PDA

View Full Version : Best time of the day to lift?

Bang Bang Boom
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
what would you say is the best time of the day to lift weights?

does it matter? i've tried as soon as i get up... i just feel tired soon after.. afternoon... dont wanna move after tea.. im finding the best time to lift is night time.. or maybe im lifting too much?

rbtrout
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
It all depends on you and your schedule. Many workout late afternoon or evening. I've always been an early riser, so working out early am is good for me and fits into my schedule.

ELmx479
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Everyone is different for this one. Depends on your job and other things. I have my best workouts in the evening but it is nice to lift before work so it is out of the way if you have other stuff going on.

Bang Bang Boom
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
yea.. i've tried early pm then i cant be arsed gettin off the sofa, tried afternoon and im the same. to be doin a session after tea then relax the muscles is probably best for me i think

Tom Mutaffis
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I read somewhere that your hormone levels are at their highest when you first wake up and then again about 12 hours later. Coincidentally this is also when gyms are the busiest (before and after work for most people).

With that said, as long as you train around the same time each day your body will eventually adapt.

Kenny Croxdale
05-21-2009, 09:37 AM
what would you say is the best time of the day to lift weights?

does it matter? i've tried as soon as i get up... i just feel tired soon after.. afternoon... dont wanna move after tea.. im finding the best time to lift is night time.. or maybe im lifting too much?

Bang,

You best workout are when your body temperature is elevated. That in part has to do with Circadian Rthym.

Circadian Rthym has to do with fluctions in your body temperature. There is an ebb and flow with your body temperature. That meaning that your body temperature goes up and down slightly during a 24 hour day.

Research indicates that when your body temperature is slightly elevated during the cycle, you perform you best.

One simple method of plotting when you body temperature is at it highest and lowest, it to take you temperature about ever two hours.

However, doing that is going to tell you what you already know. There are certain times during the day when you feel you best and you know what those times are.

So if the best time to workout for you is night time, workout then.

Kenny Croxdale

d0rkyd00d
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
To me, the best time of day to work out is the time when you know you're going to do it on a consistent basis.

For a long time, I failed at getting into a good routine because I tried getting up early to do it, and my desire to continue sleeping shut out my desire to lift.

You have to set yourself up for success, so just set a time that's easiest.

Bang Bang Boom
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
thanks for all the replies. i think evening time 2-3 hours after my tea will be best for me. i suppose its a case of tria and error at first trying to figure whats best for me

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah... try different times and work around your schedule and see what works best for you. Listen to your body. There are times when I can only go to workout at 11 at night (24 hour type gym) and I remember one Christmas morning I had to go work out because that day just happened to fall on my workout day... I was the only one in the gym... :p

Songsangnim
05-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah... try different times and work around your schedule and see what works best for you. Listen to your body. There are times when I can only go to workout at 11 at night (24 hour type gym) and I remember one Christmas morning I had to go work out because that day just happened to fall on my workout day... I was the only one in the gym... :p

I get so envious when I see that...my gym closes at 9:00 PM on weekdays, closed at 6 PM on Saturdays...and closed on Sundays.:whiner:

icnelly
05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I get so envious when I see that...my gym closes at 9:00 PM on weekdays, closed at 6 PM on Saturdays...and closed on Sundays.:whiner:

I never ran into gyms closed on Sunday or with screwy hours till I came to Korea. I've finally found a decent one (it's business model is to provide a Western style gym) that's open on Saturdays and Sundays and with decent hours.

dumbbell
05-22-2009, 12:13 AM
To me, the best time of day to work out is the time when you know you're going to do it on a consistent basis.

I agree with this. Whatever works for your schedule and body.

From my experience, when my work schedule is normal, I lift after work. When my schedule gets insane (12-16 hr days 6-7 days a week can be the "norm") I get up early and lift before work. I currently have the luxury of being unemployed and my gym is at home so I can lift whenever I want. I usually end up lifting between 2-4 pm now. The heat will also affect my lifting schedule (no ac in the garage). When the afternoons are too hot I'll lift earlier or later. It's all the same to me. It would seem that motivation plays a bigger role than "perfect" timing. Especially on those 16 hr work days, let me tell ya.

Bang Bang Boom
05-22-2009, 03:38 AM
How long do you's normally lift for and do you do 7 out of 7 days?

fit2fight
05-22-2009, 03:48 AM
I think the best time to lift is the starting is the starting of the day.Its early morning.If you lift in early morning it will much benefit you.

JRider23
05-22-2009, 04:18 AM
the best time to workout is whenever it fits into your schedule... if you are a really busy guy later in the afternoon and on into the night, you should probably try to get your routine in early. if you are really busy first thing in the morning with workout, school, or whatever you have, you should probably try to get your routine in later in the day if time permits, but if not waking up a little early to go to the gym is also a good idea.

Rip.66.
05-22-2009, 06:00 AM
i think the best time is evening. Not too late like 9..but around 630-7. I usually go evenings in the warmer months (I'm in Maine) since if it is too hot I shut down. In the cold winter months I hit it at 430 A.M before school, just because I like to feel like I'm a trooper or something. If you want to lift in the morning you have to get up a couple hours early, eat some food and then sleep until you want to lift. Like a mid-night snack. If you lift in the morning w/o food you'll be weaker, seems how you probably havent eaten for 10+ hours.

dumbbell
05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
How long do you's normally lift for and do you do 7 out of 7 days?

I lift for about an hour, usually. And, yes, I do work 7 days a week, week after week, at times. :whiner:

Bang Bang Boom
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM
do u all use a gym or weights at home?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-23-2009, 04:35 AM
It's a closed off gym that you can only enter by using a membership key card that unlocks the door. They have no liability for anything when staff aren't there as every poster on the wall says "don't **** up, you're responsible for your own stupidity", basically. The only night time security they have when staff aren't there is these electronic devices you hang around your neck and when you press the button, cops will arrive immediately. A little odd.

Runty
05-23-2009, 02:54 PM
It's a closed off gym that you can only enter by using a membership key card that unlocks the door. They have no liability for anything when staff aren't there as every poster on the wall says "don't **** up, you're responsible for your own stupidity", basically. The only night time security they have when staff aren't there is these electronic devices you hang around your neck and when you press the button, cops will arrive immediately. A little odd.

Wish I knew of one of these gyms around my area. Would be nice and peaceful and probably not much waiting around for equipment. I'd imagine those electronic things are for people benching that might get pinned or something. Better than dying, no? Like old people's 'life alert' now that i think about it, hah.