PDA

View Full Version : Please talk some sense into my buddy..

BLewis
05-25-2009, 01:15 AM
So a coworker of mine has been losing quite a bit of weight over the last several months. About 110lbs., to be exact. I've been trying to get my diet right so I asked him what his diet was like. This is what he wrote:

Monday - Friday

Meal 1: Myoplex shake
Meal 2: Pure Protein Brand protein bar
Meal 3: Myoplex shake
Meal 4: Normal meal around 300 calories
Meal 5: Pure Protein Brand protein bar
Meal 6: Myoplex shake
Meal 7: Normal meal around 300 calories

Weekends eat whatever.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't exactly seem healthy to live basically on almost nothing but protein shakes/bars and 2 300 calorie meals 5 days a week. I mean, it obviously helped him to lose weight. But there has to be some consequences to eating like this. Am I right? What is he doing to his body?

big-dipper
05-25-2009, 01:21 AM
its not proper food its just bars n shakes

BLewis
05-25-2009, 01:27 AM
I understand that. That's what I'm trying to tell him. You can't live off that stuff alone. But he sees that he lost all this weight by eating this, so therefore he thinks it's a good diet. What is this doing to his body?

big-dipper
05-25-2009, 01:52 AM
i dont have a clue wat hes doin to his body but i would of thought its not good tho because he aint getting the proper nutriants or fats or watever but i dunno

tom183
05-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Define 'normal meal around 300 calories'.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-25-2009, 04:49 AM
There are no normal 300 calorie meals. That's like half a sandwich. His diet I'm guessing is severely lacking in nutrients and variety. Protein, protein, protein, extremely tiny meal, protein, protein, extremely tiny meal. It's great he lost weight, but he needs to steer toward a healthier diet.

jp2
05-25-2009, 04:59 AM
I think he needs to drop those protein bars and just eat some fruits and veggies instead

Travis Bell
05-25-2009, 05:41 AM
The only consequences will be losing a ton of money and he'll put the weight back on as soon as he quits buying that stuff because he didn't learn how to set up a proper diet

Junin
05-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Ask him if this diet will continue once he reaches his goal weight. If the answer is yes, maybe he should diversify his food selection some. If the answer is no, don't worry about him.

If he's supplementing vitamins and minerals, it shouldn't be dangerous to his health in the short run.

VikingWarlord
05-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Lesson 1: You can't help someone that doesn't want your help.

Think about it. Let him learn his own lessons.

J.C.
05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd just get him to start eating some more fruit and vegetables. Its a fairly easy change to make and will start easing him back into a healthy diet. He knows deep down that he should be eating whole foods so hopefully he'll come round to it eventually. He definitely needs more fibre.

Skalami
05-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah... but if its his thing just quickly give him the info you've got and let him be.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
He didn't ask for your help anyway... so just let him learn his own lessons. You can lend him some advice if you want, but he never asked you to go out of your way for this.

malkore
05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
That diet has no fiber. I bet your buddy cannot fart in public because 99% of the time he sharts and has to change his pants.

Ask your buddy how much muscle mass was lost. Losing weight means nothing. Losing measurable body fat is what matters.

I could cut my left leg off and drop 20-30lbs, but it doesn't benefit me.

Skelator03
05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
i strongly disagree with most these post first if you are eating right and lean you can have a meal that is 300 calories esp if cooked right. and while doing so working out heavy and making sure to take in around 1200 calories a day when overweight and cutting all your soft drinks and crap everyone drinks and taking the right vitamins it can be done very healthy and if he has lost 110 pds in that short of time doing this he was DRASTICALLY overweight taking in way more calories a day than needed

EDIT:
I was 240 and was use to being about 180 in highschool. My brother's mom is a doctor therefore with her help to watch everything i cut my intake down to 1200 cals aday and worked out heavy while making sure to drink nttn but water and tea and lost weight like described above but i worked out everyday and watched everything i ate but did it very healthy and correct

platypus
05-28-2009, 10:56 PM
tell him to drop the protein bars and probably one of the shakes, and replace them with fruits/veggies. or even solid foods that are high in protein, at least so he gets some other nutrients. i doubt he's supplementing, since you've described him as some kind of stubborn kid that thinks protein is god.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-29-2009, 02:27 AM
i strongly disagree with most these post
:confused:

malkore
05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
i strongly disagree with most these post first if you are eating right and lean you can have a meal that is 300 calories esp if cooked right. and while doing so working out heavy and making sure to take in around 1200 calories a day when overweight and cutting all your soft drinks and crap everyone drinks and taking the right vitamins it can be done very healthy and if he has lost 110 pds in that short of time doing this he was DRASTICALLY overweight taking in way more calories a day than needed

EDIT:
I was 240 and was use to being about 180 in highschool. My brother's mom is a doctor therefore with her help to watch everything i cut my intake down to 1200 cals aday and worked out heavy while making sure to drink nttn but water and tea and lost weight like described above but i worked out everyday and watched everything i ate but did it very healthy and correct

funny, cuz medical doctors are NOT EXPERTS in nutrition. if they were, we wouldn't have nutritionists and dieticians.
Also, "my brother's mom is a doctor..." Is she somehow not your mom too?

/sniffs...

Something smells funny here.

Mercuryblade
05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
funny, cuz medical doctors are NOT EXPERTS in nutrition. if they were, we wouldn't have nutritionists and dieticians.

Depends on the doc.

My mom's primary care doc is awesome. He really stays up to date on the latest medical literature, and helped her a lot with her diet (she had breast cancer and there are certain foods that have been suggested to be beneficial).

The average family doc probably isn't all that great, but then again the average dietician/nutritionist doesn't know a whole lot either.

LuNa
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM

/sniffs...

Something smells funny here.

LOL!!!!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I laughed for a good 5 minutes, thank you... lol.

Reko
05-30-2009, 02:31 AM
So a coworker of mine has been losing quite a bit of weight over the last several months. About 110lbs., to be exact.

But he sees that he lost all this weight by eating this, so therefore he thinks it's a good diet. What is this doing to his body?

What he wants to. People who go on crazy diets to bulk are doing the same thing but in the reverse.

If you co worker lost 110 pounds it sounds like he is doing pretty well. May be able to do better, but damn, losing 110 pounds is no joke.

Skelator03
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
sorry he is a guy i have grown up with my whole life so we refer to one another as brothers after spending 24 yrs together i guess thats ok she isnt just a doctor she is research doc working in a weight loss clinic with some other doctors to develop a weight loss therapy i could go more into it but i doubt most people really that worried just my two cents ;-)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
sorry he is a guy i have grown up with my whole life so we refer to one another as brothers after spending 24 yrs together i guess thats ok she isnt just a doctor she is research doc working in a weight loss clinic with some other doctors to develop a weight loss therapy i could go more into it but i doubt most people really that worried just my two cents ;-)
You really need to learn the proper use of punctuation.

Auburn
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, which do you think is worse, eating protein bars all day or carrying around an extra 110 lbs. of fat ass?

This is like the 400 lb. monsters leaving the ice cream store that will tell you "ephedrine is dangerous" between labored rhinoceros breaths.

Songsangnim
06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, which do you think is worse, eating protein bars all day or carrying around an extra 110 lbs. of fat ass?

This is like the 400 lb. monsters leaving the ice cream store that will tell you "ephedrine is dangerous" between labored rhinoceros breaths.

We don't know that all those 110 lbs were fat though. Looking at his diet, I'd be willing to bet that a fair amount of that was muscle mass as well...if he dropped 110 lbs in a few months, it would almost have to be (unless he was severely overweight to begin with).

OP like other people said, you can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped. Leave well enough alone.

Songsangnim
06-02-2009, 12:20 AM

First of all if any healthy male over 200 lbs is only eating 1200 calories a day for any extended period of time he is likely malnourished. Second we are all different so you can't set an arbitrary limit of 1200 calories per day. Thirdly just because he lost 110 lbs doesn't mean that he was drastically overweight...it could just mean that he lost so much weight because he was eating so little calories.

According to the site Vital Health Zone, 1200 calories is roughly the recommended intake for a three year old girl...(1165)

Skelator03
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
i didnt say that he had to do what i had done i was just sharing with you. he has a different body and a diff height weight build all of which are a factor. i understand you know what you think you know but for me i was not maintaing like your 3yr old that needs 1200 calories. I also didnt do it for extended time but with the right workout routine calorie cutting used correctly can get you to where you wanna be. thanks guy above me for telling me that you know what is the right way but from me to you i did it and it worked fine and got me to where i wanted to be without muscle loss and it happened dang fast. but to put it back on subject that guys diet from above is horrible and not well balanced when i was calorie cutting i had a crazy balanced diet with weighed portions and watch everything i did a drank for a couple months and then well after because its a lifestyle change not just a quick fix

Songsangnim
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
i didnt say that he had to do what i had done i was just sharing with you. he has a different body and a diff height weight build all of which are a factor. i understand you know what you think you know but for me i was not maintaing like your 3yr old that needs 1200 calories. I also didnt do it for extended time but with the right workout routine calorie cutting used correctly can get you to where you wanna be. thanks guy above me for telling me that you know what is the right way but from me to you i did it and it worked fine and got me to where i wanted to be without muscle loss and it happened dang fast. but to put it back on subject that guys diet from above is horrible and not well balanced when i was calorie cutting i had a crazy balanced diet with weighed portions and watch everything i did a drank for a couple months and then well after because its a lifestyle change not just a quick fix

I don't suppose you'd care to post up this diet of yours?

Tykimeister
06-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't have much to say about this "problem", but I would rather eat a diet like this than be 110 lbs over weight. Hell, I would rather be dead. But thats just me.