PDA

View Full Version : Interval Questions

Mr. Mustard
05-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Ok, so I have done intervals in the past but I am not entirely sure I have been doing them right. I want to start up again to try and burn the last few excess fat pounds off for the summer but I want to make sure I get the most out of it.

I used to do intervals on the treadmill for a 2 min walk at about 3.4mph. Then I would do an all out sprint for a full minute anywhere from 10mph to 11mph. Then I would walk for 2 minutes and repeat for about 15-20 minutes.

Is that the right way to do it? I have read that it should be a light jog into a sprint back into a light jog. Figure you guys would have a better idea. I need to get cracking especially considering all the **** I've eaten over the holiday weekend.

Also, is it best to do cardio/intervals before weight training or after?

Thanks

KingJustin
05-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Then I would do an all out sprint for a full minute ... [then walk 2 minutes] and repeat for about 15-20 minutes.
Strongly disagree.

This thread asks the same question:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124262

DBlewett
05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. What is important is that your heart rate comes down between work sets. Typically you want your heart rate to return to 140 or below in the rest interval before you work again, but for the untrained this may take a few minutes or more. Do what you're capable of doing.

I favor faster work intervals paired with slower rest intervals (such as sprint walk) over run - jog intervals. Working closer to your max is going to give you more of a training benefit.

Whether or not it will give you the best fat loss is more of a debate, but ultimately if you are working at a high intensity and sticking to it, you are going to get where you want to be. A lot of fitness competitors will all-out sprint on the treadmill and then jump onto the rails for their rest intervals. Any form of interval is going to be effective, so as long as you are working hard, keep at it.

Travis Bell
05-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Since this is in the GPP/Sport section, are you doing this for a certain sport?

My first critique would be to guide you towards a more consistent cardio along with cleaning up your diet rather than hitting up the interval training. I'm just not a big fan of interval training in its purest forms

That said, should you be doing this for a certain sport that may change my opinion