PDA

View Full Version : I just went to the grocery store to start eating better

brettmartin
05-24-2009, 10:00 AM
This is the list of items I bought:

Oven-Toasted Quick Oats (1 big can thing)
Minute Instant Whole Grain Brown Rice (2 boxes)
Rice A Roni Long Grain & Wild Rice (2 boxes)
Pepper
Salt
Lowfat Cottage Cheese
Ramen Noodles Oriental Flavor (8 packs)
Butter
Eggs (2 cartons)
Red Potatoes (5 pound bag)
Celery
Cauliflower
Bush's Best Light Red Kidney Beans (1 can)
Bush's Best Black Beans (3 cans)
Bush's Best Pinto Beans (1 can)
Kraft Light Ranch Dressing
Cut Green Beans (2 cans)
Blackeye Peas (1 can)
Whole Grain Whole Wheat Bread
Kellogg's All Bran Original Cereal (1 box)
Pecans (1 bag)
Almonds (1 bag)
Smucker's All Natural Peanut Butter (1 can)
Gallon of Fat Free Milk
Flaxseed Oil Pills (1 can)
Tuna (8 cans)
Salmon (4 cans)
Bananas (6)
Strawberries
Cream of Wheat Enriched Farina (1 box)
Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas (1 bag of 10)
Tomatoes (3)
Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine Lettuce (2 bags)
Broccoli
Apples (4)

So is this good? Will someone please help me put together a food meal plan for these items? I workout on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I run on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

I work at a conference office from 8-5 everyday so I go to the gym at 5:15.

I also have ON Whey Protein already bought. I just forgot to buy a shaker.

icnelly
05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd say repost this list in your other thread and keep it consolidated.

It'll be hard for us to put a food program together without knowing more specifics (calorie intake, goal). Go to the AHA page I linked before and figure out ROUGHLY what your intake should be.

deeder
05-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Pepper
Salt
Lowfat Cottage Cheese
Ramen Noodles Oriental Flavor (8 packs) -- tons of salt, all carbs...
Butter
Eggs (2 cartons)
Celery
Cauliflower
Cut Green Beans (2 cans)
Blackeye Peas (1 can)
Pecans (1 bag)
Almonds (1 bag)
Gallon of Fat Free Milk
Flaxseed Oil Pills (1 can) -- I think the consensus is that fish oil is better
Tuna (8 cans)
Salmon (4 cans)
Bananas (6)
Strawberries
Tomatoes (3)
Broccoli
Apples (4)

So is this good? Will someone please help me put together a food meal plan for these items? I workout on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I run on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

Other than the two comments I put in above I'd say it all looks pretty good! I don't think anyone is going to put together a meal plan for you. If you come back with some rough drafts for your goals I'm sure someone will give you some help ironing out the kinks.

There are some good nutrition articles on this site and believe it or not there are some pretty decent ones over at t-nation. Do some reading, decide what your goals are and I'm sure you can come up with something basic.

Mercuryblade
05-25-2009, 12:02 AM

Pepper
Salt
Lowfat Cottage Cheese
Ramen Noodles Oriental Flavor (8 packs)
Butter
Eggs (2 cartons)
Celery
Cauliflower
Cut Green Beans (2 cans)
Blackeye Peas (1 can)
Pecans (1 bag)
Almonds (1 bag)
Gallon of Fat Free Milk
Flaxseed Oil Pills (1 can)
Tuna (8 cans)
Salmon (4 cans)
Bananas (6)
Strawberries
Tomatoes (3)
Broccoli
Apples (4)

What are your goals?

As far as the ramen goes, if you don't have a pre-existing heart condition, salt is fine, and fit the carbs into your macros.

SuperTerrorizer
05-25-2009, 04:11 AM
What does Farina taste like?

Unreal
05-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Some good choices but the daily macros/calories is what is going to matter. Mix and match what you bought to fit a meal plan setup for your goals.

VikingWarlord
05-25-2009, 10:34 AM
It looks like a whole lot of canned and processed food. Aside from 12 cans of fish and some eggs, you've got no meat on the list. Canned beans are vastly inferior to dry beans in both nutrition and flavor.

Buy more fresh food, less canned food. It's usually cheaper anyway. Buy some friggin' meat next time!

brettmartin
05-25-2009, 05:57 PM
It looks like a whole lot of canned and processed food. Aside from 12 cans of fish and some eggs, you've got no meat on the list. Canned beans are vastly inferior to dry beans in both nutrition and flavor.

Buy more fresh food, less canned food. It's usually cheaper anyway. Buy some friggin' meat next time!

I think you are very much mistaken because I got pretty much this whole list off bodybuilding.com's supersite. OHHHH! Owned...

This is what I ate today:

Breakfast: 3 egg whites, 1 scoops of protein powder in water, oatmeal with strawberries, banana
Mid Morning Snack: Peanut Butter Bread sandwich with handfuls of pecans and almonds
Afternoon: Leftover rice and beans from last night along with some raw broccoli
Mid Afternoon snack: salmon in tortilla wrap and apple
Dinner: Ramen Noodles mixed in with can of tuna, one red potato, salad with tomatoes

Look good?

jp2
05-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I think you are very much mistaken because I got pretty much this whole list off bodybuilding.com's supersite. OHHHH! Owned...

LOL Viking knows his **** man you should listen to him:)

VikingWarlord
05-25-2009, 06:20 PM

Breakfast: 3 egg whites, 1 scoops of protein powder in water, oatmeal with strawberries, banana
Mid Morning Snack: Peanut Butter Bread sandwich with handfuls of pecans and almonds
Dinner: Ramen Noodles mixed in with can of tuna, one red potato, salad with tomatoes

Look good?

Owned? Hardly, fetus. I don't care where that list came from, fresh food will always be superior to canned food in every way. Natural > processed. Ramen = trash.

Like someone said above, your diet can't be judged accurately unless you provide macros. As someone else said, you never told us whether you're bulking, cutting, or recomping.

It also amuses me that you asked for a critique and, when you got one that wasn't what you wanted to hear, you went net-tard. How mature.

Trainwreck
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Why are you asking here if you have BB's super site to base your meal plans off of? Viking gave you pretty much the best advice to set up a real diet that will be both good for you and good for your pocket.

big-large-champ
05-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Look good?

You owned yourself eating that crap, and already got on the bad side of a senior member of the board by acting like a **********.

Girls need more protein than what is in the food selection you posted, you expect to become muscular eating that? And ramen noodles... are you serious? Unless you're a freshman in college and have no regard for your health, or work in a sweatshop for a dollar a day, you should buy better food than ramen. Salad with tomatoes? No dressing? Are you aware dressing has calories? Or are you literally eating iceberg lettuce with some tomato slices?

Mercuryblade
05-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I think you are very much mistaken because I got pretty much this whole list off bodybuilding.com's supersite.

:zipit:

samadhi_smiles
05-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Actually beans have compounds in them that will block protein from being absorbed. They are very poor choices if you are looking for protein.

If you're looking for fiber and gas and mild to poor flavor then beans are GREAT!

VikingWarlord
05-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Actually beans have compounds in them that will block protein from being absorbed. They are very poor choices if you are looking for protein.

If you're looking for fiber and gas and mild to poor flavor then beans are GREAT!

Which compounds are those?

It's entirely possible to prepare beans so they don't cause gas and if they don't taste good it's because you can't cook.

BFGUITAR
05-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Which compounds are those?

It's entirely possible to prepare beans so they don't cause gas and if they don't taste good it's because you can't cook.

Your probably right, but I cant take the risk! Without beans I can power half of New York with my farts.

Jorge Sanchez
05-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I got three quarters of the way through that list thinking you were a vegetarian.

Viking is right, focus your diet on whole, unprocessed foods. Eat more meat and less carbs.

Unreal
05-26-2009, 08:59 AM

Look good?

Who knows without macros.
Breakfast- 1 cup oats? 2 cups? 10 Cups? (calories could range from 300-3000)
Snack- What is a handful. Nuts are immensely calorie dense (120-500 cals)
Afternoon- Same thing, 150 calores or 500 calories?
Same same same same

Without quanities and macros who knows if it decent. It could be 800g of carbs and 50g of protein. Who knows without you measuring the stuff out and telling us what you actually eat. Eating whey and donuts could be a better diet if portions are under control.

Trainwreck
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I am under the impression that he will not come back, and if he does it will be under a new name.

Mr. Mustard
05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
What does Farina taste like?

It's awesome. It is a better tasting oatmeal. My Grandmother used to make it for me all the time when I was a kid. Although at that age I would put a pound of sugar in it so I don't know how good it is without the stuff.