PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Question for Travis

WillNoble
05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Was watching some more recent Louie Footage in which he said:

We Do Extreme workouts every 72 hours, Small workouts every 12 or 24, I workout in the mornings... I always train that night

Is this still done? And if so, what is he doing during the extra workouts? SPP/GPP/????

Travis Bell
05-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah just about everyone does this. AJ, Greg, Luke, Tony Bologne all do them.

AJ and Tony come in at night and Greg does them at the gym he works at. Luke, I'm not sure where he does his other stuff

But mostly it is just sled dragging, prowler pushes for the SPP/GPP stuff, along with some light tricep stuff or light DB bench work

I've noticed the guys who put in their extra work consistently hit more PRs and bigger ones, as well as being more recovered from their workouts

WillNoble
05-24-2009, 09:45 PM

AJ and Tony come in at night and Greg does them at the gym he works at. Luke, I'm not sure where he does his other stuff

But mostly it is just sled dragging, prowler pushes for the SPP/GPP stuff, along with some light tricep stuff or light DB bench work

I've noticed the guys who put in their extra work consistently hit more PRs and bigger ones, as well as being more recovered from their workouts

I guess its time I "liberate" my prowler from 1-0-7 lol

Bob
05-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Travis - does any kind of small workout work? Like rehab or playing sports with the kids?
With work, family, etc.. the 2nd workouts are tough to get in.. especially without much of a home training area...
But, I've got some light DBs/KBs to do overheads & swings, kids who run or play volleyball, foam roller.. and a 100 lb beerkeg to carry around...

slashkills
05-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Ive noticed just being active and not sitting watching tv really helps my recovery. However im still lifting pretty low numbers so recovery isnt a major concern yet.

Brad08
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM

More info?

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Travis - does any kind of small workout work? Like rehab or playing sports with the kids?
With work, family, etc.. the 2nd workouts are tough to get in.. especially without much of a home training area...
But, I've got some light DBs/KBs to do overheads & swings, kids who run or play volleyball, foam roller.. and a 100 lb beerkeg to carry around...

the keg carry would be good, so would the KB swings and some light DB work.

I guess it just depends on how long you are playing sports with your kids and the level of intensity for it to count or not, but I'd probably still throw something else in there for good measure.

More info?

On what the guys at the gym do? or more info on guys being recovered for their workouts and hitting more consistent PRs?

Reko
05-26-2009, 09:51 AM
On what the guys at the gym do? or more info on guys being recovered for their workouts and hitting more consistent PRs?

Yes. :)
More of the first for me though.

Brad08
05-26-2009, 10:31 AM
On what the guys at the gym do?

Yeah, just more info on what the guys do, exercise wise, volume wise, etc. Is it planned out, trained progressively? Or just kinda haphazard. Or maybe it doesn't really matter as long as you're getting some work in? LoL

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, just more info on what the guys do, exercise wise, volume wise, etc. Is it planned out, trained progressively? Or just kinda haphazard. Or maybe it doesn't really matter as long as you're getting some work in? LoL

Yeah this kinda stuff can be over thought very easily. No it is not progressive.

It's sole purpose is to increase blood flow, rehab the muscles etc.

It's about 30min med-high intensity. No longer than 30min. You'll be surprised how much better you feel. Well, you'll feel like crap after the 30min, but the following day you'll feel extremely well.

Reko
05-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah this kinda stuff can be over thought very easily. No it is not progressive.

It's sole purpose is to increase blood flow, rehab the muscles etc.

It's about 30min med-high intensity. No longer than 30min. You'll be surprised how much better you feel. Well, you'll feel like crap after the 30min, but the following day you'll feel extremely well.

So something simple like lighter sled work, complexes, etc?

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes. :)
More of the first for me though.

I've gotten more into tire flips myself, as well as just regular ol' cardio on the eliptical.

Sled drags, prowler pushes are a mainstay, but dimmel deads are common, as well as high rep DB benching.

The reason you want to do the sled or prowler or tire flips or whatever is because even though it is just to get the blood moving, it does need to be somewhat specific for it to be completely effective. So, this is why I don't just do cardio every day.

You can mix it up, tire flips or prowler pushes the day after ME bench, sled drags (or prowler again I guess LOL) after ME squat, dimmel deads and light tricep pressdowns (high reps) after DE bench and then cardio after DE squat.

Use your imagination, but be consistent. It's difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, the benefits are well worth it.

jbrin0tk
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for this info, Travis.