PDA

View Full Version : is ripptoes/gaining okay for soccer?

JRider23
05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
i am a soccer player.. im 17 years old/going into my senior year. I weigh about 150 and i am 5'9. I am trying to put on some weight with ripptoes, but also want to incoorporate HIIT into my workout once school ends (June 24th). Soccer starts in Mid-August, but i want to be in shape and ready to play once August comes around because the last 3 years, i haven't trained for **** before soccer and have been out of shape the first 2 weeks.

is doing rippetoes until the end of the year (little over a month) and gaining weight okay? then, i want to keep up the workout (with a little less weight due to the fact i want to try HIIT) while doing HIIT every other day, and taking a break one day a week. How does this sound?

ZenMonkey
05-22-2009, 05:10 PM
I would be fine. I would probably amend his setup a bit to meet your athletic needs. Im an advocate of doing the Clean first rather than last and doing somehting like 5x2 (rather than 5x3-5). Thats probably the only change Id make to SS.

EDIT

I missed the "HIIT everyday" thing. Thats not the best idea, as Jorge says below. I think 2 days of HIIT plus SS will be great. (You could also add in 20-30 mins of steady state cardio after the WO)

Jorge Sanchez
05-22-2009, 05:10 PM
It sounds like a lot. My suggestion would be to give it a shot to see how you respond. If you start to stall, dial back the HIIT a bit.

Mike G
05-22-2009, 06:25 PM
3 days of HIIT and 3 days of SS should be fine. I'm guessing that's what you mean by HIIT every other day, right?

WillNoble
05-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't see a problem with it, I think that's a pretty solid choice for soccer

JRider23
05-23-2009, 07:06 AM
3 days of HIIT and 3 days of SS should be fine. I'm guessing that's what you mean by HIIT every other day, right?

yeah... thanks

one of my friends who is a trainer said it might be a bit draining for me... but i figure as long as i eat right, and get a good amount of rest i should be okay. should i use less weight when i lift so it's not too overwhelming or should i keep going and just see how i do? trial and error is probably the best

Jorge Sanchez
05-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Keep adding weight.

Mike G
05-23-2009, 09:47 AM
With Jorge. Don't lose on the opportunity to get stronger over the summer. Trial and error is the best bet.

samadhi_smiles
05-23-2009, 04:26 PM
when will you do HIIT? Whenever I do a full-on session of HIIT (on the bike) I can't squat as heavy as possible the next day. So, I'd suggest you do it the same day (after your squats). But, thats prioritizing squats. Cuz you want to get strong.

JRider23
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
when will you do HIIT? Whenever I do a full-on session of HIIT (on the bike) I can't squat as heavy as possible the next day. So, I'd suggest you do it the same day (after your squats). But, thats prioritizing squats. Cuz you want to get strong.

well i play soccer so i don't want to gain too much. i would rather be faster with less muscle (but still gain muscle) than not as fast with more muscle (at least during the season).... i am planning on starting HIIT gradually. like increasing how hard the workout is each day so i don't overdo it. That isn't a bad idea after the squats, but i wouldn't mind sacrificing weight in my squat to do HIIT.

Runty
05-24-2009, 02:30 PM
You'll be surprised at what boosting your squat will do for speed. As long as your getting stronger in the squat but not putting on a ton of weight, chances are you'll be able to run faster.

Mike G
05-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Good idea to slowly build with the HIIT. Don't worry about gaining too much before the season, it won't happen unless you are eating too much. I would imagine between SS and HIIT, you won't have to worry about gaining weight. I think you'll be surprised at how beneficial getting stronger will be. If you're running as much as you're planning, the extra muscle won't slow you down. In fact, it should help your speed and burst. Personally, I would make lifting the priority at this point and about a month out from the season focus more on the HIIT, doing both the entire time. Take the next month and a half to build up a base for HIIT while adding as much strength as possible.

JRider23
05-25-2009, 12:49 PM
thanks for the awesome advice guys...... it makes a lot sense to me

for the B Days on rippetoes, would adding clean/press and getting rid of the OH Press be okay?

so it would be like;

3x5 squat
3x5 clean/press
3x5 rows

or would that be a bit draining? or would this be better?

3x5 squat
3x5 clean
3x5 press

i feel like the clean would really help explosiveness and i love the exercise.

killxswitch
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
thanks for the awesome advice guys...... it makes a lot sense to me

for the B Days on rippetoes, would adding clean/press and getting rid of the OH Press be okay?

so it would be like;

3x5 squat
3x5 clean/press
3x5 rows

or would that be a bit draining? or would this be better?

3x5 squat
3x5 clean
3x5 press

i feel like the clean would really help explosiveness and i love the exercise.

I dont' know if you still need an answer here but the SS workout calls for Squat, Press, and Clean on one day, and Squat, Bench, and Deadlift the other day. If you do cleans you are not substituting anything, but rather you are doing the routine the way Rippetoe says to do it. The rows are a suggested replacement for cleans from someone in a message board writeup about SS. These are just cleans, not clean and press or jerk.