PDA

View Full Version : Advanced powerlifters with Scoliosis

Chase Randall
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I have a mild case of Scoliosis, (11 curvature) and I was curious if anybody here on the boards knows of some 'Advanced' lifters with Scoliosis? I haven't had any trouble Squatting or doing any other exercises in the gym really, but it'd be nice to speak to, or at least admire, somebody in the same boat as myself.

Kastro
05-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Lamar Grant pulled ~725 with severe scoliosis.

BigTallOx
05-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Well, I'm not and advanced lifter, but I have scoliosis. I don't remember exactly the degree of curvature, but back when I was 17 or 18 the doctors said i'd be about 1.5" taller without the scoliosis. Before I started powerlifting, my lower back used to bother me a lot, for years, nothing extreme but it was a dull pain that was always there. That's completely gone now, and I attribute it to powerlifting, specifically doing squats and deads.

Chase Randall
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, I'm not and advanced lifter, but I have scoliosis. I don't remember exactly the degree of curvature, but back when I was 17 or 18 the doctors said i'd be about 1.5" taller without the scoliosis. Before I started powerlifting, my lower back used to bother me a lot, for years, nothing extreme but it was a dull pain that was always there. That's completely gone now, and I attribute it to powerlifting, specifically doing squats and deads.

Thank you! This is very uplifting. I've had tons of problems with pain, etc. due to having Scoliosis, and ever since I started doing Squats I've noticed the pain decreasing drastically. Do you ever have problems in the hole because of the curvature of your spine? Does it force you to lean one way or the other? Any points from someone who's already been there sounds great..

huskybear
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Harry Selkow who had a lifter with severe Scoliosis and he posted up some tips and progression that the lifter had... thought it was a woman he was training... check that out over at elitefts too!

BigTallOx
05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Do you ever have problems in the hole because of the curvature of your spine? Does it force you to lean one way or the other?

I don't really notice it when I squat, but when I look closely at some of my videos I can see it. But then again, anybody can be not centered exactly, so maybe I'm just seeing that and (incorrectly) thinking is my scoliosis. Sometimes the curvature of my spine causes my hips to get out of alignment, and that really affects my squats and deads, but I've found a good chiropractor who knows exactly ( and instantly ) how to get my hips aligned again.

Any points from someone who's already been there sounds great..

I don't know that I have any points, I don't train differently than anybody else. I'm glad that I didn't listen to people who say deads and squats are bad for your back. For me the opposite is true, ie not doing deads and squats was bad for my back.