PDA

View Full Version : uping calories

rkhan123
05-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi, I'm 17, 5feet 6 , and weigh 132 ounds. I'm trying to bulk up while staying as lean as possible. I've been lifting for three months (6 days a week, 1 hour each day) but have been making very little progress. My coach told me I should eat at least 3000 calories for a clean bulk. I counted how much I usually eat and it only came out to 2200 cals. Should I immediately up my intake to 3000 cals or go a little slower (say 2600)? Also, is it ok to eat a lot of calories (1000+) within three hours before bed (I workout late so that might help.) Thanks!

Southern Beast
05-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Before anyone is rude to you (because they are around these parts), you did post this in the wrong forum. ;) But we have some super nice moderators who will probably politely move it to the correct one for you. Don't let it happen again. ;)

3000 still sounds pretty low for a bulk. If you're only getting 2200, certainly move up to 3000, and work your way up from there. Personally, I keep notes on my weight and a log (many use FitDay.com) to track my food consumption and calories, protein .. all that good stuff. You'll find those things pretty useful in your journey to being a beast.

I eat within 3 hours before bed, but not usually within an hour before bed. Makes my stomach too upset.

blackboard
05-23-2009, 06:05 AM
At 132lb you have plenty room to gain weight without getting fat. Right now I would aim to eat 3000+ along with progression on your lifts. The key will be consistency with calorie intake "every single day". Once you put on about 25lbs
you should have figured out how much to eat for a clean weight gain.

Coke
05-23-2009, 07:37 AM
You owe it to yourself to up the calories the best way you can, even get some weightgainer and/or protein shakes to help out. But experiment with upping the calories and see things for yourself whether you make new gains. At your age, gaining a pound each month on average is a good deal imo.

rkhan123
05-23-2009, 11:22 AM
srry. i'm new to this website. Thx for the quick replies.