PDA

View Full Version : Does speed bench carry over to a shirted bench?

NickAus
05-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Hello Nick here (new member)
Just wanted different peoples opinions on whether speed bench carry's over to a shirted bench?
I ask because my technique on speed bench is different to my shirt bench.
When I do speed bench I press in a straighter line up and down from nipple line but with the shirt I have to lock it out with the bar over my face and touch a bit lower.
Please everyone give your thoughts, thanks!

Preston129
05-23-2009, 05:56 AM
It does for me to the point where if I miss just one speed day I'll notice I'm slower the next time I get into my shirt. The carry over you should get is explosiveness off the chest, which would benefit your press wherever you touch on your chest.

Any reason you don't practice the same form on speed work that you do shirted?

NickAus
05-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Yeah I do try but it does not feel natural and is faster using a raw type bar path.

Travis Bell
05-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Besides the form, what does your speed bench workout look like? As far as sets and reps.

What's your best raw and shirted bench?

The simple answer though is yes, DE bench does transfer over to help your equipped bench

Rob Luyando
05-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I won't be as dificult as Travis. Yes it does. LOL!

NickAus
05-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys.
My best raw is now 350 shirted 470 @ 210.
I do the following on Wednesdays/speed bench:

Speed against mini's or 40lbs chain 9x3
Hanging kettlebell bench 2x15
Triceps light
Shoulders light

I do tons of back on Tuesdays and Heavy bench Sunday night.
This has been working well, was just unsure about the speed bench form.

MarcusWild
05-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Speed bench helps shirted bench. There's a physics reason for it. Remember the shirt helps the most at the start. Then you want to be at max force deployment when the shirt starts to give you less. An object in motion tends to stay in motion.

bencher8
05-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Speed work does carry over to a shirted bench. Its all about force development, the faster you can recruit those muscle fibers the faster you can move the weight...this helps you push through the sticking point.

Bar placement and all that doesnt matter too much. You wanna be somewhat close to your shirt form, elbows slightly tucked, touching slightly below nipple line, but it isnt all important. I had gotten into the habit of touching really low(like shirt form) with my speed work. I went to train with Clay Brandenburg awhile back and he said that I shouldnt train in that groove and to do it higher on my chest. When I went back to that form, my speed picked up some....

NickAus
05-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Thank you that does make sense, I will keep using the same technique I have been using.
Does anyone do any sub max singles on speed day?

Rob Luyando
05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Speed work does carry over to a shirted bench. Its all about force development, the faster you can recruit those muscle fibers the faster you can move the weight...this helps you push through the sticking point.

Bar placement and all that doesnt matter too much. You wanna be somewhat close to your shirt form, elbows slightly tucked, touching slightly below nipple line, but it isnt all important. I had gotten into the habit of touching really low(like shirt form) with my speed work. I went to train with Clay Brandenburg awhile back and he said that I shouldnt train in that groove and to do it higher on my chest. When I went back to that form, my speed picked up some....

I don't always agree with all the crazy **** this guy tries but no arguing Pual's speed is sick so I even take his speed advice.

NickAus
05-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah I have seen him Bench-very explosive!
Thank you everyone for your help, I hope everyone on this forum realizes how lucky we are to have guys at your level giving advice and bouncing idea's off each other!
Best forum.

Kenny Croxdale
05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
It does for me to the point where if I miss just one speed day I'll notice I'm slower the next time I get into my shirt. The carry over you should get is explosiveness off the chest, which would benefit your press wherever you touch on your chest.

Any reason you don't practice the same form on speed work that you do shirted?

Preston,

The bench shirt changes the bar trajectory.

Kenny Croxdale