PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my budget diet.

FREAKZILLA
05-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I am currently a full-time student, and my money is extremely tight, and when I say extreme, I mean after paying rent, car, and utilities my cash for food is very slim. Before I lost my job I was eating a wide variety of fresh foods and lean proteins, but for now, that meal plan is gone. I am starting a new plan this week and it is a lot of protein shakes (Nitrean & Greens) my doctor told me too much protein supplementation can wreck my kidneys is this true? Here is my diet.

Meal 1 - Oatmeal and protein shake

Meal 2 - Protein shake and apple

Meal 3 - Lean meat and veggies and brown rice or sweet potato

Meal 4 - Protein shake and pear

Meal 5 - (Post-workout shake)

Meal 6 - Lean white meat or fish and green veggies and brown rice or sweet potato

Meal 7 - Protein shake or bar (Im in class)

Meal 8 - Protein shake or bar (leaving Class)

Unreal
05-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Without macros and goals who knows if it is good or bad.

Real food is normally cheaper then suppelments.

blackboard
05-23-2009, 07:59 AM
If your budget is extremely tight I would cut out supplements completely. Instead of buying Protein shakes, spend 20 bucks on a blender. You can mix cheap things like Peanut butter, Milk, etc.

Are you trying to gain , stay the same or lose weight?

VikingWarlord
05-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Protein supplementation will not wreck your kidneys. Most doctors know **** all about nutrition. It's just not something that's covered in med school. That would be why 3 doctors routinely ask me for advice.

At a glance, you have no fat in your diet. This is important whether bulking or cutting. I'll echo the other guys and say that protein shakes are going to be more expensive than real food. Tuna, cottage cheese, peanut butter, chicken, etc is relatively cheap. You're not going to be eating filet but you CAN eat well without spending a lot of money.

There's also no real reason to get 8 "meals" per day. Start selling plasma or something and get thyself to the grocery store!

samadhi_smiles
05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
if you buy whey protein in bulk it actually is much cheaper gram for gram of protein compared to buying beef, milk, etc.

This is assuming 4 dollars a pound for whey and ~3-4 dollars a pound for beef (or 3-4 bucks a gallon for milk). Whey protein is just really cheap source of protein when you buy it in 25lb increments.

samadhi_smiles
05-23-2009, 12:47 PM
OP, I'd add 5-10 grams of fish oil and 10-20g of fat from olive oil at least. You can add the fish oil in morning (has good nootropic smart drugs in it to help cognition) and the olive oil at dinner.

Whats in your 'protein shake' - is that just whey protein or do you got milk and other stuff in there?