PDA

View Full Version : Back volume for Bench only lifters?

NickAus
05-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to know what sort of volume of back work is done by most Bench only lifters?
How high is the volume of back/rear delts for most?
Thank you!

BFGUITAR
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Bench only lifters? Or do you mean people preparing for a bench competition (as opposed to all three).
If you mean people who don't do any legs at all and only bench I would assume their back volume would be very high.

NickAus
05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks,
Yes Bench only lifters.
I still train legs they are just not the focus.

BFGUITAR
05-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Out of curiosity what are you training for where legs aren't the focus? Unless you can't walk or anything I would suspect that legs are just as important as you upper body and in many cases more important.

vdizenzo
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Out of curiosity what are you training for where legs aren't the focus? Unless you can't walk or anything I would suspect that legs are just as important as you upper body and in many cases more important.

Get off your high horse and just let him ask his question.

My answer is, I try to do as many pulling sets as I do pressing. I include rear delt and dl work as well as rows for pulling/back work.

NickAus
05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks,
I squat 550 @ 210.
I am really only interested in Benching as I like it so much.

Vinny what sets and reps do you like for your rows?

NickAus
05-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Squat would be 500-530 now, like I said not the focus.

Clifford Gillmore
05-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Have a look through Vincents journal Nick, its pretty consistant! 500+ Sqaut is no joke either.

NickAus
05-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks everyone,
Yep home now so will have a good look through his journal.
Thanks again.

BFGUITAR
05-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Get off your high horse and just let him ask his question.

My answer is, I try to do as many pulling sets as I do pressing. I include rear delt and dl work as well as rows for pulling/back work.

I was actually curious even if it sounded like I was about to go off on a rant. I don't know everything and perhaps there is a reason to focus on bench more then anything else.

isaku900
05-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I was actually curious even if it sounded like I was about to go off on a rant. I don't know everything and perhaps there is a reason to focus on bench more then anything else.

...if you compete in bench only...then there's a reason.

BFGUITAR
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Which is why I asked that in my first post :P

KoSh
05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks,
I squat 550 @ 210.
I am really only interested in Benching as I like it so much.

Vinny what sets and reps do you like for your rows?

Squat would be 500-530 now, like I said not the focus.

Your squat went down 20-50 pounds in a matter of ten minutes? Talk about atrophy :)

Listen to Vinny. He knows what he's talking about :)

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to know what sort of volume of back work is done by most Bench only lifters?
How high is the volume of back/rear delts for most?
Thank you!

I hit back and rear delts twice a week. Usually things go like this

M - lighter back and rear delts
T - GPP
W- ME Bench
Th- DE squat
F- heavy back and rear delts
Sat - DE bench

Good grief, he's in the powerlifting section so it's probably safe to assume when he says bench only that he's competing. Way to bust his balls over something small.

Rob Luyando
05-26-2009, 11:33 AM
If you want to be a strong bencher you have to learn to use every muscle in your body! Back is just as important as benching for results!

Clifford Gillmore
05-26-2009, 01:49 PM
M - lighter back and rear delts
T - GPP
W- ME Bench
Th- DE squat
F- heavy back and rear delts
Sat - DE bench

That looks similar to the EFS basic training outline, high intensity and low intensity days - but the shoulder/back work was setup on the DE/ME days respectively.

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM
That looks similar to the EFS basic training outline, high intensity and low intensity days - but the shoulder/back work was setup on the DE/ME days respectively.

That would be for full power guys.

All our full power guys do their back, lat and shoulder work on ME and DE bench day.

I only squat once a week so I can kinda spend that extra day working on my upper back and lats

NickAus
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Great thanks for the help guys.

"Your squat went down 20-50 pounds in a matter of ten minutes? Talk about atrophy"- 550 was my best, thought I best put what I am capable of now just in case someone made me prove it and post it on YOUTUBE.

Looks as though I am on the right track with my back work.