lighter than you were doing before and on top of that giving your body less calories than it's use to, the first thing to go will be muscle because it requires more calories for upkeep than fat. If you're training balls to the wall, your body will realize it needs to keep the LBM in order to keep up with your activities and find alternatives methods to conserve/burn energy, fat.

mattburns
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Holto- you make a good point. I guess I'm being a bit greedy wanting to get fitter in the process and should concentrate on losing fat and retaining muscle.

Cards- Very nicely explained mate. Makes a lot of sense, I am planning to train the same as how I have when bulking and hope that I can not only maintain my strength but keep pushing for PR's. If my Pre/Post workout nutrition is in check I can't see why I shouldn't be able to go at it the same as when I was bulking.

Thanks for the advice lads.