PDA

View Full Version : PL Comp.

Fighter_15
05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I want to get into a powerlifting competition. The competition is in July and is the closest one I could find. However, people are allowed to use powerlifting suits and I don't have nor know how to use them. Where can I get a bench shirt for cheap? Squat/DL Shorts? How do I learn how to use them?

Or, should I just do it all raw since it's only my first competition?

Lones Green
05-22-2009, 01:18 PM
I want to get into a powerlifting competition. The competition is in July and is the closest one I could find. However, people are allowed to use powerlifting suits and I don't have nor know how to use them. Where can I get a bench shirt for cheap? Squat/DL Shorts? How do I learn how to use them?

Or, should I just do it all raw since it's only my first competition?

Slow down. Do it raw. Adding a shirt and a squat suit 2 months before a meet is going to pretty much be self - destructive, for a lack of a better word.

You need to find a gym with experienced powerlifters to help you with the gear. Browse the internet, search this board, and ask anyone about gear. Take it slow and learn proper form before you jump into a meet geared.

Don't worry about beating anyone but yourself.

Brian C
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Slow down. Do it raw. Adding a shirt and a squat suit 2 months before a meet is going to pretty much be self - destructive, for a lack of a better word.

You need to find a gym with experienced powerlifters to help you with the gear. Browse the internet, search this board, and ask anyone about gear. Take it slow and learn proper form before you jump into a meet geared.

Peace. Thats about it

CleverName
05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, do it raw!! Find a powerlifting gym nearby on this site if you can:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

ct67_72
05-22-2009, 05:17 PM
where are you from?

Fighter_15
05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Michigan

Fighter_15
05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I probably won't be able to find a gym nearby. The closest one I know of is about an hour away which sucks.

Lones Green
05-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I probably won't be able to find a gym nearby. The closest one I know of is about an hour away which sucks.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I drive 6 hours round trip every other week to get to one.

jbrin0tk
05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way. I drive 6 hours round trip every other week to get to one.

Very true.

Fighter_15
05-23-2009, 06:18 AM

I give you credit. You must be pretty dedicated. I could go to one of those gyms then just not everyday. That's a good idea.

mikesbench
05-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah, if you can find peole to lft with; even an hour away it's worth it. I drive an hour+ to squat with people; and about 45 minutes to bench with a different group.

GHOGH
05-23-2009, 07:04 AM
This monday I am starting my monthly commute to my dad's gym which is 2hrs. I will be benching with BPM Osgood and probably Danforth. 2 great guys.

Jesse Hernandez
05-23-2009, 01:57 PM

I disagree. If there are people around him that know what there doing, he'll be fine. I did it, and benched 413 my first time. Which was a 60lb pr! It can be done. Just gotta have good people around you.

Fighter_15
05-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering what is a good starter bench shirt if I were to buy one. Also are squat/deadlift shorts the same thing? As is I would only have to buy one and it would work for both?

Sean Hatley
05-23-2009, 06:32 PM

There is nothing wrong with that. I live 40 minutes away from where i train. We have one guy who lives 2 hours away and he shows up for squat and bench days. Just cause you have to drive a little ways doesn't mean its out of the question.

Jesse Hernandez
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm wondering what is a good starter bench shirt if I were to buy one. Also are squat/deadlift shorts the same thing? As is I would only have to buy one and it would work for both?

HD Blast from Inzernet.com Shirt

You can use a squat suit as your deadlift suit aswell. Try a Zsuit from Inzer aswell. Make sure you ask questions when your training with them though, otherwise it will do no good to buy them.

Ripe1
05-24-2009, 05:15 AM

First you need to tell us your lifting styles. Are you a wide/narrow stance squatter, bench with/without an arch, deadlift sumo or conventional? And then we can continue.

Lones Green
05-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I disagree. If there are people around him that know what there doing, he'll be fine. I did it, and benched 413 my first time. Which was a 60lb pr! It can be done. Just gotta have good people around you.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but the guy doesn't have people around him who know what they're doing.

I'm sure theres a freak out there who put a suit on and squatted perfect the first time, but you won't see that much. It takes most of us years to perfect form

Jesse Hernandez
05-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm not saying it can't be done, but the guy doesn't have people around him who know what they're doing.

I'm sure theres a freak out there who put a suit on and squatted perfect the first time, but you won't see that much. It takes most of us years to perfect form

Good point.:whip:

Fighter_15
05-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I think I might just compete raw for the first one. Then, I will join a gym or somehow find out how to use the shirt and suit the right way and then start competing using the gear.

Fighter_15
05-24-2009, 04:27 PM
HD Blast from Inzernet.com Shirt

You can use a squat suit as your deadlift suit aswell. Try a Zsuit from Inzer aswell. Make sure you ask questions when your training with them though, otherwise it will do no good to buy them.

Thanks, I'll check those out. This is probably a dumb question but how do I know which size to get?

First you need to tell us your lifting styles. Are you a wide/narrow stance squatter, bench with/without an arch, deadlift sumo or conventional? And then we can continue.

I'm more of a narrow squatter. I deadlift conventional.

Jesse Hernandez
05-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I'll check those out. This is probably a dumb question but how do I know which size to get?

I'm more of a narrow squatter. I deadlift conventional.

There is a sizing Chart on the inzernet.com website. Really easy to understand.