PDA

View Full Version : Help with meal plan/grocery list that has shown results to work

brettmartin
05-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Hey everyone, I am 22, 6'1", 182 lbs. I don't eat great and I really want to get more muscle while cutting out on fat. I just bought ON Whey Protein and I also take Animal Pump and M-Stak.

Can someone please post a meal plan and grocery list that has shown to seriously work? Unfortunately, I became a vegetarian a month ago but I will eat fish for this. If I need to eat meat then I will...

I promise to stick to this and it won't be a waste of your time. I don't want to spend to much money though at the grocery list because I am on my own this summer.

icnelly
05-22-2009, 06:43 AM
As for what to eat try this thread, What A Bodybuilder Eats (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565), and also read up on this one, The Workout Window (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61836).

I can only talk from my experience, but I've been working at a deficit (cutting fat) for a long time, and it's very hard to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time; it seems to be one and then the other.

icnelly
05-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Besides the grocery list above, I've used this site extensively for learning about "healthy" foods: WHfoods--The World's Healthiest Foods (http://whFoods.org/foodstoc.php).

As for the meal plan; it's better to fit it to you. Check the AHA's fat translator (http://www.myfatstranslator.com/)for a quick way to gauge calories, and then plot out a food course and try it for 10 days.

VikingWarlord
05-23-2009, 08:14 AM
What exactly do you mean by "shown results to work"? If you're expecting there's going to be a magic diet that'll solve your problems, you're in for some disappointment.

Gaining muscle is a VERY simple equation. Eat big + lift big = get big. If you start gaining more fat than you like, eat a little less and keep lifting hard. You won't be gaining muscle and cutting fat unless you choose to use a recomp plan and that's only good if you have a lot of time and patience.

brettmartin
05-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I just really would appreciate it if someone would post their meal plan that has worked for them. That way I can just go to the grocery store and buy those items straight up. I don't care about being a vegetarian anymore. I have done my research.

I workout on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 5:15.

DBlewett
05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I think your best course of action is not to buy individual, specific foods that have worked for others, but rather to come to understand what qualities you are looking for in grocery store foods.

In general, anything without a label on it (vegetables, fruit, nuts, meat) are things you can eat anytime without too much regulation.

As far as more processed foods, you should learn to read nutrition labels. Anything with more than 5 grams of sugar that does not come straight from a fruit source (i.e. cereal with dried unsweetened blueberries) should not be bought. Foods should have less than 3 grams of fat, under 200 mg of sodium, hopefully some protein (depending on the type of food) and 1 gram of fiber per every 10 grams of carbs. Any food fitting this description is probably OK to add to your diet.

The above foods will be more in the line of carb sources, so then you should round out your meals with lean meats and healthy fats from outside sources, like fish, flax, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, and occasional saturated fats from your meat or dairy sources. Any dairy should be low or non-fat.

Food is too personal for you to just buy what someone else buys. Find what foods appeal to you and make you happy, while moving you toward your goals. Assemble your meals in whatever proportion is best suited for your body type. I can handle tons of carbs no problem, but others process fats better than carbs and would be better suited for a more high fat/low carb diet than I. Figure out what you are. 50-60% carbs 30% protein 10-20% fat works for me and I stay lean on that. For others it varies.

But if you eat vegetables and lean protein at every meal and get your carbs from vegetable, fruit and low-density whole grain sources, and get healthy fats in each meal, you will do fine without the headaches of counting calories, carbs, whatever. Omit the sugar and keep the whole foods coming. Hope that helps.

TheGMan
05-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Just to give you an idea this is what i eat, it varied each week but i stick to the same sorts of food, it can be boring sometimes so i add a bit of cheese and make sure i keep on training 4 times a week (i also run at least 2 miles every day - Unless i cant be arsed on a sunday) I am sure people will say this is a crap diet but i like it and you want examples so here goes. To make it easier i have breakfast, a snack, luncg, snack, dinner, snack so ill write them out and just put a / inbetween the meals to save duplicating!

Monday - 2 egg whites, 1 piece of brown toast / fruit / chicken breast and veg/ protein shake for snack / fish and brown rice or fish and salad / falpjacks - home made for last snack

Tuesday - Bacon, egg whites, cheese omelette/ fruit / Sandwich, 3 brown bread with ham or turkey and salad - go ahead bar / Protein shake . Steak and jacket potato / Glass of milk

Wedneasday Same as Monday but for tea i will have rice and chicken

Thursday - Cereal / Fruit / Fish and salad / Protein steak / Steak and veg / Tin of Tuna

Friday - Egg whites / Fruit / Tin of tuna and brown rice / Protein shake / Anything for dinner / Glass of milk

Saturday - Anything as long as it fits in

Sunday - 2 poached eggs on toast/ Fruit / Chicken breast / Protein shake / Prob sunday dinner / Milk

Where i can i will add tins of tuna as it is cheap and great for protein, i tend to keep fruit on every day because i like it and i will up my veg intake so i am eating a lot of green veg, if you get boared change it round, i see it as a lifestyle change and not a diet because on saturday if i want pizza or burger king or whatever i have it, i dont hold up and just keep on lifting!!

Hope this helps dude

VikingWarlord
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
I think your best course of action is not to buy individual, specific foods that have worked for others, but rather to come to understand what qualities you are looking for in grocery store foods.

In general, anything without a label on it (vegetables, fruit, nuts, meat) are things you can eat anytime without too much regulation.

As far as more processed foods, you should learn to read nutrition labels. Anything with more than 5 grams of sugar that does not come straight from a fruit source (i.e. cereal with dried unsweetened blueberries) should not be bought. Foods should have less than 3 grams of fat, under 200 mg of sodium, hopefully some protein (depending on the type of food) and 1 gram of fiber per every 10 grams of carbs. Any food fitting this description is probably OK to add to your diet.

The above foods will be more in the line of carb sources, so then you should round out your meals with lean meats and healthy fats from outside sources, like fish, flax, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, and occasional saturated fats from your meat or dairy sources. Any dairy should be low or non-fat.

Food is too personal for you to just buy what someone else buys. Find what foods appeal to you and make you happy, while moving you toward your goals. Assemble your meals in whatever proportion is best suited for your body type. I can handle tons of carbs no problem, but others process fats better than carbs and would be better suited for a more high fat/low carb diet than I. Figure out what you are. 50-60% carbs 30% protein 10-20% fat works for me and I stay lean on that. For others it varies.

But if you eat vegetables and lean protein at every meal and get your carbs from vegetable, fruit and low-density whole grain sources, and get healthy fats in each meal, you will do fine without the headaches of counting calories, carbs, whatever. Omit the sugar and keep the whole foods coming. Hope that helps.

Well said, except for the parts about 3g of fat and 5g of sugar.

If you're too lazy to even learn how to build a diet, you won't be sticking with a serious plan for any length of time. Why should we help someone who isn't willing to help himself?

J.C.
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
If you're too lazy to even learn how to build a diet, you won't be sticking with a serious plan for any length of time. Why should we help someone who isn't willing to help himself?

Well it could be helpful to give him a start. Then he can go work from that template.

Read the threads already linked to and read this: http://stronglifts.com/nutrition-101-definite-beginner-guide-healthy-nutrition/

This post has a vegetarian diet: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-get-your-daily-protein-when-youre-vegetarian-or-vegan/

vdizenzo
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Here's mine

Meal 1
2 eggs, one half lowfat hamsteak (about 3.5 ozs), and two slices of 100% whole wheat bread with Smart Balance spread

Meal 2
2.5 scoops Nitrean with skim milk and water, 5 ALN fish oil caps, oatmeal

Meal 3
12 oz of either lean ground beef, chicken, or steak with either 1.5-2 cups of rice or 1.5 potatoes, and a serving of veggies.

Meal 4
2.5 scoops Nitrean with skim milk and water, fresh fruit with 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

Meal 5
12 oz of either lean ground beef, chicken, or steak with either 1.5-2 cups of rice or 1.5 potatoes, and a serving of veggies.

Meal 6
2.5 scoops Nitrean with skim milk and water, 5 ALN fish oil caps

Meal 7
Trioplex choc chip protein cookies and a glass of skim milk

*That's on non training days. I have an additional 150 grams of carbs on training days.

ctwice23
05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
foods that work, are you listening
1. Milk
2. Chicken Breast
3. Tuna
4. Fish ( i love frozen market pantry tilapia filets)
5. Brown Rice
6. Sweet Potato
7. Oats
8. Nuts (almonds, peanuts, i love hulled sunflower seeds)
9. Oils ( olive oil, etc.)
10. Peanut butter
11. Apple, Banana, Orange, Cantaloupe

thats all you have to buy my friend, well thats all i eat and it works great

joey54
05-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Here is a sample day for me. Take from it what you will.

Meal 1- 4 whole eggs + some liquid egg whites. 2 cups(uncooked) of oatmeal. Green Tea
Meal 2- 12 oz of burger mixed with black beans. Maybe some fruit. Green Tea
Meal 3- 1 cup each of lentils and brown rice(measured before cooked). Green Tea
Meal 4- 12 oz of chicken breast. Some type of vegetable.Maybe some fruit. Green Tea
Meal 5- I count this all as one meal
Pre Workout- Buzzsaw
During Workout- 2 scoops of powdered gatorade
PostWorkout-80-100 gms of Dextrose. 10 gms of creatine. 10 gms glutamine(I got a free jug of it guys). Scoop of BCAA's
Get home and drink a 60 gm protein shake
Meal 6-1 hour later. 12 oz steak. More veggies. Green Tea
Meal 7- 12 oz of turkey burger or a large can of chicken breast or another protein shake. A few swigs of olive oil.

VikingWarlord
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Well it could be helpful to give him a start. Then he can go work from that template.

I tried that. By asking for more information in the first post, he just blew right by it and instead wanted someone else to just do the work for him.