PDA

View Full Version : belt when raw benching?

roots
05-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey just wondering if its worthwhile to wear a belt when benching raw. would it help give any increase in the lift? Or is it mainly for shirted benchers? thanks

DrDudley-Robey
05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
The belt just holds the shirt in place. No need for one when benching raw.

Lones Green
05-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Try it and see if you like it. I find it helps me keep tight and gives me something to push against. Even if this is all in my head, thats reason enough for me to wear it

Brian C
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Try it and see if you like it. I find it helps me keep tight and gives me something to push against. Even if this is all in my head, thats reason enough for me to wear it

I agree. No real benefit, but I feel more comfortable with it.

GHOGH
05-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, I was having the same battle, I have been lifting without a belt for many years now and have been debating on getting one. I like doing RAW bench and was thinking I needed one, guess I don't REALLY need one after all.

Would it be wise to wear a belt for squatting and Deads (RAW)? Most likely yes but I'll ask anyway.

Travis Bell
05-23-2009, 02:27 PM
The belt just holds the shirt in place. No need for one when benching raw.

I'd disagree here.

Whenever I bench on an ME day without my belt, my lower back is shot.

If you are creating the proper amount of tension in your core, a belt will really save your lower back IMO.

As already stated, being able to push my belly out against the belt very much helps me stay tight

Lones Green
05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, I was having the same battle, I have been lifting without a belt for many years now and have been debating on getting one. I like doing RAW bench and was thinking I needed one, guess I don't REALLY need one after all.

Would it be wise to wear a belt for squatting and Deads (RAW)? Most likely yes but I'll ask anyway.

Yes it would be wise.

danmac
05-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd disagree here.

Whenever I bench on an ME day without my belt, my lower back is shot.

If you are creating the proper amount of tension in your core, a belt will really save your lower back IMO.

As already stated, being able to push my belly out against the belt very much helps me stay tight

Im a shorter guy, like 5'9, and i dont think i have enough torso room for me to get much of an arch with my belt. I have never tried it, i just cant imagine me being able to do much with it.

Travis Bell
05-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm 5'9" as well

Rob Luyando
05-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't feel the need to wear a belt benching raw. I like a narow belt with a shirt on.

danmac
05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm 5'9" as well

Do you wear a full belt or one of those smaller benching belts?

Lones Green
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Do you wear a full belt or one of those smaller benching belts?

Wears a regular belt.

j-KbZC6sMJ0

Brian C
05-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm also 5'9" and wear a regular belt. No problem getting an arch.