PDA

View Full Version : You never know who youll meet

BFGUITAR
05-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I was at the gym and talking to one of the older PLer's friends and this one guy I was talking to was disgustingly strong. I asked him if he does PLing or such (it was his second time using a bench shirt when I saw him so I wasn't sure). He told me he competes in highland games and such. I am not sure you guys are familiar with that but his name is Harry McDonald. He told me he was the 10 time Canadian champ and the North American champ a few times. I never realized who I was lifting with! It was quite comical to have him bench right in front of me at the same time... benching twice what I was doing and making it look like nothing.

As well, I already see myself getting stronger. What would have been hard to rep out once 2-3 weeks ago I can now rep out 3-4 times. Gotta love it!

Tom Mutaffis
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
That is funny. You never know who you'll run into at the gym - I have seen a lot of IFBB Pro's, high level Powerlifters, and other athletes.

WillNoble
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM
I have seen a lot of IFBB Pro's

I hear that, I was on vacation one year and walked into a gym and saw Nasser el Sonbaty that guy was scary big. My buddy in Vegas says he see's Cutler at the gym pretty regularly.

AJL11
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I thought I saw Ben Moore at the gym once, but I must have been hallucinating...He does not train with us common folk.....

Tom Mutaffis
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I hear that, I was on vacation one year and walked into a gym and saw Nasser el Sonbaty that guy was scary big. My buddy in Vegas says he see's Cutler at the gym pretty regularly.

Yeah, Paul Baker used to train at the Gold's in Pompano Beach, FL and he was a monster of a man. Guy looked to be close to 300 lbs and very lean. I also saw Dareem Charles down in South Florida but his overall size was not as impressive - just very well proportioned and muscular.

Used to train with Jason Arntz sometimes in New Jersey and he was very strong. I remember one day he was doing seated military press with 150's for a few reps with good form. Chris Cormier and Matt Duval both came in to visit a couple of times and train, both of them were also rediculously muscular.

WillNoble
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I thought I saw Ben Moore at the gym once, but I must have been hallucinating...He does not train with us common folk.....

No he's too much of an elitist. He and Brad drive up to Omaha every day to train to get away from us bums

Jesse Hernandez
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
One of my coaches for powerlifting is Whit Baskin....maybe a few strongman have heard of him.

Ben Moore
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
One of my coaches for powerlifting is Whit Baskin....maybe a few strongman have heard of him.

Absolutely - how is Whit?

Tom Mutaffis
05-21-2009, 01:01 PM

I had never heard of him but a quick search brought up this page...

http://samson-power.com/whit_baskin.htm

Glad to hear that he has recovered and is still involved with strength sports.

(Here is another profile on him: http://samson-power.com/WSL/Whit_Baskin/)

Saw some posts that he competed in a couple of contests about two years ago as a LW but was battling some injuries.

Jesse Hernandez
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Absolutely - how is Whit?

Whit is doing pretty good, he lives in Denton, and goes to school at North Texas, he helps me whenever he can. He went to Collegiates with me in march and coached me to a 3rd place finish and All American status, he keeps trying to goad me into the darkside (Strongman) he hes still huge. about 220lbs with a 6pack and huge arms. Still working out. Improving everyday really. Im sure he'd be glad to hear from you if he knew you before.

Ben Moore
05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Whit is doing pretty good, he lives in Denton, and goes to school at North Texas, he helps me whenever he can. He went to Collegiates with me in march and coached me to a 3rd place finish and All American status, he keeps trying to goad me into the darkside (Strongman) he hes still huge. about 220lbs with a 6pack and huge arms. Still working out. Improving everyday really. Im sure he'd be glad to hear from you if he knew you before.

That's crazy - I went to high school in Justin, Texas and had a lot of friends who ended up at UNT.

Whit and I knew each other in passing, but I'm not sure he would remember me.

Jesse Hernandez
05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
That's crazy - I went to high school in Justin, Texas and had a lot of friends who ended up at UNT.

Whit and I knew each other in passing, but I'm not sure he would remember me.

Its a small world. I lived in columbia for 2 years while I played football for Mizzou. So I know KC a little bit.

Clifford Gillmore
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Yar, I've had a few BB customers over the years - one football player, my gym houses a lot of guys with CAPO records. Its a tiny world.

Detard
05-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Joe Peacock anyone? I think he competed raw (about 45 years old now). He was my old boss. Still squats 500+ for reps RAW.

Clint Harwood? 800+lb bencher

=Travis=
05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Its a small world. I lived in columbia for 2 years while I played football for Mizzou. So I know KC a little bit.

I lived there for 6 years (4 in school at Mizzou) prior to moving to KC

Jesse Hernandez
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I lived there for 6 years (4 in school at Mizzou) prior to moving to KC

Its a really nice place to live, the school isnt bad either. Glad I went there, and glad I left at the same time. Had my first USAPL meet in some town called Cape something....met a lot of good people. Putt Houston,Rick Fowler,Jim Bell, Chuck Trosper, Harold Gaines and alot of others.

Cards
05-22-2009, 12:32 AM
i recently applied for a job at a local fitness center and Don Alessi (wrote some articles for t-nation and competed a few times i believe) was the person who interviewed me.

-JM-
05-22-2009, 03:56 AM
I live in the same town as Glenn Ross. He had a strongman training compound adjacent to the gym I go to so I used to see him coming and going regularly. He trained in my gym (once as a publicty/promotion type gig) and bent the **** out of the oly bar. He replaced it a few days later!

On easter sunday, I went to watch a novice strongman comp in the middle of town. Ross was the compere. This guy is HUGE. Dude is/was 440lbs!!!
http://www.pcts.ie/Uk%20Strongman4.jpg

Kray-z
05-22-2009, 08:15 AM
True story, I worked out in Gold's in Venice once while Jean Claude Van Damme was there. He had an entourage of girls with him while he worked his biceps. It was truly inspiring.